Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

STFAd and still no 95 S6 start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STFAd and still no 95 S6 start.

Car died after work one night. It had been raining heavily all day. Water ingress through blower motor or blower motor gasket(leaf clogged drain). Dried out. No start. Got another ecu. No start. No codes in Vag-Com. Tested fuel pump yesterday. About 800ml in 15 s. @ 13.5V so I think that is solid. I haven't pulled a plug yet.
I'm thinking there is no spark or possibly the injectors aren't opening. I get power at the fuel pump fuse while cranking. I think that means my j17 relay is functioning properly. I even tried unplugging the MAF (Per Dave's checklist) to no avail. All the fuses above the ecu are good. I was wondering if I can check for spark by removing the coil/cover assembly and sticking a plug in one of the coils and laying it on the valve cover(like how I would check a lawn mower or any other non-coil on plug car). All of the coil and pos troubleshooting procedures seem to rely on a running engine. I might try to blink the codes since VAG-com didn't get any. I bought some l.e.d.s as I read there was a way to check the CPS, this way. I can't seem to find the link, again.
Any thoughts and/or advice?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found the led write-up on efiexpress.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You most definitely can remove the OE coil pack and lay it on the cam cover with five spark plugs in the coil boots, with plug threads touching the (grounding to) cam cover. The plugs could be old or new and not necessarily the ones out of the engine. If you remove the plugs from the head, you should disconnect all five fuel injector electrical connectors because you don't want fuel in the cylinders being sparked above the head (Ka-blooie). An assistant is necessary to turn key or observe.

There is also this (using 7A or 3B wires):

As for the Cam Sensor, GoHeels had the same issue in his thread. Post 24, page 3 of the thread shows the use of the LED light to test Cam sensor function.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2840967&page=3
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to test coil output by observing the spark at the plugs, install a plug in each coil wire so that all coils will have a ground for the output. This is the Audi service manual proceedure for testing coil output.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. Not sure why I didn't get emailed of your replies. I'm automatically subscribed and have selected the "instant email notification". I will try it with 5 plugs installed and injector wires pulled. I meant to add that I have power to the injectors with ign on. I think I'll double check the fuses around the ecu again, as well. Is the red one always hot and the others energized when the ignition is on? I bought this car 6 weeks ago, put a hundred miles on it and then this. Really fun hundred miles though!
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used a spark testor, pulled the fuel pump fuse and wrapped wire around each of the other 4 spark plugs and then around a ground bolt on the head to test.

Has helped me diagnose 2 coil issues quickly.

Ed
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lliejk
I used a spark testor, pulled the fuel pump fuse and wrapped wire around each of the other 4 spark plugs and then around a ground bolt on the head to test. Has helped me diagnose 2 coil issues quickly. Ed
I used to say pull the No. 17 FP fuse but the truth is there is still some pressure in the fuel rail and unless you pull the injector connectors, the ECU will open the injectors and fuel will be sent into the cylinders (bad idea). Pull the injector connectors = no longer an issue.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kapn.K
I meant to add that I have power to the injectors with ign on. I think I'll double check the fuses around the ecu again, as well. Is the red one always hot and the others energized when the ignition is on?
The red fuse is constant on. The yellow one is switched the black and the beige ones are energized once the ECU has good (> 13 RPM) crank speed sensor readings.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My thread email notifications seem to be working now so I feel like I've solved something. Checked spark with the spark plugs in all the coils and no spark. Seems like it's getting fuel as I got some mist out of the spark plug holes while cranking with the plugs out and injector plugs back on. Would the injectors even operate if there was a cps problem? I wonder if both pos's are blown?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

While cranking, I hear two clicks(relay) in the ecu that repeat while I'm cranking. ie: click, click, pause, pause,click, click, pause, pause,...Probably every half to 3/4 second. Cyclic, not random.

Quick Reply: STFAd and still no 95 S6 start.