Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q8 Electrical malfunction

Just got my baby back Q8 2019 Y1 S-line package that was in the shop 2.5 months (51k miles). The engine malfunction shut down everything ( windows, A/C, etc.) and I still am not sure what the issue was. The dealership said the part came from Germany to fix it. Dealer was good about the whole thing but it is concerning. Appreciate all the feedback here. It helps)
The following 2 users liked this post by 4wvhicks:
broke down palace (12-08-2022), Sapphire3636@yahoo.com (12-13-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wvhicks
Just got my baby back Q8 2019 Y1 S-line package that was in the shop 2.5 months (51k miles). The engine malfunction shut down everything ( windows, A/C, etc.) and I still am not sure what the issue was. The dealership said the part came from Germany to fix it. Dealer was good about the whole thing but it is concerning. Appreciate all the feedback here. It helps)
What was articulated on the paper work from the dealer? That information would help others.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had my 19 Q8 with 52k experience the same issue on Monday.

Had to wait 24 hours to get it towed to the dealer, while getting my CC stolen with shady Out-of-network towing company because they can't find anyone in network for 24 hours. Not to mention spent almost 6 hours on the phones to sort the towing issue out.

Just called the dealer, was told there are 10 cars in line that has the same issue. No loaner of course.

When asked if they have an estimation, was told they had someone since September and was JUST completed this week. Of course the 48v Generator is on backorder until God knows when.

Now the question is, what can we do if our car is in the shop waiting on parts for more than 1 month, with no loaners available, do we have rights as affected consumers?
The following users liked this post:
homer_simpson (02-03-2023)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i wonder if your auto ins. or extended warranty would cover a rental car if a dealer loaner isn't available? it seems like somewhere there would be rental coverage for this, but you might need to specifically ask an ins. agent if there is coverage for this kind of thing, and add it to a policy.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Please file a safety report with the NHSTA or whatever. This sort of thing is going to get someone killed.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wonder what the threshold would be for ⬆️that⬆️? I'm curious. I never thought about it, but now that I do, if a vehicle has a critical failure, I assume there are criteria that are acceptable that the US Dept. of Transportation, or some other governing body sets about how things can acceptably fail on a motor vehicle. I am guessing you'd need to be in lawyer in the right area of law to know if this case would be a valid claim that would be successful, or if it would be argued away and die on the vine. Audi has deep pockets and industry knowledge by country.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 11-17-2022 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
Old 11-17-2022, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I wonder what the threshold would be for ⬆️that⬆️? I'm curious. I never thought about it, but now that I do, if a vehicle has a critical failure, I assume there are criteria that are acceptable that the US Dept. of Transportation, or some other governing body sets about how things can acceptably fail on a motor vehicle. I am guessing you'd need to be in lawyer in the right area of law to know if this case would be a valid claim that would be successful, or if it would be argued away and die on the vine. Audi has deep pockets and industry knowledge by country.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
CJayz (04-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Audi diagnosis of "Electrical Malfunction"

All, I was asked to post the receipt of the diagnosis. Here is how they call it out. Service department was great, but scary to hear this is happening across the model. Hope this information helps.
Attached Files
frits (01-04-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4wvhicks
All, I was asked to post the receipt of the diagnosis. Here is how they call it out. Service department was great, but scary to hear this is happening across the model. Hope this information helps.
How long did you have to wait for the parts/repairs? I've been waiting almost 7 weeks here in Canada as the alternator is on Back Order
Old 11-21-2022, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sounds like you're located in Canada as am I - Ontario to be more precise. My Q8 has been with the dealer since October 3 with no estimation of when the part will be in or when it will be fixed. My vehicle is a lease and Audi is still taking the lease payments for a vehicle I don't have. I'm trying to get some compensation from Audi Customer Care but so far no luck. Frustrating to say the least.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction