Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd add my experience to the thread...

2019 Q8 Prestige, with 38,000 miles. Had the car for only a few weeks when it threw the electrical system warnings. Had it towed to the dealer on 11/13, they diagnosed the issue the next day and we began the wait for the generator to come in. Part was finally delivered yesterday, 12/7 - almost 4 weeks after we had it towed up there, and they got the car back to me today, 12/8. Service advisor confirmed that 4N1-903-028 is the latest version of the generator and is *supposed* to solve the issue. He said that they've been using this new part for a while now and he doesn't know of any repeat failures on it, so fingers crossed.

Other interesting information: SA said they get about one car per day with this issue, and when I dropped mine off there were 4-5 cars in front of me in the queue for the part. The new generator is shipping from Germany in large batches, but they're coming over on container ships so it takes a while. My dealer got about 10 more generators in their latest shipment. The warranty on this system was extended to 7 years or 80,000 miles, per the SA. He also said that the reason they did an extended warranty instead of a recall is because apparently Audi can't easily identify which cars are susceptible to the problem, which seems strange to me but what do I know.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this! We love our Q8 otherwise.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimusAudens
Just thought I'd add my experience to the thread...

2019 Q8 Prestige, with 38,000 miles. Had the car for only a few weeks when it threw the electrical system warnings. Had it towed to the dealer on 11/13, they diagnosed the issue the next day and we began the wait for the generator to come in. Part was finally delivered yesterday, 12/7 - almost 4 weeks after we had it towed up there, and they got the car back to me today, 12/8. Service advisor confirmed that 4N1-903-028 is the latest version of the generator and is *supposed* to solve the issue. He said that they've been using this new part for a while now and he doesn't know of any repeat failures on it, so fingers crossed.

Other interesting information: SA said they get about one car per day with this issue, and when I dropped mine off there were 4-5 cars in front of me in the queue for the part. The new generator is shipping from Germany in large batches, but they're coming over on container ships so it takes a while. My dealer got about 10 more generators in their latest shipment. The warranty on this system was extended to 7 years or 80,000 miles, per the SA. He also said that the reason they did an extended warranty instead of a recall is because apparently Audi can't easily identify which cars are susceptible to the problem, which seems strange to me but what do I know.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this! We love our Q8 otherwise.
Welcome to AW!

This was an interesting statement you mentioned from your dealer and it well, brings all of us hope!! "Service advisor confirmed that 4N1-903-028 is the latest version of the generator and is *supposed* to solve the issue.". May I please ask the community here to keep an eye on this especially if you have this replacement? Let's flag if folks have this new part and it dies. Thanks all!
Old 12-10-2023, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I'm sorta surprised I missed this, but in any event, I found a little trick.
This is the latest TSB on this issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38212-0001.pdf
Note, in the TSB this TSB #: 2058831/9
Specifically the /9. I can't find a /10, or a /11, but I did get up to /9 after realizing the one I was reading was a /7 or something. So Googling my way around I found /9. No reference to the new P/N nor a reference to a BSG that 'fixes' things, so who knows if the new part actually resolves this issue.
This is super useful, thanks! I talked to service advisors at 2 different dealerships and neither had heard of a software update that could potentially mitigate the problem. I'll be walking in with a copy of the TSB tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (12-11-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael99
Driving this morning and got the dreaded Electrical System Malfunction message. Unfortunately I’m an hour from my dealer. They told me not to drive it. Gonna have it towed in.
Had mine towed to the dealer on 12/6. They replaced the alternator and I picked it up on 12/12. The SA told me that the alternators are only failing on the cars built in Germany.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Had mine towed to the dealer on 12/6. They replaced the alternator and I picked it up on 12/12. The SA told me that the alternators are only failing on the cars built in Germany.
All of the 48V Audi cars (as such all of these have BSGs minus exceptions like RSQ8s or whatever) are built in Germany. What a face palm of a SA!!

Originally Posted by OldChipper
This is super useful, thanks! I talked to service advisors at 2 different dealerships and neither had heard of a software update that could potentially mitigate the problem. I'll be walking in with a copy of the TSB tomorrow.
To be clear, there is no data point that says it does fix the problem (in fact many indicate otherwise), but yes it "may" help provide a longer duration between the warning going off and the car completely dead power wise.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

You probably mean German cars, because although the Q8 is German, it is manufactured in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A bit off topic but does anyone happen to know how much the dealer would charge to replace the alternator out of pocket?
Old 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Part is like $1200 or so retail. About 2 hours of labor. Add in coolant, and the odd screw or four.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Has anyone started a Google Sheets to track mileage of failures, regular auto SS usage (Y/N), month of failure (to see correlation with weather?) If not I can start one and cross post.
The following 3 users liked this post by angrypengu:
danibear (12-19-2023), MorganMay (12-14-2023), Mrclopec (12-13-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 918 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Has anyone started a Google Sheets to track mileage of failures, regular auto SS usage (Y/N), month of failure (to see correlation with weather?) If not I can start one and cross post.
Great idea!

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction