Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

What about alacantra Sport airbag wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about alacantra Sport airbag wheel?

So, walking through a parking lot today I got a good look at a new Porsche 997 GT3 (I work a block from Porsche NA headquarters, so lots of cool toys around).

Anyways, very sweet machine indeed.

One thing I liked was the interior was half alacantra, with alacantra door panel inserts and also steering wheel. The steering wheel looked slightly smaller diameter than the typical 997 wheel and the whole rim was covered in alacantra with nice stitching.

Man, it looked so hot. I am about to send my S6 Sport wheel out to be professionaly recovered.

I was going to have it done in OEM Audi vinyl (what they call "leatherette"), but seeing this wheel made me think...

Maybe I should have it re-covered in alacantra????

What do y'all think??? Anyone done it and have pics? Maybe I'll be the first... hah!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Alcantara", not "Alacantra", and it will wear thin too quickly. ;P

Mark my words, you'll regret it, unless you intend to recover the wheel often. My RS4 shift **** wore through in less than a year. Too high a "friction frequency", in my opinion. It looks great, though. Just not as practical on high-wear items. Sorry to be the naysayer, Dan. Do what you will. Again, it *would* look great.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default if you wear driving gloves while handling said wheel, it should last you longer than a few years

either way id just got leather. However i can understand your attraction, my friend got his 951 wheel covered in it but always wears gloves when he drives it
Old 03-04-2007, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get it covered in two tone air-leather aka brides-leather skip the suede - it wears too quick

I know I have an Alcantra RS6 wheel
Old 03-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Yes, good driving gloves are a must to keep down the oils from your hands.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okay, sounds like it isn't as practical as I thought.

I used to wear driving gloves when driving my '04 Volvo R wagon as I hated the feel of the leather on the wheel... and it kept my wheel looking great, but it's a PITA to wear all the time.

It sounds like OEM vinyl (which is much more durable than leather) is going to be the winner. I am pretty sure I can buy this stuff by the yard from the dealer, I just gotta figure out a part number.

But, hmm.. I guess I wouldn't mind a good set of driving gloves too. Does anyone know where to get a set of the mesh-backed driving gloves (old skool style)?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Anyone have a PN# for OEM Audi vinyl?

My 1994 S4 had a vinyl material on the steering wheel that looked leather, but held up much nicer.

I'd like to recover my Sport wheel in that. I am pretty sure the Audi dealer sells this stuff by the sq yard. Anyone have a part number for mid-90's vintage Audi OE vinyl??
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Default I could never find the traditional mesh backed driving gloves...

I ended up buying some form-fitting mechanic's gloves. They are Wells Lamont brand and the model is "Mech Pro." I think I paid $10 or less at Wal-Mart. They breath and don't get too hot in the summer.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I found these...

But, who wants to pay shipping from Japan?

Plus, not sure what 9,800 yen equates to. Hahaha<ul><li><a href="http://www.italiazakka.co.jp/shop/01_23_H5A002-10-en.html">Alfa driving gloves</a></li></ul>
Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Default About $85, not including shipping. Pretty hoity-toity, those Alfas.

I don't really care for the fingerless gloves, personally.

Quick Reply: What about alacantra Sport airbag wheel?