Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

Durable seat surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Durable seat surfaces

I haven’t been able to find if Audi EVs are changing over to synthetic seating surfaces (preferably vegan leather), but I see that many manufacturers are. My wife & I are readily acceptable to using recycled materials, but wonder about the durability… especially for a seating surface.

It’s difficult to find if car manufacturers are using a vegan leather especially engineered for carseats, so as to have confidence it will last 5-10 years. What are others learning from their research and practical experience?

Cork leather is the only form of vegan leather that has the same durability and lifespan as real leather. It is water and flame-resistant. Being a hypoallergenic material, it does not require special waxes or sprays for conditioning.

As a natural process from tree bark to vegan leather, cork is the plant equivalent of real leather. With qualities similar to real leather, cork leather is an ethical, highly durable alternative.
https://veganavenue.com/is-vegan-leather-durable/
Old 02-18-2023, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

I genuinely don't know the answer to this and I am not making fun of your question. But aren't leather seats the ultimate recycled use of a product? The animal was used for something and the hide turned into leather. It is durable and ages well.

I would only guess that the tank of chemicals used to grow a vegan leather cannot be healthy.