Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Is the steering rack adjustable to prevent bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 AM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the steering rack adjustable to prevent bump steer

I read about bump steer - I think I have that problem. What is adjustable to line up the steering rack or tie rods so that they are parallel with the control arm?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No. All you can do is remove slop to the point that it won't recenter properly. Bump steer is...

based on the geometry of the control arms and the tie rod ends. You may have it but only if your car has been lowered alot (e.g. 2 inches (>1.5)).

I have not seen/heard anybody a) complaining about it or b) doing something about it.

HTH
Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Default highway driving seems sloppy --Re: No. All you can do is remove slop to the

I have stiff springs, koni shock, the famous hsrsb. Still, it seems like as the front suspension moves along bumps at 70 mph, the steering is difficult. I've tried everyting - alignment, I've replace every bushing, control arms, sway bar bushings... It handles an off ramp and pulls some G's, but strait line handling on a less than flat highway takes some effort. The steering rack has never been changed or moved. What is going on here? I've had the car for 10 years. With stiff springs it is much better. With stock springs, it was nearly impossible to drive on the highway - white knucking it.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Could be wear in the rack or tie rod end wear (was that in your list?). You can adjust the ...

steering rack lash to take some slop out. Its a lock nut and a threaded flathead screwdriver-driven "bolt" IIRC. Loosen the lock nut and turn the "bolt" in a bit. Tighten the lock nut (holding the bolt with the screwdriver) and go for a drive. Be aware that if you take too much lash out, the steering will NOT self center (and you need to back the adjustment off a bit).

YMMV
Old 05-19-2007, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My guess is you have bad tires...

I had a BMW that wandered all over the road and I was told it was a bad directional tread... and inherant to the odd shapening of the tire.

I was told to replace the tires or live with it.

My S6 tracks perfect on the freeway and doesn't wander much if any... I do STILL after having new tires mounted, wheels restored and refinished and rebalanced, have vibration at 70 mph and above.

I don't know if they just didn't balanace it correctly this time or what. I guess I should move the front wheels to the back and see if it makes a noticable difference.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default True.. I would have him check control arms/tie rod ends closely first...

Start there, and go down the list.

Sounds like your suspension is in good shape though, so it could be tires, as I mentioned.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Also, almost all of these cars tramline, probably more than you are used too with the 12V

These cars tend to wander when they are riding slight depressions in the highways caused by heavy trucks. Part of the reason is the wide tires. When I put my snows on for the winter it is much less noticeable. I think that if you are going to run 225 or wider tires on any car you will start to notice this. If you have larger wheels and are running less than 50 series tires it will be even worse. Sometimes you can make it a little better with proper alignment.

Check out the included link.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&amp;url=%2Ftires%2Ftiretech%2Ftechpage .jsp%3Ftechid%3D47%26amp%3Bcurrentpage%3D38">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47&amp;currentpage=38</a></li></ul>
Old 05-19-2007, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you might just need a new steering damper

STFA for VW Fox damper mod. Costs around $45 from your friendly VW dealership
Old 05-19-2007, 04:58 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

Default at least I am not alone -- a honda handles better than mine Re: Also, almost all of these cars

thanks for the response
Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

I just replaced it...the old one was shot...the new one made no difference --Re: you might just need

Quick Reply: Is the steering rack adjustable to prevent bump steer