Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hcuorg
Just curious, does everyone take their car into the dealer for work? I don't recall the last time I took my car into the dealer unless it was for warranty work. But that was before I got into tuning my cars.
For warranty and recall work, definitely. (This keeps us on-topic in the thread!)
For accident repairs, yes - I want genuine parts.
For consumables (brake pads, rotors, etc.) - no no no. A very reputable and cheaper alternative exists in my area.
Tires - Sam's Club. Good prices, warranty, free rotation.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Just curious, does everyone take their car into the dealer for work? I don't recall the last time I took my car into the dealer unless it was for warranty work. But that was before I got into tuning my cars.
Always, for all of my cars ever since I've owned cars.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan
For warranty and recall work, definitely. (This keeps us on-topic in the thread!)
My apologies. I just wanted to bring it up as someone mentioned about warranty work on a part a customer supplied.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Always, for all of my cars ever since I've owned cars.
Same here!
angrypengu (09-12-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:16 PM
Sk8
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but it seems quite informative.

https://transistor-man.com/audi_48v.html

​​​​​​it may answer some questions regarding the BSG issue.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sk8:
angrypengu (09-20-2023), MorganMay (09-20-2023), ThomasWShea (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but it seems quite informative.

https://transistor-man.com/audi_48v.html

​​​​​​it may answer some questions regarding the BSG issue.
I had not seen that write up, which goes into awesome detail. He quoted us (myself and @retom) back in Jan. 2023 - though we did learn more after that. He clearly has a higher electrical knowledge than we do. I might reach out to him to tell share more info / ideas with him.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I just scanned this article; way over my head, but it does make me continue to wonder if using the auto stop/start (or not) is a significant contributing factor to alternator failures. If I understood, he talks about an undersized battery and the effects of the 48 volt "assistance" going up an extended hill/climb as possible aggravating factors to failure. If I got that right (and perhaps I didn't), then cars that are used with the auto S/S turned off all/most of the time, would not be operating the car in a way that strains the system.

Anyone else have a take on this?

Steve
Old 09-20-2023, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

all I know is I've been turning off the start/stop for the last year and a half ever since this came up on the forum. We only take short trips, 30 min at the max, fearing maybe longer trips might build up heat in the alternator. Kinda sucks that we only use the car for errands and not travel, but it is what it is.
ajmilan (09-25-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

This write up is killing me. Right when it gets good, the article ends. DAMMIT.

Based on my own data collection and while I only understood 80% of what he wrote, it is in line with what I see. While the battery is 'extremely' undersized, it's within spec for what Audi designed it to be. Draining the battery while the BSG is doing its thing does show a very quick ability to discharge energy when going up a hill or whatever.

Turning SS off will help but keep in mind the BSG is active at most stages of the rev curve and very active when driving aggressively. The battery does get thermally limited quickly. That thing gets hot quick.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Curious, were you able to source it from your local dealer? I see the item listed at my local dealership but I'm almost certain they are going to tell me it's backordered, or they will have to order the part for me.

Is there also no other company that makes these for the Q8's? I wanted to sell my old car but now I decided to keep it in case **** hits the fan. More bells and whistles, more problems I suppose.
i do not believe his theory on what the bsg is doing is correct tho. that is what i want to talk to him about. my theory is that the bsg is strictly used to spin the engine up to a certain rpm when the engine is at zero load and off, i do not think the bsg is contributing output that would move the vehicle even one inch.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction