Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Anyone change their own oil in RS Q8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone change their own oil in RS Q8?

Seems impossible to book a service, if anyone even answers the phone these days, that is.

I am at 10,500 miles on original oil on my 2021 RSQ8.

Tempted to just change it myself. Has anyone done it and, if so, easy peasy or advise against it?
Old 04-19-2022, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

This is more or less the same as in 3.0T engine. Remove the air filter housing to gett access to oil filter and drain the oil from the bottom with the plug of the oil pan.
You don't need such a sophisticated equipment like here.
The tightening torque of the oil filter housing is 30Nm. In addition to the oil and the oil filter with O-ring, you will need a new pan oil plug with a copper gasket.
The following users liked this post:
SQ8westcoast (04-19-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:31 AM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default DEAR GOD!!

Originally Posted by retom
This is more or less the same as in 3.0T engine. Remove the air filter housing to gett access to oil filter and drain the oil from the bottom with the plug of the oil pan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18E08BNa90
You don't need such a sophisticated equipment like here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqFeo3rALI
The tightening torque of the oil filter housing is 30Nm. In addition to the oil and the oil filter with O-ring, you will need a new pan oil plug with a copper gasket.
I used to complain about the exorbitant fee to change oil, but after watching this, it’s pretty much worth every penny to me!!! I just hope AUDI techs employ the same workmanship as this young man
Old 04-20-2022, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by joemb239
I used to complain about the exorbitant fee to change oil, but after watching this, it’s pretty much worth every penny to me!!! I just hope AUDI techs employ the same workmanship as this young man
Agreed, I'll leave it to the dealership, makes the Audi Care option look like a bargain!
joemb239 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like he performs engine flush before changing oil. I have never done that. I don't know what is he using but is it good (advisable) to put some chemicals which could potentially damage seals in a new engine?
Old 04-20-2022, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Janez
Looks like he performs engine flush before changing oil. I have never done that. I don't know what is he using but is it good (advisable) to put some chemicals which could potentially damage seals in a new engine?
Flushing the engine will not damage the engine or any seals. But doing it in a new car doesn't make sense though. This is sometimes done in older high mileage engines to remove carbon deposits from the engine components and oil system. I don't know why this guy does it in a relatively new car - it won't hurt the engine, but it won't help either.
Janez (04-20-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my first oil change at 10k. Did a second myself at 15k with a pump. Super easy. I think I removed just over 9 liters. Now at 20k and going to dealer for technically my 3rd oil change.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bav-auto.../b8800001~bav/
Old 01-23-2023, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there an oil extraction plug near the oil filter, like the RS6 Avant has, or did you extract thru the oil filter reservoir? This will be my first attempt on the RS Q8, doing a 5k change in between scheduled 10k service. My Avant takes 20 minutes start to finish, this looks more involved so trying to educate myself prior to going in.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ven2323
Is there an oil extraction plug near the oil filter, like the RS6 Avant has, or did you extract thru the oil filter reservoir? This will be my first attempt on the RS Q8, doing a 5k change in between scheduled 10k service. My Avant takes 20 minutes start to finish, this looks more involved so trying to educate myself prior to going in.
You can also suck the oil out through this plugged dipstick tube. You just need to remove the cap. To get an access you have to remove the air ducts, but it is also needed to replace the oil filter.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

You certainly can't hurt anything by having your oil EXTRA clean - however, I think there's a point where it's a diminishing return, but what that point is would be subjective. I can say I wouldn't do it once a week. My understanding w the upper end synthetics (like they use in these cars) is they can EASILY go 18,000 miles - even then you can just do a new filter and a top off and go another 10,000 miles. I think audi does new oil at 5k miles, then new oil every year, which is about 10k or 12k miles typically. Unless you were doing something unusual, the factory intervals should be more than adequate.

Quick Reply: Anyone change their own oil in RS Q8?