Audi Q6 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q6 e-tron SUV.

Is hand-free driving coming to the Q6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is hand-free driving coming to the Q6?

More and more manufacturers now offer some type of hands-free driving on highways where you don't need to touch the steering wheel for long periods (dozens of miles). Those systems typically monitor your eyes to ensure you pay attention. BMW now has such system in the iX called Highway Assist, Cadillac Lyriq has Super Cruise, Mercedes Benz has something called Drive Pilot which is actually Level 3 autonomous driving.

Anyway, is something similar coming to the Audi Q6? I know it hasn't officially launched but are there some rumors? or some signs pointing to it?

BTW, in case I get flamed, just know I love driving but there are times where you're in traffic on a highway and those systems are just awesome in those situations.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by patbras
More and more manufacturers now offer some type of hands-free driving on highways where you don't need to touch the steering wheel for long periods (dozens of miles). Those systems typically monitor your eyes to ensure you pay attention. BMW now has such system in the iX called Highway Assist, Cadillac Lyriq has Super Cruise, Mercedes Benz has something called Drive Pilot which is actually Level 3 autonomous driving.

Anyway, is something similar coming to the Audi Q6? I know it hasn't officially launched but are there some rumors? or some signs pointing to it?

BTW, in case I get flamed, just know I love driving but there are times where you're in traffic on a highway and those systems are just awesome in those situations.

"Flame" averted!
Old 01-21-2024, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

More and more technology is making us lazy
Old 01-26-2024, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Mercedes is the only one with hands free driving. The others claim they have it but they don't.

Level 3 is more about legal liability than what the technology can do. Mercedes is the only one that will take responsibility if you crash your car while hands free. Don't take your hands off the wheel for any reason on any other brands... it's just not smart thing to do. If Tesla or GM don't trust their technology enough to take legal liability, you shouldn't trust your life with it either. But more importantly, other people's lives.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was more curious about Level 2+ where you're still required to pay full attention to the road and be ready to take over quickly but doesn't need to keep your hands on the steering wheel - same as GM SuperCruise and BMW Highway Assist. Both of those systems have really great reviews.

Similar to Adaptive Cruise Control which is super safe and super useful, Level 2+ is just the next natural step.