Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

FitCamX Rear Traffic Cam Install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FitCamX Rear Traffic Cam Install?

I purchased a FitCamX Front and Rear Traffic Cam combo. Installing the front camera seems to be elementary. Has anyone installed the REAR camera? The Audi trim along the roof doesn't seem to want to just pop off and let me slide the wire into or underneath it.
Old 12-02-2023, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by splion11
I purchased a FitCamX Front and Rear Traffic Cam combo. Installing the front camera seems to be elementary. Has anyone installed the REAR camera? The Audi trim along the roof doesn't seem to want to just pop off and let me slide the wire into or underneath it.
I chose to run a cable down the A pillar (between the trim and the glass) and tucked it under the door trim from there, such that it's entirely out of the way of the curtain airbag. I think that running it along the roof line may impede the airbag deployment.
The following users liked this post:
splion11 (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
I chose to run a cable down the A pillar (between the trim and the glass) and tucked it under the door trim from there, such that it's entirely out of the way of the curtain airbag. I think that running it along the roof line may impede the airbag deployment.
You replied at 17:16 local time for me and I finished about 20 minutes prior, LOL. I just slipped it between the rubber gasket and the headliner along the top of the door frame. I may need to re-run it, but since I only spent 20-30 minutes on it the first time, I'm willing to be wrong. To anyone else who plans on running the cable:
  1. A standard cable connects the front apparatus to the rear camera. Mine was 5.5m long, I ran it along the headliner and had an extra 1.5-2 m. If you damage the cord, you're looking at a ~$20 replacement.
  2. Tucking the cable under the headliner in the front wasn't easy and I'm still working on hiding it better.
  3. I simply tucked the wire under the rubber gasket along the top of the door and it isn't noticeable. The video that they sent was for a Toyota and they demonstrated pulling the gasket down, placing the wire and replacing the gasket. I just tucked it.
  4. The camera is setup so that the wire approaches the camera from the left side if you are looking at the camera from outside of the rear of the vehicle. I ran mine down the passenger's side since those doors get ~10% the use of my driver's side doors (me and the dog).
I'll add some of the photos of the pieces that I removed to perform the install.