Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Three things I learned about front bumpers at lunch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Three things I learned about front bumpers at lunch.

1. Sometimes there is a very good reason to back into a parking stall at the local mall that has big concrete curbs. (I drove in nose first and hung the bumper over the curb).

2. Once you have established that you are hung up, DO NOT back-off, figure something out. (I have done this before. Two people (one at each wheel well can often lift enough while you back up, or if the situation is right, you can surf (ghost ride) yourself off the curb by standing on the rear bumper and bouncing up and down gently.

3. If you are really done like I was at lunch, phone for help, e.g. friends or AAA. I was in a hurry so I phoned BCAA (AAA in BC). The guy was out in 10 minutes. Jacked the car up on one side behind the right front wheel with a trolley jack - gave me enough clearance to drive the car back - while still partially supported by the trolley jack.

Naturally, I didn't know I was hung up initially so Rule 2 above failed me and I did pull the bumper off the side clips. One side went back fine, the other is being stubborn and I will have to pull the bumper off, at least to check that the Apikol FMIC is fine.

The Lemonade out of lemons result is I will repaint the bumper (coloured part only) again, but this time with the proper Audi paint, not a close-match Ford paint.

Live and learn. Eventually, I might be real smart.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i don't see how ppl pull up that far

i never pull up for enough for my bumper to touch those concrete things. Your car is lowered, isn't it?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lowered. I was in a rush to stop blocking traffic and the spot sloped down to a rising bank. I never

even heard the bumper touch the curb. I am usually very cautious about curbs but in my haste, I screwed up. No permanent damage. Just time and one free AAA service wasted.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

at least you got it off w/o ripping it off, that's what counts
Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I wondered that too, and managed 4 years without a hitch...

Then one day I stopped at a rest stop on a long drive, a bit tired. I didn't drive over the curb though. As I was preparing to reverse out of the spot, I _rolled_ over the curb. I didn't realize that the parking lot was sloped toward the curb and wasn't paying enough attention... push the clutch in, a little too slow on the gas... crunch.

Fortunately in my case the bumper just came unclipped on one side and I was able to pop it back on. No harm done except to my epoxy job which had repaired the tear the previous owner left in the lower bumper cover.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It does happen, to the best of us, when the little grey cells, they go on a holiday.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default take a jack and push the jack over :)...

did that once when i was stuck in a snow bank
Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Reminds me of a day, two decades ago, in B.C....

There we were, my wife and I, driving a '77 Nova. We were in a residential neighborhood, and I went the wrong way, so needed to turn around. Instead of being smart, and going around the block, I decided to turn around in the street. As it happens, I backed over a concrete retaining wall, leaving the rear wheels hanging in space.

After thinking about in for a couple of minutes, I pulled out the crap-*** bumper jack, and jacked the bumper up about chest high (with my feet in the hole, of course.) I pushed the car off the jack, and that solved the problem.

Later I learned that the jack was not strong enough to do that, and that I could have really hurt myself. Ahhhh, youth.

I wouldn't have been able to do that with the UrS - not enough throw on the stock jack.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Spokane Connection?

smuggler =P
Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL.

No, Expo '86.

At the time, Thai pot was the "big thing", IIRC.

Those older neighborhoods in Vancouver have NARROW streets.

Quick Reply: Three things I learned about front bumpers at lunch.