Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Wierd noise from my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd noise from my tranny

So i have a o1e 6 speed and its making an odd noise only in first only off throttle decelerating in first only, I thought it was sounding like a galled first but when i remembered what that sounded like in my 94 it was under load when it made noise and sounded like a machine gun. This sounds like a light bicycle card on a wheel spoke.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 AM

Decelerating is a form of load on the tranny, I would think it might be galled??
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like you'll be heading to new hampshire shortly.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh you dont even know
Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

10K on a rs2 six speed it better not be galled
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Symptoms of First Gear Failure from Charlie Smith's webpage

SYMPTOMS OF FIRST GEAR FAILURE
================================================== ===============
How can I tell if I have the problem?

A description of the symptoms in a '95 S6, with 56,000 miles on the odometer.

The noise began as a very faint tic, tic, tic noise - but just when beginning to move in 1st gear when the car was cold and when it was 20F or 25F degrees outside. Sort of like the noise you made as a kid by putting a playing card into the spokes of a bicycle, but not that loud. Since it was cold, of course the windows were rolled up.

I dismissed the noise, as perhaps being due to something that oil had not yet reached, because once I would shift into 2nd for a few feet, and then back into 1st - the noise would be gone. I would only hear it on the first motion ... when I would be traveling at 2 or 3 MPH in a parking lot with very light throttle.

Anyway, by the time I had driven another 2000 miles, the noise was quite apparent, particularily if I would drive away with the windows rolled down. On disassembly, the damage to 1st gear was quite apparent. The rubbing surface of one tooth on the mainshaft was very badly galled away.<ul><li><a href="http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind5.html">http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind5.html</a</li></ul>
Old 03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dave or anyone else can someone get me the part number for the wide hard first

cause im going to rebuilt and have the goddam things cryo treated
Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drill down in the URL inside. Its gonna cost your mega $$$. Get a DSY instead.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/">http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There aren't many shops I'd trust to rebuild an 01E...

When the UrSes were new, dealers initially tried to rebuild transmissions under warranty. Audi (and owners) quickly found out that these transmissions don't respond well if they're assembled even a tiny bit off. Several owners I know had transmissions rebuilt 3 or 4 times, only lasting a few thousand miles before failing again. Audi ended up refusing to allow dealers to rebuild transmissions, and insisted on shipping them a complete new tranny instead.

German Transaxle (see link below) and the mysterious "Herr Kluge" have good track records with 01E's, but I'm not aware of anyone else that does, and even then it's $800-$1500 plus shipping to have them go through a trans depending on what's wrong with it.

FWIW, Charlie Smith (editor of the 01E site referenced elsewhere in the thread) has both rebuilt many Porsche transmissions and created his own tools to help with the process, but even Charlie sourced an RS2 trans rather than dig into his.<ul><li><a href="http://www.gtainc.biz/">German Transaxle home page</a></li></ul>
Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the guy from south africa that's on here just rebuilt his

Quick Reply: Wierd noise from my tranny