Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

How the Q4 e-tron handles regenerative braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grue
Slapping the paddles down or up is easy to do with your hands on the wheel and allows somewhat finer control. I use them frequently, albeit in efficiency mode so it reverts to coasting once I touch the throttle again… it wasn't until this thread that I learned that Dynamic doesn't work the same way, and I'll be doing some experimentation.

B mode I do not use, despite coming from a Tesla and enjoying one-pedal driving.

I think the difference for me is that the audi will not come to a complete stop and hold with B-mode, so it's basically pointless to me.
Having now had our Q4 e-tron for several days, I find I’m not using the “B” mode either. I tried the “automatic” recuperation mode, and I can see where some drivers might prefer paddle regen to revert back to coasting after the regen situation had passed, but I find driving situations lasting longer than experiencing a single event. I have automatic turned off, and rely on the paddles. It’s good to know that the e-tron will still rely heavily on regen, even when using the brake pedal, and my experience thus far is that the blending of friction brakes with regen is perfectly transparent.
The following users liked this post:
JNealCox (09-04-2023)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there, I'm a little late to the party. Had the Q4 E-Tron 40 for going on 6 months now. Never used B the whole time we've drove it. I have no problem with one-pedal driving but my wife and I have found the coasting so much more comfortable. The blended braking system in the Audi also means that simply applying the brakes regenerates the battery, albeit with slightly less efficiency than the natural regenerative braking of one-pedal drive.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCooney
Hi there, I'm a little late to the party. Had the Q4 E-Tron 40 for going on 6 months now. Never used B the whole time we've drove it. I have no problem with one-pedal driving but my wife and I have found the coasting so much more comfortable. The blended braking system in the Audi also means that simply applying the brakes regenerates the battery, albeit with slightly less efficiency than the natural regenerative braking of one-pedal drive.
Personally, I cannot imaging using one-pedal in every situation and, early on, I found myself slipping into ‘B’ mode only in stop&go traffic and between downtown stop lights. In fact, I’ve gotten so used to the automatic regen mode it has spoiled me to the point of forgetting about one-pedal, using the paddles only to manage my speed on extended downhill stretches. In ‘automatic’ mode I’m finding it manages stop&go just fine, and will even manage the distance to the car in front without me touching the brake pedal at all. Only if I need to come to a complete stop do I need to use the brake pedal, but that would be the case in any of the e-tron’s regen modes.

In my humble opinion, only Audi offers the EV driver every regen mode for every situation, and for every type of driver or driving…

Cheers from The Avalon
Old 01-18-2024, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rarewolf
Personally, I cannot imaging using one-pedal in every situation and, early on, I found myself slipping into ‘B’ mode only in stop&go traffic and between downtown stop lights. In fact, I’ve gotten so used to the automatic regen mode it has spoiled me to the point of forgetting about one-pedal, using the paddles only to manage my speed on extended downhill stretches. In ‘automatic’ mode I’m finding it manages stop&go just fine, and will even manage the distance to the car in front without me touching the brake pedal at all. Only if I need to come to a complete stop do I need to use the brake pedal, but that would be the case in any of the e-tron’s regen modes.

In my humble opinion, only Audi offers the EV driver every regen mode for every situation, and for every type of driver or driving…

Cheers from The Avalon
Yes, agreed. I don't know of any other EV that my wife could have jumped into from a lifetime of ICE vehicles and drive with no learning curve. One thing I do wonder - while learning to drive, I was told never to "coast" because I'm not in full control of the car. In Audi Efficiency mode in D, I find the feeling of coasting to be very similar to pushing the clutch in on a manual car and riding it downhill. Is coasting in an Audi EV different from coasting in a manual ICE vehicle?
Old 01-18-2024, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCooney
Yes, agreed. I don't know of any other EV that my wife could have jumped into from a lifetime of ICE vehicles and drive with no learning curve. One thing I do wonder - while learning to drive, I was told never to "coast" because I'm not in full control of the car. In Audi Efficiency mode in D, I find the feeling of coasting to be very similar to pushing the clutch in on a manual car and riding it downhill. Is coasting in an Audi EV different from coasting in a manual ICE vehicle?
I believe coasting is unsafe because acceleration offers as much lateral control (e.g, in a turn) over the car as does braking. However, while the Audi e-tron is in “coast” regen mode, acceleration is always available to you, unlike putting an ICE vehicle's transmission in neutral…
Old 01-18-2024, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Excellent, just something I wondered about!

Otherwise, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Audi, extremely comfortable, looks great, drives beautifully, I have a 6 month old daughter and driving around in what feels and drives like a cross between a spaceship and a tank is very reassuring!
rarewolf (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Cheers from The Avalon
The etron Q8/Quattro does not have B mode. However, use my paddles in Manual mode, and find on "stop&go" traffic, the highest paddle setting works very much like "one pedal lite". You might find you don't even need to use B mode for those situations. The % regen in the highest setting seems perfectly tuned for using for "local" streets or clogged freeways.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
The etron Q8/Quattro does not have B mode. However, use my paddles in Manual mode, and find on "stop&go" traffic, the highest paddle setting works very much like "one pedal lite". You might find you don't even need to use B mode for those situations. The % regen in the highest setting seems perfectly tuned for using for "local" streets or clogged freeways.
No dedicated “one-pedal” mode… interesting.

Speaking of the Q8… I don’t know if it’s the Q8 or Porsche EVs, but I had heard that, along with ‘comfort’ and ‘dynamic’ driving modes, they include a ‘snow’ mode that disables the more aggressive regen modes. Can you confirm?

Last edited by rarewolf; 01-18-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

No dedicated lone-pedal” mode… interesting.

Speaking of the Q8… I don’t know if it’s the Q8 or Porsche EVs, but I had heard that, along with ‘comfort’ and ‘dynamic’ driving modes, they include a ‘snow’ mode that disables the more aggressive regen modes. Can you confirm?
Snow mode is not on the Q8.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

No dedicated “one-pedal” mode… interesting.

I think that snow mode is a Porsche Macan thing. But we will find out for sure this week.

By the way, Porsche has said that they will not implement OPD "ever".

For most other manufacturers I would say that means it is coming very soon, but Porsche has one of the. Most loyal followings and they build for "Porsche" people, not people who want "go-cart" driving.
rarewolf (01-19-2024)

Quick Reply: How the Q4 e-tron handles regenerative braking