Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Update on violent shaking issue, its there at idle with clutch in....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on violent shaking issue, its there at idle with clutch in....

The car starts fine, the engine does not try to die at all, the feel is more of a "bouncing" then anything, its noticeable at idle and taking off in low RPM's its really bad, specially up hill, the car has less power and the steering wheel really gets going, but you can feel it in the seat as well.

I have a poly snub mount and i looked at it, its still centered well and looks fine.

Do you guys think this could be an engine mount, would it cause bouncing like this and then smooth out in higher RPM's?

fast4est suggested the MAF, i have not yet tested it with my hesitation issue but i wouldn't think it would be a mount because of the low power... but i was watching the engine idle, and it was bouncing a little but sounded smooth and didn't miss or anything while running, thoughts are appreciated, the shaking/bouncing is bad enough i don't want to drive it because it feels like something is going to break.

If i was to disconnect the MAF, would i want the car running, have someone pull it and get on the gas so she doesnt die, or would i start it without the maf connected?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you running on all five cylinders?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have not pulled injector connectors yet, When its the worst if feels like im riding on egg shaped

wheels.

if a coil/POS was acting up and i was running on 4, would it ever cause that violent of a bounce? I am still at school now so i cant really check it yet.

the feel by itself to me would indicate a mount or some mechanism off balance.

The loss of power is completely throwing me i just dont get it because it really does not feel like an engine issue, im lost, thanks for the help ill check the spark with a tester tonight and see where it leads me.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Start with pulling the injector connectors to find the problem cylinder. Then reconnect and move

the POS connectors in a pair. Remove the injector connectors again (one at a time). If the miss moves, its a POS failure. If it doesn't move, you have a dead coil (or sparkplug) that needs investigation.

<bad feeling about your spark plugs - one is loose>
Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dave i was scared about the plugs too, i checked them last night before i drove it today

they are fine, not one was loose.

In your opinion will a miss cause this violent shake? have you seen that before?

My dads old 1988 honda would go through "spells" of rough running, and would die without constant gas pedal action and it shook too but you could hear it was running rough and it would die otherwise, mine isnt doing that at all.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Had a similar issue, used this procedure from the FAQ,.. turned out to be a bad POS channel...

Good luck with the diagnosis...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/115408.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/115408.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alright thank you, i will do, i dont mean to sound argumentative about it either, i will do the step

s and ill get back to you guys later, hopefully with a faulty cylinder.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dave im about to pull injector connections, got fault code 2341...

Heated Oxygen Sensor (OS2) (G 39)

Maximum control limit exceeded

Fuel tank less than 2.5 gallons reducing fuel pressure

could this be my issue, i haven't been low on gas lately and have not seen the engine light on.

im about to pull injectors unless otherwise instructed.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could imply your "new" fuel pump is taking early retirement. Carry on for now and see what you find
Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cylinder 1 is dead. no reaction at all to pulled injector. all others effect idle then it comes up

to speed.

I havent done my fuel pump yet dave, i drive around the city and if i go on any trips its on the to do list.

So, i need to read up on switching the POS channels and ill go do that now, i just haven't done it and need to know where to put the connectors.

Im happy i found the problem, ill be back after with POS, or Coil needs...

Quick Reply: Update on violent shaking issue, its there at idle with clutch in....