Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

Q4 Electrical System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q4 Electrical System Malfunction

New to the forum and new to Audi e-trons.

Love my new (3 months old) Q4, but all of a sudden at a busy intersection, the car died on my wife, giving the dreaded warning on the dash "Electrical System Malfunction" Please exit safely. Car wouldnt drive, powered it on, off, waited, nothing. Lights, radio etc worked fine but car wouldnt drive. As the tow truck was coming, she powered it on again and, voila, it worked. Dealer said they see the error code but have no idea what caused it. Have had car for over a week and cannot simulate the error or know what it was. Any idea? They said they understand if we believe its a safety issue and can kick the case up to Audi USA to see. Its a new lease we wanted to pay off but not sure if this is a lemon. Any advice? Apparently not a software issue but they seem clueless as to what caused it. Thanks Audi Forum.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:27 AM
vqv
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by otheil@yahoo.com
New to the forum and new to Audi e-trons.

Love my new (3 months old) Q4, but all of a sudden at a busy intersection, the car died on my wife, giving the dreaded warning on the dash "Electrical System Malfunction" Please exit safely. Car wouldnt drive, powered it on, off, waited, nothing. Lights, radio etc worked fine but car wouldnt drive. As the tow truck was coming, she powered it on again and, voila, it worked. Dealer said they see the error code but have no idea what caused it. Have had car for over a week and cannot simulate the error or know what it was. Any idea? They said they understand if we believe its a safety issue and can kick the case up to Audi USA to see. Its a new lease we wanted to pay off but not sure if this is a lemon. Any advice? Apparently not a software issue but they seem clueless as to what caused it. Thanks Audi Forum.
This has happened to me on three separate occasions over the past 13 months. The first time just over a year ago I had to tow the car to the dealer and it was there for a couple weeks while they replaced a connector/wire. I escalated the issue to Audi USA because the car was just a few months old.

Then just a month ago I got the error again and the car would not move. I waited a few minutes and tried powering on/off the car and the error finally went away. Then most recently it happened to me two days again. I tried powering off/on and kept getting the error. Then I tried rebooting the MMI and starting the heater. Then the error finally went away.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I have the same thing on my MY2022. Happens only once every few months maybe. Always happens on driveway before starting (so far). Need to walk way for 30 minutes after locking the car to allow software to reboot. Next time I might try rebooting infotainment by long pressing the on button. After 30 minutes it is like nothing ever happened but this is very concerning because it could possibly happen while driving.

Dealer did a lot of resetting first time around but could not find a conclusive issue. It appears software related. Very annoying. Will be interesting to know how widespread it is. If not happening to everyone, that is weird, must be a hardware component or sensor that os sending bad info back to the software.

Last edited by sbt007; 04-30-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sbt007
Yeah, I have the same thing on my MY2022. Happens only once every few months maybe. Always happens on driveway before starting (so far). Need to walk way for 30 minutes after locking the car to allow software to reboot. Next time I might try rebooting infotainment by long pressing the on button. After 30 minutes it is like nothing ever happened but this is very concerning because it could possibly happen while driving.

Dealer did a lot of resetting first time around but could not find a conclusive issue. It appears software related. Very annoying. Will be interesting to know how widespread it is. If not happening to everyone, that is weird, must be a hardware component or sensor that os sending bad info back to the software.
I have had my 2024 Audi Q4 55 Premium Plus for a total of 5 days. 2 days in, the MMI screen completely froze on me. The Audi dealer did a hard reset and sent me on my way. 2 days later, I got an electrical system malfunction warning in yellow and on my app it said my “electric drive was defective”.I have brought it back into the shop. I am fairly angry though they have given me a nice rental car. I am glad it’s a lease and I do not own it. I am assuming we’re going to have to Lemon this thing ant some point. Any suggestions or similar issues faced by others? Just shocked this had happened with less than 100 miles on it and less than 5 days.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sorry to Hear That

Originally Posted by hoping for the best
I have had my 2024 Audi Q4 55 Premium Plus for a total of 5 days. 2 days in, the MMI screen completely froze on me. The Audi dealer did a hard reset and sent me on my way. 2 days later, I got an electrical system malfunction warning in yellow and on my app it said my “electric drive was defective”.I have brought it back into the shop. I am fairly angry though they have given me a nice rental car. I am glad it’s a lease and I do not own it. I am assuming we’re going to have to Lemon this thing ant some point. Any suggestions or similar issues faced by others? Just shocked this had happened with less than 100 miles on it and less than 5 days.
As someone who had a Q40 on order, but switched to a Q5e plugin due to changing availability, I and others who are thinking about purchasing a Q4 in the near future would deeply appreciate keeping us updated on any of these electronic problems. Since they are in the second or third year of this vehicle, one would assume that the kinks would have been resolved by this time.

Old 06-13-2024, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2024 Q4 - Electrical System Malfunction

At least I was in my own driveway when this happened…but went to leave this morning and I got the dreaded bright red alert, accompanied by a very odd space ship sounding noise. Car locked in neutral. Tried resetting a few times before calling roadside. Then we tried it again when he was here an hour later. Towed to dealer, they’ve had it for over 6 hours and said they don’t have an answer yet. Oh, and no loaners for 2 weeks.

I love my car but this is the second issue I’ve had it with and am within the lemon law for Massachusetts. Seriously considering filing.