Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
i do not believe his theory on what the bsg is doing is correct tho. that is what i want to talk to him about. my theory is that the bsg is strictly used to spin the engine up to a certain rpm when the engine is at zero load and off, i do not think the bsg is contributing output that would move the vehicle even one inch.
It does. You can see it in OBD11 live throughout the entirety of the torque spool-up. It's even in the various SSPs. It basically fills in to solve for turbo runup and applies up to 60nm of torque for up to 5 seconds.

What I want to know is why the BSG self-obliterates more often in the winter. Condensation?
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

I emailed transistor man - hopefully he'll see my email and join us here, I sent him my thoughts to date. Outlining what I think the BSG is doing. Let him know the manufacturer is now Vitesco and let him know I have email from Vitesco that I haven't replied to yet.
angrypengu (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

This is a very interesting article and it is clear that this man has not only the knowledge but also the determination to understand the processes taking place in the 48V Audi system.
But what is the conclusion? Do we know anything more about why BSGs fail en masse?
Maybe it's my English, but I couldn't find any conclusions or suspicions as to what causes this failure.
Maybe one day some frustrated Audi technician will tell us the truth
Old 09-20-2023, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I emailed transistor man - hopefully he'll see my email and join us here, I sent him my thoughts to date. Outlining what I think the BSG is doing. Let him know the manufacturer is now Vitesco and let him know I have email from Vitesco that I haven't replied to yet.
Oh, I must have missed this. Continental was fired?
Old 09-20-2023, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by retom
This is a very interesting article and it is clear that this man has not only the knowledge but also the determination to understand the processes taking place in the 48V Audi system.
But what is the conclusion? Do we know anything more about why BSGs fail en masse?
Maybe it's my English, but I couldn't find any conclusions or suspicions as to what causes this failure.
Maybe one day some frustrated Audi technician will tell us the truth
I think he is just now getting to a point where he might be able to troubleshoot. he replied to my email and is interested in talking. I told i'm I'm good with zoom, Skype, webex or FaceTime. I also told him there were 3 or 4 others that might be interested in joining the conversation.
angrypengu (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Oh, I must have missed this. Continental was fired?
not exactly, continental powertrain turned into vitesco in 2019 and became independent in 2021:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitesco_Technologies
angrypengu (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think he is just now getting to a point where he might be able to troubleshoot. he replied to my email and is interested in talking. I told i'm I'm good with zoom, Skype, webex or FaceTime. I also told him there were 3 or 4 others that might be interested in joining the conversation.
If you're open to joiners, I'd be happy to volunteer. This is a super cool topic.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
If you're open to joiners, I'd be happy to volunteer. This is a super cool topic.
I'll keep you, @retom, and @Mrclopec looped in on any potential call and get you the details.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
angrypengu (09-20-2023), Mrclopec (09-20-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
I just scanned this article; way over my head, but it does make me continue to wonder if using the auto stop/start (or not) is a significant contributing factor to alternator failures. If I understood, he talks about an undersized battery and the effects of the 48 volt "assistance" going up an extended hill/climb as possible aggravating factors to failure. If I got that right (and perhaps I didn't), then cars that are used with the auto S/S turned off all/most of the time, would not be operating the car in a way that strains the system.

Anyone else have a take on this?

Steve
There is no way this matters, I'll tell you why I believe that in just a second.

2021 Audi A7 55 TFSI
21,442 miles
I received an "Electrical system malfunction! Please contact service." error pulling into my garage on Friday night and I had the vehicle towed to Audi on Saturday. Audi (dealership, service advisor over the phone) informed me that a "new generator was needed for the 48V charging system" and I'm likely looking at a 1-2 month turnaround time. Audi Q5 loaner was provided, thank god.

Now, why do I believe the start/stop system doesn't matter? I've turned it off religiously since mile 23 (when I first picked it up the car).
Old 09-25-2023, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if the stop/start is turned off, does the BSG go into a dumb mode and just crank out 48v? Or, is it still executing some routine, and just forgoing the stop / start of the engine…i.e. is it still trying to “boost” the engine under certain conditions?

i think the answer to that is yes…

Other thoughts anyone?

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 09-26-2023 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction