Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

2020 Q8 vs 2020 X5 M50i which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Knowing Audi and having had a total of 5 different one's I think they will over price the SQ8 and the SQ7 they always do the same thing with their vehicles. I have been burned a number of times.. They are grat cars and I do like them or I would not have purchased them. I still feel like they did with the new RS5 they just overpriced them and over produced them and that is why the resale value is crap. I was thinking about a lease but the numbers did make sense but in hind sight I lost more by buying.
The new RS6 is one I would be very leary of just from what my Audi dealer is telling me that more than likely they will get over list. I would never pay over list for any car but because of what happened with the RS5 my eyes are wide open when it comes to buying a new Audi vs leasing one. I won't get burned like this again.
The following users liked this post:
BreedsAs (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:23 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Well SQ7 pricing announced today:
2020 Audi SQ7 Prem Plus $84,800 Prestige $90,400

So roughly $20k more than a Q7 55 TFSI...if the same will apply to the SQ8 we'll be looking at $92k-98k

2020 Audi SQ7 balances the performance of a 500-horsepower V8 engine with premium seven-passenger practicality - Audi Newsroom
The following users liked this post:
BreedsAs (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by AntS6
Knowing Audi and having had a total of 5 different one's I think they will over price the SQ8 and the SQ7 they always do the same thing with their vehicles. I have been burned a number of times.. They are grat cars and I do like them or I would not have purchased them. I still feel like they did with the new RS5 they just overpriced them and over produced them and that is why the resale value is crap. I was thinking about a lease but the numbers did make sense but in hind sight I lost more by buying.
The new RS6 is one I would be very leary of just from what my Audi dealer is telling me that more than likely they will get over list. I would never pay over list for any car but because of what happened with the RS5 my eyes are wide open when it comes to buying a new Audi vs leasing one. I won't get burned like this again.
Life is a long lesson if various topics so I'm sure you have another one hammered down.
I too would never pay over list for anything. Just not happening. I don't care about hype. What Audi did with the current generation RS5 is a stain to the Audi Sport history and brand. I'm sure they won't repeat it.

The RS6 is nice and cool, but the demand they're seeing for that wagon is from Audi fans. That hype will also level off and I don't see it moving much because it's a wagon in the US at the end of the day. Does never do well.

Look at powerful wagons of the past. Like the E63(s) wagon, the CTS-V wagon, the Dodge Magnum SRT, etc. The future for it is bleak in terms of US sales.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Well SQ7 pricing announced today:
2020 Audi SQ7 Prem Plus $84,800 Prestige $90,400

So roughly $20k more than a Q7 55 TFSI...if the same will apply to the SQ8 we'll be looking at $92k-98k

2020 Audi SQ7 balances the performance of a 500-horsepower V8 engine with premium seven-passenger practicality - Audi Newsroom
If the SQ8 Prestige is $100k+ after options, they can keep it. I'm not paying that. At that price level, it'll be really close to the RSQ8 and that small gap in pricing will kill the resale on one of those models, if not both.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:04 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
If the SQ8 Prestige is $100k+ after options, they can keep it. I'm not paying that. At that price level, it'll be really close to the RSQ8 and that small gap in pricing will kill the resale on one of those models, if not both.
No way... the RSQ8 will get the RS "tax" applied and be at least $115k+.
I mean you get some nice options in an S5 SB and you are at $67k you do the same for the RS5 SB without adding anything like CCB or other carbon or dynamic RS specific packages and you are at $83k so add $16k to your $100k optioned SQ8 to get the RSQ8.
(Note: I think some people might forget the driver assist features become a $3700 option on the RS5 which is standard on the $67k S5 Prestige. Which is great if you don't want that package, but apples-to-apples you have to add it.)

If I could get a $100k RSQ8 optioned they way I would want I'd be the first in line.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
No way... the RSQ8 will get the RS "tax" applied and be at least $115k+.
I mean you get some nice options in an S5 SB and you are at $67k you do the same for the RS5 SB without adding anything like CCB or other carbon or dynamic RS specific packages and you are at $83k so add $16k to your $100k optioned SQ8 to get the RSQ8.
(Note: I think some people might forget the driver assist features become a $3700 option on the RS5 which is standard on the $67k S5 Prestige. Which is great if you don't want that package, but apples-to-apples you have to add it.)

If I could get a $100k RSQ8 optioned they way I would want I'd be the first in line.
I'm fine with a $120-$125k RSQ8 after options. I never choose many options.
I always tell people, choose trim levels over packages and options. It's cheaper that way because some trim levels include those options like you mentioned above.

I also normally customize my cars, so I would prefer to save those funds for later because fully optioned cars lose more value ($ wise) than customizations that I can always take off and sale separately if things don't go as planned when I go up to sale it.

A optioned $105k SQ8 to an equally optioned $125k RSQ8 is too close. It'll affect the worth of one of the two, depending on power output.
Look at the Mercedes G63 AMG vs the G550. There's a price difference of $20-$25k, and even Mercedes says most people opt for the AMG with such a "small" gap.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:26 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

I'm fine with a $120-$125k RSQ8 after options. I never choose many options.
I always tell people, choose trim levels over packages and options. It's cheaper that way because some trim levels include those options like you mentioned above.

I also normally customize my cars, so I would prefer to save those funds for later because fully optioned cars lose more value ($ wise) than customizations that I can always take off and sale separately if things don't go as planned when I go up to sale it.

A optioned $105k SQ8 to an equally optioned $125k RSQ8 is too close. It'll affect the worth of one of the two, depending on power output.
Look at the Mercedes G63 AMG vs the G550. There's a price difference of $20-$25k, and even Mercedes says most people opt for the AMG with such a "small" gap.
Yeah I guess everybody is different, and MB buyers are different from everyone else.
A 20-25% price difference is not small to me but maybe at $100k price levels it becomes irrelevant.
As it is I would love an RS6 but I get the feeling it will be in the $120k range like the RSQ8 which is over 40% more than what I paid for my heavily optioned S6, just seems like too much. Could get a lesser optioned RS5 AND a base Q5 or A4 allroad "beater". Ha.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Yeah I guess everybody is different, and MB buyers are different from everyone else.
A 20-25% price difference is not small to me but maybe at $100k price levels it becomes irrelevant.
As it is I would love an RS6 but I get the feeling it will be in the $120k range like the RSQ8 which is over 40% more than what I paid for my heavily optioned S6, just seems like too much. Could get a lesser optioned RS5 AND a base Q5 or A4 allroad "beater". Ha.
Its no small difference for me either! Trust me.
Thing is, at least 80% of people getting these performance or $100k+ SUVs are leasing new. Which makes sense because of depreciation.
Thing is, is that a lease on a car that is $20-30k more (after TTL) over 36 months is not much of an increased car payment. They will look at it a "just a couple of hundred."

Now the SQ8 and RSQ8 both have twin turbo V8s. Odd Audi chose to do that. The only difference between the models, outside styling, looks to be the 48v mild hybrid system on the RS variant. Better fuel economy, better acceleration, and one more thing to break. 🤔
Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Its no small difference for me either! Trust me.
Thing is, at least 80% of people getting these performance or $100k+ SUVs are leasing new. Which makes sense because of depreciation.
Thing is, is that a lease on a car that is $20-30k more (after TTL) over 36 months is not much of an increased car payment. They will look at it a "just a couple of hundred."

Now the SQ8 and RSQ8 both have twin turbo V8s. Odd Audi chose to do that. The only difference between the models, outside styling, looks to be the 48v mild hybrid system on the RS variant. Better fuel economy, better acceleration, and one more thing to break. 🤔
Ah yes, i guess in terms of lease, makes sense.

The V8 doesn't strike me as too odd since C7 S7 & RS7 were both 8's. Of course annoying the C8 S6/S7 doesn't get the 8.
AFAIK both the SQ8 and RSQ8 have the mild hybrid system. The RS just has more power as expected.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Ah yes, i guess in terms of lease, makes sense.

The V8 doesn't strike me as too odd since C7 S7 & RS7 were both 8's. Of course annoying the C8 S6/S7 doesn't get the 8.
AFAIK both the SQ8 and RSQ8 have the mild hybrid system. The RS just has more power as expected.
If that's the case, then the SQ8 is sounding a lot better now! 🤤
The engine still may be different as far as beefed up internals though. That could be why the uptune on the RSQ8 can handle it. That's how it was between the C7 S7 & RS7.

Quick Reply: 2020 Q8 vs 2020 X5 M50i which one?