Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Sway bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar questions

So I noticed my 93 S4 doesn't have the rear sway bar. What is involved in installing one? Are they only available on the 92's? What cars could I get the parts from?

I also read somewhere that the 92 UrS4 front sway bar was a bit beefier. Is this true? If so what would be involved in installing one in my 93? What cars could I get the parts from? Would it really be worth the effort?

I did browse the FAQ and didn't see anything. Also went through the FAQ on S-Cars.org to no avail, although I'll be getting rid of my topspeed limiter soon.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default beefier swaybar in the front = more understeer.

I would rather put one at the back and leave the front alone.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 92 S4 and the S6 avant had swaybars

leave the front bar alone unless you add rear bar first, bigger front bar can balance the addition of rear bar
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So can the rear sway be bolted on to my existing rear suspension....

.... or will I have to change other parts too?

How much thicker is the 92 front sway bar? I actually like the idea of getting a bit more oversteer too with only adding the rear sway bar. I loved how my 87 Rocco 16V handled with a stock front sway bar and AutoTech 25mm rear.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sway bar answered.

Front: 28mm vs 26mm

Rear: Short answer. NO. You will need a subframe from a 92 and you need to check the rear hub carriers to make sure the hole is there for the bracket that the heim joints fasten to.

Long Answer: YES, with the 93 subframe there is an adapter kit somewhere out there (forgot the name). That will get you the sway bar mounting points on the subframe. The hub carriers will still need the holes for the brackets. There are also "beefier" brackets out there for the HRSB.

MY 93 surprisingly had 1 hole on one hub carrier, but no hole in the other, leading me to believe at one point it was replaced.

I do possess the 92 hub carriers, but at this point I'm still waiting for my HRSB to arrive, which i ordered quite some time ago.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Sway bar questions

I replied to Corey on a differmnt thread about bars:

I found the specs on the bar, we had it fabricated (in 2002) at .875 diameter and used the OEM 95.5 s6 bar as a template. It is three way adjustable I have it set full hard. I had to have it redone at least once in order to prevent it from tearing up the CV boots. The s6 I believe had a stock bar so I didn't have to hassle with finding an early s4 subframe to mount it to. Also I believe the s6 and early s4's may have had thicker front bar. I believe we also put some aftermarket end links on the vehicle in order to get everything to work. You might be able to just drill the frame in order to put the brackets on, I don't know

I have not called the company that fab'd it I don't even know if they are still in business. The website is not up in any event. I was referred to this guy by the fellow that runs Addco, he had been with them and had gone off on his own, years ago Addco would fab a bar for you but didn't want to do it any more at the time. In order to duplicate this it would be necessary to either remove the bar form my car or use the stock bar from a 92 (I just happen to have a 92 parts car) to used as a template.

The car on the track (VIR, Savannah) pushes as all the Audis do going into the corner and is a bit loose coming out of a corner but very controllable with throttle steering. I think any heavier of a bar would be a bit too much.

Thanks,

Mark Underwood