Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Adaptive Chassis Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Chassis Package

As others have already experienced, was looking at the SQ5, but have swung over to the Q8...maybe. Trying to see if the additional room/luxury/coolness justifies the additional $$$.

The Q8 I test drove had the air suspension/ride height adjustment, which felt very comfy and looked good in Dynamic. With that said, I'm trying to see if I can save $3K and perhaps maintenance issues down the road by avoiding the air suspension.

Has anyone driven both and can tell me their thoughts? I haven't been able to test a standard one. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We were going to go with the AS on the 2019 SQ5, but after driving a "standard" suspension Q8, we find the Q8's steel suspension to be very compliant and when set to dynamic also well damped. It's still $13K more than an SQ5 Prestige with almost all the options. Our Q8 was $79,340 for a P+ model. Seems like enough to spend to get a very nice vehicle -- and we did!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was all set to order a 2019 SQ5 myself until I drove a Q8. It is just miles ahead and in terms of tech and interior quality. The extra space is a nice bonus for me.

I haven't driven a non-AS car but I believe you also get the 4 wheel steering option with that package which is very helpful if you drive in cities a lot and it probably helps some with handling as well. Also if you ever need additional ground clearance (light off roading) or a lower loading floor then the AS is probably the way to go.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely test drive the regular suspension, but pay attention to the wheel size. You would not want to test drive on small wheels with a lot of tire sidewall but then buy the 22 inch wheels and expect the same ride quality.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the opinions, very helpful! I guess I'm going to try to test drive a standard suspension Q8, ideally back to back with an AS one. I'll report back when I do.

As for the SQ5 vs, Q8, I actually test drove them back to back. My quick thoughts:

-SQ5 was quicker, better handling, easier to whip around obviously. The ride was definitely rougher even with 20" wheels vs. 22" on the Q8...and noisier. The Q8 was more comfy while still having performance in the neighborhood of the SQ5. I felt like a big boy driving the Q8, if that makes sense lol

-SQ5 seats and interior were very nice and easy to use coming from another Audi, but lacked the tech/coolness/luxury of the Q8 interior. Though I had a difficult time finding the perfect driving position in the Q8

-IMO the exterior looks of the Q8 with Year 1 package in the right color vs. the SQ5 is like comparing a space shuttle to a puddle jumper plane. Not knocking the SQ5 at all here, but the Q8 just looks special. I would say with confidence that it's the best looking SUV under $100K

-So it comes down to value, as with most things I guess. Exterior Q8; Interior/Tech Q8; Drive Tie...since the slight performance upgrade of the SQ5 is balanced out by the comfort of the Q8. So is the Q8 worth the $13K - $16K more, as I would option the two cars? That's the $14.5K question!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I had read about maintenance issues with adaptive chassis and 4-wheel steering. I think they are useful options but I got my Q8 without them to avoid the additional complexity.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Our salesrep is OK with the AS if you're going to lease, but somewhat less if you're going to buy and keep out of warranty. He's said he remembers seeing cars he's sold "limping" in with one of the "airbags" that had failed. On the other hand, the service dept's guru says the durability of the AS's has improved dramatically. So, as someone says, "you pays your monies and you takes your choice," who to rely on. The car magazines seem to be very complimentary of the steel suspensions, too.

Now, having said that, we drove an SQ5 with and without the AS and ordered our third SQ5 with the AS. Then we drove a Q8 P+ without the AS and set the suspension parm to dynamic and loved it. Full stop. Of course, we coudln't have tested a Q8 with the AS even if we had wanted to, since literally every Q8 (6 of them) sold within a day or so of arrival. We bought number 5 after a one+ hour test drive and told them to sell our 2019 SQ5 to someone else when it comes in on 12/5.

Dealer was happy to oblige. We're at 1,000 on the Q8 -- love it, love it, love it!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

4 wheel steering has been on production vehicles for 15 or 20 years, maybe more. I think it is pretty reliable and same for the air suspensions. I am not worried about the long term reliability, of these systems. That being said, of course at some point there will be additional maintenance required but i think that would be on the far side of 100,000 miles and i won't likely have it past 10 or 15 thousand.But i don't think folks should be too worried about that unless you truly plan to keep it until it starts to fall a part.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Based solely on aesthetics I chose the AS. The steel suspension is high, almost truck-like. The dynamic setting on AS is more sporty looking I never take it off low mode unless I’m on a long highway trip. Here are some comparison shots...

Last edited by jrjunior31; 11-29-2018 at 12:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oto (08-08-2020)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Based solely on aesthetics I chose the AS. The steel suspension is high, almost truck-like. The dynamic setting on AS is more sporty looking I never take it off low mode unless I’m on a long highway trip. Here are some comparison shots...

Congrats! Looks great!! Exact exterior I would get and yes AS is the only way to go with the Q8 IMO to get that sporty non truck like look on a Q8. I keep my Q7 in it lowest as well.

One thing I discovered after driving around in Dynamic all the time was to switch to the “individual” setting instead and set the suspension to Dynamic (thus still keeping the low stance) and set the steering to comfort. This way around town the steering is light and comfortable and yet the look stays the same as being in full dynamic mode. Can always switch to full Dynamic with the push of a button if I want to stiffen up the steering on whim for a more agresssive feel. I assume you should be able to do this with your Q8 as well.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Chassis Package