Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

2021 SQ8 Low Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SQ8westcoast
all of my BMWS came with a liter of oil in a dedicated OEM zip bag , they were notorious for burning oil ( all V8s )
My 2021 SQ8 also came with a liter of oil in a dedicated OEM bag....

Dave
Old 06-11-2021, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Audi V6 engines, and especially V8, consume a lot of oil in the first few thousand miles. Usually after the first oil change, this phenomenon stops and there is no need to top up the oil or need to add it very little between the next oil changes.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Audi V6 engines, and especially V8, consume a lot of oil in the first few thousand miles. Usually after the first oil change, this phenomenon stops and there is no need to top up the oil or need to add it very little between the next oil changes.
................so do Audis come with a litre of oil like BMWs ?? This will be my first one ??
Old 06-12-2021, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Our SQ5 didn't use a quart at 10k & still doesn’t use oil…at 40k+ it is never a quart low between service intervals of 10k. My 2020 Mercedes was the same not even close to a quart low at 10k. My GMC Denali 6.2 V8 didn’t burn oil…never has been a quart low. I wonder if Dealers don’t say it’s normal because they know Audi won’t replace the engine for oil consumption.
IMO, excess oil use is not normal with the tight manufacturing tolerances today.
The following users liked this post:
UrusUser (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Our SQ5 didn't use a quart at 10k & still doesn’t use oil…at 40k+ it is never a quart low between service intervals of 10k. My 2020 Mercedes was the same not even close to a quart low at 10k. My GMC Denali 6.2 V8 didn’t burn oil…never has been a quart low. I wonder if Dealers don’t say it’s normal because they know Audi won’t replace the engine for oil consumption.
IMO, excess oil use is not normal with the tight manufacturing tolerances today.
Absolutely right. If it’s using oil something is wrong. Don’t believe the dealer.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm
Old 06-12-2021, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

I think we have to distinguish between what is excessive, normal and no oil consumption. Most of my Audi (and I had 6 of them) consumed oil for the first few thousand kilometers (1-2 liters per 10k km). After these several thousand km, and after changing the oil, consumption fell almost to zero between service intervals. A few other Audi with V6 and V8 engines known to me had similar oil consumption which stopped after extended break-in period.
Yes, today's engines are built with a very tight tolerances, but still need this break-in period, what is clearly stated by the manufacturers in the Owner's Manuals. And during this time, oil consumption may exceed what is generally considered normal. This is true for most car brands. It is enough to read also the forums of BMW, MB or Porsche to see that this is a phenomenon that often occurs in new high performance engines.
Yes, Audi has had a known problem with too high oil consumption, especially in 2.0TFSI engines. This was due to a construction mistake - the engine pistons had oil rings that were too narrow. But this has long since been corrected and is a history.
I do not defend Audi or Audi dealerships, but do not be too much concerned about the increased oil consumption in the first couple thousands of miles and let us alert Audi dealerships when the engine still burns oil excessively after that time.
PS. Also let's remember that our driving style has an influence not only on fuel but also on engine oil consumption
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

I think we have to distinguish between what is excessive, normal and no oil consumption. Most of my Audi (and I had 6 of them) consumed oil for the first few thousand kilometers (1-2 liters per 10k km). After these several thousand km, and after changing the oil, consumption fell almost to zero between service intervals. A few other Audi with V6 and V8 engines known to me had similar oil consumption which stopped after extended break-in period.
Yes, today's engines are built with a very tight tolerances, but still need this break-in period, what is clearly stated by the manufacturers in the Owner's Manuals. And during this time, oil consumption may exceed what is generally considered normal. This is true for most car brands. It is enough to read also the forums of BMW, MB or Porsche to see that this is a phenomenon that often occurs in new high performance engines.
Yes, Audi has had a known problem with too high oil consumption, especially in 2.0TFSI engines. This was due to a construction mistake - the engine pistons had oil rings that were too narrow. But this has long since been corrected and is a history.
I do not defend Audi or Audi dealerships, but do not be too much concerned about the increased oil consumption in the first couple thousands of miles and let us alert Audi dealerships when the engine still burns oil excessively after that time.
PS. Also let's remember that our driving style has an influence not only on fuel but also on engine oil consumption
All great points. I also tend to see a moderate increase (though no impact in real life) in oil consumption after 8000km or so into an oil change. Probably a consequence of a drop in flashpoint due to very minor fuel dilution. It only drops very little to a point where the oil level won't read 'full' if it did at the last oil change.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at my thread on SQ7 oil consumption as well... I'll follow yours.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah there are issues and they seem to effect a lot of the 4.0 TT. Good luck with your dealers and forget it if you modded.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEC84
Yeah there are issues and they seem to effect a lot of the 4.0 TT. Good luck with your dealers and forget it if you modded.
Did you get any help on yours? I have a Porsche ordered and am having second thoughts. I don’t see any similar oil issue on the Mercedes Forum.

Quick Reply: 2021 SQ8 Low Oil?