Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Dealer trying to kill my paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer trying to kill my paint?

With my new Q8 looking at new gear for washing my car. One thing I have to get opinions on. When I bought my car the dealer was talking about their free car wash. Which I have to assume my new car went thru as part of the detailing. It's brush based. Isn't that like the kiss of death for paint?

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-01-2019, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

I hang a sign “please do not take my car to the car wash” every time I bring my car in for service.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. Avoid the free wash. What color is your car. Darker colors show these swirls and wash maring much more than silvers and whites.

Nest bet bet if you care about your cars appearance is to have is professionally polished and have paint protection film applied to the front end. The. Ceramic coat the whole car. You can skip the film as it’s an extreme step but the only thing that protect the paint from most rock chips.

Good luck !

Originally Posted by syarbrou
With my new Q8 looking at new gear for washing my car. One thing I have to get opinions on. When I bought my car the dealer was talking about their free car wash. Which I have to assume my new car went thru as part of the detailing. It's brush based. Isn't that like the kiss of death for paint?

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-01-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I hang a sign “please do not take my car to the car wash” every time I bring my car in for service.
And on these recent Audi models, I have another sign that says

"Please do NOT detail interior or exterior"

Why?

Don't want them to scratch up the interior black panel architecture.
The following users liked this post:
OldSchool24 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sad. I'm starting to think from the sales people to the service center, that they do not treat the customer like they are buying an $85k car. Or treat the car like it's an $85k vehicle. These things should be handled with kid gloves by the dealers and be in the same if not better shape when they are done then when it was brought in. Right now I'm trying to get a foam cannon for my power washer if it's really worth it, and some other cleaning supplies to wash this thing myself. I am thinking of the paint protection in front and was considering the ceramic coating but not sure on that yet.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sad. I'm starting to think from the sales people to the service center, that they do not treat the customer like they are buying an $85k car. Or treat the car like it's an $85k vehicle. These things should be handled with kid gloves by the dealers and be in the same if not better shape when they are done then when it was brought in. Right now I'm trying to get a foam cannon for my power washer if it's really worth it, and some other cleaning supplies to wash this thing myself. I am thinking of the paint protection in front and was considering the ceramic coating but not sure on that yet.

Thanks.

Steve
When I bought my D5, that's when I kitted myself up with a foam cannon. Use the 1.1mm oriface if you're using an electric pressure washer. Try and get above 2GPM, although my 1.7GPM is sufficient when using the $5 oriface I bought on Aliexpress. The smaller oriface causes the foam gun to create more foam otherwise when using a foam cannon with an electric pressure washer - you get crappy runny foam.

Kit up, and prepare to do the needful in order to keep these cars in pristine shape.

The dealer could give two *****.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I have a similar sign AND my service rep types on the work order: PLEASE DO NOT WASH CAR....DO NOT TEST DRIVE, with mileage stated nearby and, highlighting in yellow. I am very polite when I ask, and poke fun of my **** request, suggesting that they simply humor my idiosyncrasies.

There is no reason for anyone to take my car out for a test drive after any of the scheduled maintenance services. If there would be some issue (e.g. transmission shifting irregularly), then that would be within scope of repair. Bottom line: accidents happen, especially if you get some tech with the Ferris Bueller garage attendant mentality, so why increase the risk of damage to your car, let alone the paint. Some techs feel compelled to mess with the seat, rear view mirror, radio settings and, who knows if they just scratched their rear end or nose[img]images/smilies/eek.gif

Last edited by AMDG75; 08-01-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
When I bought my D5, that's when I kitted myself up with a foam cannon. Use the 1.1mm oriface if you're using an electric pressure washer. Try and get above 2GPM, although my 1.7GPM is sufficient when using the $5 oriface I bought on Aliexpress. The smaller oriface causes the foam gun to create more foam otherwise when using a foam cannon with an electric pressure washer - you get crappy runny foam.
Funny you mention this. I have been watching YouTube video after YouTube video on just this. The part I need to figure out is:

1. Which Foam Cannon.
2. Need to get the 1.1 orifice
3. Need either a cannon or an adapter that will work with the Karcher 330 electric power washer which I have.

Funny I'd hate to think what the gas power washers would do to a car. Guessing nothing, but the things my electric one can remove from the ground, my brick, my siding, paint that's been on a plastic vent for years, etc can't imagine what a gas one will do.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Funny you mention this. I have been watching YouTube video after YouTube video on just this. The part I need to figure out is:

1. Which Foam Cannon.
2. Need to get the 1.1 orifice
3. Need either a cannon or an adapter that will work with the Karcher 330 electric power washer which I have.

Funny I'd hate to think what the gas power washers would do to a car. Guessing nothing, but the things my electric one can remove from the ground, my brick, my siding, paint that's been on a plastic vent for years, etc can't imagine what a gas one will do.

Thanks.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I don't know if it will work well with your pressure washer, but ultimately the gas ones would work a lot better. That said I have no desire to be breathing in the fumes so I'll make do with electric!

Here's the foam cannon I use:
Amazon Amazon

And the oriface: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3269...33cf4c4dUDIN4n

Please read the spec sheet for the oriface. A different diameter is recommended based on PSI output of your pressure washer.

Make sure you sign up for the $2 coupon or whatever it is at the time of purchase!*

G/L!

*I believe the snow foam ships with the 1.25mm oriface. In my case with a 1900psi pressure washer I switched to the 1.1mm and got an improvement. THAT SAID, despite the fact that it is not within spec for use with the 1.1mm oriface, it does not pulsate (bad for the PW motor). YMMV. Just give it a try, and worst case you're out $5...

Last edited by angrypengu; 08-02-2019 at 05:40 AM.