Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

Plug and Charge

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plug and Charge

I had a question out to my sales person regarding how to set up Plug and Charge on the Q4, but never got a response back outside of “I’m not certain. Let me look into it and get back to you.” So today I contacted Audi Business Support to see how to go about setting it up and was informed it was not available on the Q4, even though there is a section about it in the Owner’s Manual, and also an option to turn it on and off in the MMI (once an active contract has been established in the MyAudi app.) When I asked the rep why this wasn’t available on the Q4 when the id.4 has it, she couldn’t provide a reason; nor could she answer if Audi has plans to offer this feature in the future.

Does anyone here know why P&C isn’t available on the Q4 and/or if there are plans to offer it in the future?
Old 02-16-2024, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

It is simply stunning that today, Audi and VW cannot Plug and Charge consistently on their own Electrify America network, yet Ford can.

What is it that Porsche figured out and why can't those engineers share that information within the hierarchy of VW?

I no longer have a dog in the fight. Audi has finally come out and simply admitted that Plug and Charge will NEVER be supported on the '19 e-tron despite it being sold as being Plug and Charge capable (software update coming, we promise). But here we are, five years later and not all Audi EV's can Plug and Charge yet.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
It is simply stunning that today, Audi and VW cannot Plug and Charge consistently on their own Electrify America network, yet Ford can.

What is it that Porsche figured out and why can't those engineers share that information within the hierarchy of VW?

I no longer have a dog in the fight. Audi has finally come out and simply admitted that Plug and Charge will NEVER be supported on the '19 e-tron despite it being sold as being Plug and Charge capable (software update coming, we promise). But here we are, five years later and not all Audi EV's can Plug and Charge yet.
No, the 2019 was NEVER advertised as ever being P&C compatible. Very early on Audi stated that the hardware in the 2019 would not support P&C.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JNealCox
No, the 2019 was NEVER advertised as ever being P&C compatible. Very early on Audi stated that the hardware in the 2019 would not support P&C.
@JNealCox I feel like you and I go back and forth about this all the time. The 2019 absolutely was sold as being ISO 15118 compliant and we were told to wait for the software update that unfortunately never came. But you are Audi's dream customer because they simply outwaited you. It has taken them so long to provide a promised service that in your mind, the service must have been promised later.

From 2019 onward, charging will be even more convenient for Audi customers. This is when the Plug & Charge function will be introduced. It enables the Audi e-tron to authenticate itself at charging stations via state-of-the-art cryptographic procedures, after which it is authorized – the card will no longer be necessary. This requires a valid charging contract with the e-tron Charging Service. All Audi e-tron models rolling off the assembly line from mid-2019 will support this function as standard.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
@JNealCox I feel like you and I go back and forth about this all the time. The 2019 absolutely was sold as being ISO 15118 compliant and we were told to wait for the software update that unfortunately never came. But you are Audi's dream customer because they simply outwaited you. It has taken them so long to provide a promised service that in your mind, the service must have been promised later.
LOL, I guess the key word is "mid-2019". My c2019 was a pretty early Build, so I harbored no dreams of P&C.from the get go. I have it in my Q8 etron and it works pretty well. Still, I shudder to think how well it might have worked in 2020.

Last edited by JNealCox; 02-17-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The problem you're facing, with sales and support people not knowing if the Plug and Charge feature is available for the Audi Q4, shows there's some confusion at Audi about this feature for that car model. Plug and Charge lets you easily pay and authenticate at charging stations without needing extra cards or apps because it's built into the car's system. But whether a car has this feature can change a lot depending on the car model and the year it was made, even within the same car brand.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AlainaPorter
The problem you're facing, with sales and support people not knowing if the Plug and Charge feature is available for the Audi Q4, shows there's some confusion at Audi about this feature for that car model. Plug and Charge lets you easily pay and authenticate at charging stations without needing extra cards or apps because it's built into the car's system. But whether a car has this feature can change a lot depending on the car model and the year it was made, even within the same car brand.
What? Your car is either ISO 15118 compliant or not. You are over complicating...something.

Yes, Audi has chosen to activate arbitraritly based on moth year groups, but Q4 e-trons, Q8 e-trons and OG e-trons are all ISO 15118 compliant.

As this is the Q4 e-tron forum, my question was based on the fact that the Q4 e-tron's sister vehicle the ID.4 recently had its Plug and Charge activated via an OTA.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I stated that my sales person did not know and indicated he would need to find out. Audi Support stated that P&G was not available on the Q4 at this time and had no information as to future availability. It’s pretty obvious from the existence of P&G in both the MMI and the owner’s manual that Audi expected to have this feature available on the Q4 at some point. My question is not if the Q4 architecture can support it as it obviously can, but rather why is this feature not yet available on the Q4 and does anyone know of plans to activate it in the future.
The following users liked this post:
grue (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

They made a significant point of calling out that the 3669 (?) -> 3812 OS update service campaign for the car is to add the plug and charge functionality to the 2022 US vehicles (which I can confirm my car did not have before, and now does, though of course it's not enabled), which at least implies they'll be doing something with it. Eventually. Maybe.

I've gotta say, the crappy software does not do any favors when it comes to me thinking ahead about what I'll eventually replace my Q4 with. 15-ish months later I still can't plug and charge, the carplay implementation is finally stable with the update but still doesn't talk to the virtual cockpit or HUD for nav stuff (it does on the ID4), you still have to manually tell the car to use the saved charge settings every time you park, the mobile app can't lock/unlock… sigh.

The following users liked this post:
davjo68 (02-22-2024)