Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stRS
IF you had an alternator failure, you wouldn't be able to get back on the road. I couldn't even roll up my windows after it happened to me.

Sounds like a bad thermostat or something = for for go to dealer....
Car is dead today. Dead dead. Air conditioning stopped, then I got all warning, parking break malfunction, stabilization malfunction, then engine shut down.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mendy
Car is dead today. Dead dead. Air conditioning stopped, then I got all warning, parking break malfunction, stabilization malfunction, then engine shut down.
This is terrible. This should not be happening to a brand new 2023 car. I would be losing my **** about now.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

I got this car less than a week ago. On the first long ride with the family I got this error and the car overheated. At first, we pulled over as the warning recommended. Eventually, we were able to get back home.

I'm not a techie, can someone help me understand / clarify: can this issue be solved completely by going to the dealer? Or is this a lemon and I need to take a other action? Thanks.
If is is BSG fault in 2023 car it will mean very, very bad information. It will mean that the problem is still not solved by Audi.
Please keep us in the loop.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my car serviced this week at the dealer.. Speaking with the service people, Audi does not know/or hasn't shared with them, the cause for the failures. I don't take mine on long trips, I don't want to risk getting stranded. I've owned my 2019 Q8 Prestige from new. It has 21,000 miles. Last service I had the dealer update the software for the BSG at my own expense. I appreciate all the updates from Thomas, Retom and Angrypengu.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
If is is BSG fault in 2023 car it will mean very, very bad information. It will mean that the problem is still not solved by Audi.
Please keep us in the loop.
@retom if this car is a 2023, i am curious if it has the super capacitor.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@retom if this car is a 2023, i am curious if it has the super capacitor.
We have to ask Mendy to take a picture of his trunk without the flor cover,
Old 10-05-2023, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

speculation: is it possible for the car to be delivered w a low 48 volt battery? if that were the case I would think you would just see warnings for that and not the other symptoms. it does seem odd if it is new off the lot that the BSG died that quick.

the plus is: maybe mendy can remember all the driving and conditions, and let us know if there was anything unusual.

Old 10-06-2023, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
speculation: is it possible for the car to be delivered w a low 48 volt battery? if that were the case I would think you would just see warnings for that and not the other symptoms. it does seem odd if it is new off the lot that the BSG died that quick.

the plus is: maybe mendy can remember all the driving and conditions, and let us know if there was anything unusual.
Responses and updates.
I can't take a Pic of the trunk as I don't have the car.
The car was being driven locally when these issues occurred. Yesterday, took it for a 1 mile drive to a local business and back. By the time I got home I got all the warnings.

​​​Car was towed. When the towing truck came they were able to start the car and get it on the bed of the truck.

Audi provided a loaner.

First update from Audi Service: Afternoon Mendy. we will be replacing the 12v battery for the charging system and rechecking the car over . we will still need your vehicle til monday to check and monitor vehicle . will keep you updated.

Some pictures from yesterday.

Old 10-06-2023, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

First update from Audi Service: Afternoon Mendy. we will be replacing the 12v battery for the charging system and rechecking the car over . we will still need your vehicle til monday to check and monitor vehicle . will keep you updated.
So that's what they do first, I'm assuming? Replace the battery and then the alternator if problems persists?

I purchased my car used and on the Carfax, it said the battery was placed at 7300 miles which I thought was weird. It all makes sense now.
The following users liked this post:
Wagoner (10-15-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got the Electrical system: malfunction warning light on my Q7 2020. I was at the store so I tried to drive home. The AC stopped working on the way. By the time I got home, I couldn't open the car door by touching the handles. I had to use the key fob. Got my car towed to the dealership the next day. After 1 week they haven't even looked at my car yet. I was told they have a huge backlog. Based on my number on the queue, it may take another week for them to look at it. I can't even get a loaner. I was put on a standby list. I had to rent a car because I need one. Does anyone know what my best course of action here?

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction