Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Some electrical questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some electrical questions...

I'm still having problems with the electrical systems in my car, and I have yet to figure it out.

First off, my remote locks no longer seem to work. I can unlock all of the doors by using the key, but pressing the remote button does nothing. It has new batteries, and the LED lights, so it should work.

Also, the battery seems to keep dying when it gets cold out. If I don't start the car every day, it'll die. The alternator seems to be putting out plenty of juice, and it was a new battery last year, so I'm thinking there must be a draw somewhere. The main battery ground is good.

I notice that when the car is off, all of the window switches stay lit up. Is this the way it should work? I would think that after the door closes when the car is off, all of the switch lights should go out. Could this cause enough of a draw to kill the battery? Or could it have something to do with the power locks?

Does anybody have a place for me to start? I don't really want to take it to my mechanic, cause I'm sure it'll be expensive to fix.

All advice appreciated.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd start by measuring the current drawn from the battery when the car is off.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I would replace the ignition switch. Here's why:

They are always suspect when odd things happen, and they are cheap and easy to replace. This problem could be an ignition switch but it might not be. If it was me, I'd do the switch first so I could be sure it was OK before getting into serious diagnostics.

Not saying the switch will fix the car, only that it is a good failure point to eliminate.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Some electrical questions...

Are you saying that after you open the door the power stays on the window switches? Have you checked the 2 position door switches? try opening another door other than the drivers to see if your lights go out, it should go off as soon as the door handle is pulled. It could be the ign switch as 4driver4 points out but I've seen this be the relay in the drivers footwell. i think its a 208?? It is the second small relay in on the left side behind the full width one. The full width one is the power window control module. I had those same types of problems with my 92. The 208 or 280 relay was one of them and the CLP was another.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Some electrical questions...

Well, some things to try. What do you mean by the two position door switch? Is that the switch by the door striker plate that is pushed in when the door is closed?

Also, was there a recall on having the ignition switch replaced? For some reason, I think I remember seeing one.

The relays that you mentioned are in the passenger side kick panel, or are they under the carpet? Whats the best way to get at them? Seems like there's a lot of trim to remove.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my windows keep working if any door is opened, but if you open drivers door they go off
Old 02-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What about the lights in the switches, do they always stay on...

or do they go off when the door is opened?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

have noticed, I'd guess they stay on untill the interior lights turn off
Old 02-23-2005, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: have noticed, I'd guess they stay on untill the interior lights turn off

Thats the door switch I was talking about. I was wondering if another door in your car defeated the power to the switch. But after reading fast4est's thread, I wonder if this is programable. The relay's are in the kick panel to the left of your feet. There is 1 screw under a cap in the kick panel, and remove the screw at the front of the door jam threshold. Then the kick panel will just pull out and you will see the relays. If you pull the front #(305?)full width relay, this should shutoff those switches to stop the battery drain until you get this figured out.
On my car if I open any door the window switch lights go out. I had a similiar problem with my 92 and found it to be the central locking pump by the battery's left side towards the door. The signal that allows you to close all your windows from the drivers door was causing my window switches to stay on. Hope this helps.
I can tell you that the power supplied to these switches will drain the battery overnight.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Reprogramming door locks

For programming the door locks try this:

There are two things to try. If the doors do not unlock when the infrared transmitter button is pressed, it is possible that the security codes of the key and the control unit in the car are out of synchronization. This can happen if the transmitter button on the key is pressed repeatedly when out of range of the receiver.
The security codes will be resynchronised automatically if the car is unlocked by turning the key in either of the front door locks within one minute after unsuccessfully trying to use the transmitter button.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to reprogram the central locking system:
1) Insert any of the car keys into the steering lock and switch on the ignition.
2) Lock the car with another key (preferably the one you're trying to reprogram) on the driver's or passenger's side. Remove the key.
3) Point the key that you are trying to reprogram at the infrared sensor and briefly press the button from 1 to 4 times. Pressing the button once will program memory position #1, pressing it twice will program position #2, etc.
4) The anti-theft horn will sound briefly after each signal to confirm proper reception.
5) Wait five seconds after the last push, and then push the button once again. The vehicle should unlock and the programming is finished.
6) The programming must be completed within 30 seconds after locking the car. If it does not, you have to repeat the procedure by re-locking the driver's or passenger's key.