Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Where to purchase replacement key & remote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to purchase replacement key & remote?

I just purchased a 1995.5 S6 Avant which requires a little love

I received one master key at the time of purchase. I'm trying to find an online store to purchase a blank master and valet key. I'm also looking for a replacement remote.

Can anyone help? My Audi dealership quoted me $60 for a blank master key and $100 for a remote

By the way, the faqs page rocks!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You've already been there.

Stealership. Bring K-Y.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Everything you didn't want to know about 95.5 keys and remotes... REALLY REALLY LONG...

Heh heh total flashback - just went through all of this a few weeks ago. Note all this is 95.5+ only, older rigs get cheap old-skool keys that you can get done at any hardware store or whatever...

<b>Key Option 1 - The Stealer: </b>
Can be as much as $80 or more, often the retahds at stealer parts will insist it needs to be a smaht key and 'that's why it's so expensive' when it ain't and besides the transponder part of the key is cheap crap anyway rant rant rant.

Anyway, if you DO get a dealer key it should arrive as a full key, not a blank, pre-cut at the Audi secret command bunker to Ingolstadt approved perfection. Spozedly Audi took back all the key cutting machines from the dealers and insists on making them all themselves. A few dealers might still have the machines but they're now supposed to order them cut by Audi central parts command. If your dealer doesn't do that and wants to give you just a blank, you might try elsewhere since you're paying for the uber official master command bunker service in that high price.

<b>Key Option 2: DIY w/ Locksmith</b>
You can also get a locksmith to cut one but he has to be a modern type dude with <b>sidewinder</b> machines, and it's MUCH better if he has a computerized/electronic sidewinder than a 'manual trace' type cutter as then he can make a new key that's better than the used original - literally 'as good as new'. Note this is also why it's better to have Audi Central Command cut a key if you go the dealer route, as it will be brand new perfect instead of a traced copy.

For the blank, I got a key blank from <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-Audi-A4-S4-A6-S6-A8-S8-Key_W0QQitemZ180297284165QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 80297284165&_trkparms=72:727|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1 318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14"> FleaBay for $13</a>, it is an EXCELLENT real german key made of steel - better than the brass cheap knock offs. Don't worry about the years - the important thing is that it is an <b>"HAA"</b> code key (stamped on the shaft). Because frankly virtually all the modern Audi / VW keys are HAA keys you can really use any blank including switchblade remote style, it's just that the remotes won't work. More on that in a sec.

If you find an excellent locksmith as I did he can also get a range of blanks for you at similar or lower costs (my guy also had some cheap crappy ones but he loved the steel blank I brought in).

Be warned - this cost me around $40 JUST FOR THE CUTTING so total cost savings can be minimal. YMMV - some locksmiths don't charge such a premium for sidewinders (mainly if they only do the manual-trace option) apparently the computerized machine costs $10K or something. And obviously the dealer knows what the locksmith charges and vice-versa... I will say it was much more satisfying to give my money to a cool, friendly and customer service oriented locksmith than the snotty dealer punk bitch (my guy also has VAG-COM to do transponders and is an A4 owner...) He even cut a sample key on a test blank to ensure it was going to come out perfect from the computerized cut before touching my blank, which was perhaps worth the cost.

<b>Remote:</b>
Seems to be dealer only, have searched high and low for generic source to no avail. It happens to be a weird frequency (433.92mhz) and most of the other cheaper and knocked off Audi/VW keys &amp; fobs are all 434mhz or 315mhz. There were/are more options for similar fobs/remotes that MIGHT be compatible (aka 433.92mhz) in the VW/Audi stable but AFAIK these seem to be rare and perhaps were Euro part items - they never show up on the 'bay used or new. I have this as an ongoing project and next time I'm traipsing through Europe on biz I intend to try to find a used cheap VW 433.92 key/fob if possible to bring home and test...

FWIW the new remote fobs from the dealer are improved quality / design than original at least. Looks pretty much same on outside but housing is stronger and feels higher quality, and totally different circuit board inside and slightly better range than old ones.

Risking restating some of the FAQ info, the discount dealers would be the way to go - I got my brandy new remote for about $70 I think. These guys tend to hide behind generic names like "AudiSuperCheapDiscountParts.Com" rather than their actual dealership names - probably because they charge full retail if you're a normal customer who walks into the counter. To 'Out' some of them - here's three that seem to be pretty good on price, although no one is always the best IME:
<a href="http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214407">Miramar VW Audi</a>
<a href="http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215021">Riverside Audi</a>
<a href="http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/catalog/">Prime formerly Clair Audi</a>

Hope dat helps...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Everything you didn't want to know about 95.5 keys and remotes... REALLY REALLY LONG...

quattro5.v.2

Thank you!!!

Thank you for taking the time out of your Friday evening to help a fellow urS owner

Let me know when I can return the favor...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default NP. It's actually Saturday MORNING in China, I was drinking coffee and up early from jetlag.

plus I spent a hell of a lot of STFA and Google time trying to find options - figured it oughta benefit somebody!

maybe I'll snap some more 'Current Production Chinese C4 Variants' pictures for the C4 list this afternoon...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Slap remote starter on that thing

I have a bulldog security deluxe 500 on my cars - that thing has even turbo timer - long range! GOOD STUFF FOR CHEAPO! ~$100 ebay or some store @150.

You dont need any transponders or anything to bypass the stock system.

Just buy and Install
Old 10-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Skip.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why not just put in a different (cheaper) RF receiver and remote combo?

If it's an odd frequency and there is a lack of options, couldn't you just buy a cheap "keyless entry system" off Ebay and use the receiver/remote keyfob parts from it??

Who's done this??

Seems like it should be fairly simple, but haven't done it here yet.

I DID buy a remote keyfob for a '97 A6 off Ebay, thinking it would have used the same receiver or at least the same frequency. Changed out the batteries and went through the reprograming guide... No worky.

I was thinking I'd keep looking for someone parting out a later A6, and then swap out the receiver, but to be honest, I hate the size of that darn remote keyfob. It's just an bulky. I'd like to find one the size/weight of the original S6 remote (which looks a lot like an ebay cheapie system btw).
Old 10-11-2008, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My car has one, works perfect. Came installed, but the wiring under the back seat looks purty simple

Aside from the crappy rental car styled remote, I rate it at a "10". I can unlock the car a LONG ways away..
Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Repost: Converting a IR to RF using an aftermarket remote/alarm system

Originally posted by engleg with Link to the C4 100/A6 forum<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/81010.phtml">Bitte, Sie müssen hier klicken</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Where to purchase replacement key & remote?