Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For people that have experienced this issue, how long/far were you able to drive between the time of the warning and the car failing? And if a car completely shuts down, are we talking about brakes no longer working? Would you not be able to stop on a steep road?
Old 12-30-2023, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Paudi2154
For people that have experienced this issue, how long/far were you able to drive between the time of the warning and the car failing? And if a car completely shuts down, are we talking about brakes no longer working? Would you not be able to stop on a steep road?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...items-3065030/
The following users liked this post:
Paudi2154 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is there any way to see the information on the 7 year warranty extension on this part? Like a formal announcement in writing? Or is it just something an SA says to people? My dealer claims to know nothing about the warranty extension, or the BSG issue entirely, even suggesting they haven’t seen any cars with this issue.
Old 12-31-2023, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the updated part number? How long has this part been available? I wonder if it's been long enough to know if it's really a permanent fix. Since there is a Technical Service Bulletin, wouldn't there be some kind of official clarification that this is no longer an issue on repaired or newer models? Or wouldn't it be a recall now if they have a real fix?
I posted a picture a few pages back of my service report. Someone stated that it was the newest part number.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there any way to see the information on the 7 year warranty extension on this part? Like a formal announcement in writing? Or is it just something an SA says to people? My dealer claims to know nothing about the warranty extension, or the BSG issue entirely, even suggesting they haven’t seen any cars with this issue.

My letter is dated Feb'23, so to have a service advisor/dealership completely unaware of the issue is highly questionable and alarming.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gbop98:
ajmilan (12-31-2023), Paudi2154 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbop98
My letter is dated Feb'23, so to have a service advisor/dealership completely unaware of the issue is highly questionable and alarming.
I'm sure they want people oblivious to the fact it's covered under warranty. When I took my car into the dealer for service recently, I asked them about the BSG issue and they acted like they didn't know. Until they laughed when I said all the alternators are blowing up. So they're just playing dumb imo.
The following 2 users liked this post by hcuorg:
ajmilan (12-31-2023), Gbop98 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gbop98
I agree. I bought the car a few days ago. I am asking for the letter for my records, and the first response was "sure, we'll connect you with finance so you can buy the extended warranty". Before that they said "In all honesty, it's the first we're hearing about this issue and we have sold (34) 2023 Q8 variants this year and double that in 2022 Q8 variants." I am wondering if letters were sent out early 2023 to existing owners and they are not notifying new buyers? I mean, how could they do that without losing sales? Or alarming people soon after their new purchase? Would be the right thing to do, but wouldn't help sales.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (12-31-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree. I bought the car a few days ago. I am asking for the letter for my records, and the first response was "sure, we'll connect you with finance so you can buy the extended warranty". Before that they said "In all honesty, it's the first we're hearing about this issue and we have sold (34) 2023 Q8 variants this year and double that in 2022 Q8 variants." I am wondering if letters were sent out early 2023 to existing owners and they are not notifying new buyers? I mean, how could they do that without losing sales? Or alarming people soon after their new purchase? Would be the right thing to do, but wouldn't help sales.
I've received at least three separate emails from the dealer I serviced my car from, regarding extended warranty. It's all starting to make sense. Play dumb and ask to pay for extended warranty so they don't have to pay out of pocket.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobolouie
2019 Q8 with 55K miles. Always turn off the stop/start when I get into car. Now with the dreaded electrical malfunction warning. Towed to dealership as I was 15 miles away on advice of service advisor .

Question - does anyone know if the more recent parts and repair absolutely takes care of this problem?

Otherwise I am trading

SA confirmed that alternator is the issue and that the update part has fixed the issue so far.
2 -3 weeks for part to arrive

Guess I can keep as long as the extended Audi warranty is in effect

Old 01-02-2024, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Guess I would want to keep my S6 long term too, since it feels good to me. And can wait for an official recall on this.

However, if we can still drive the car for another like 10 minutes would ease my worry greatly! Guys, I learnt the hard way not long ago, Lexus is not always the final solution, as early LC500 fuel pump could paralyze the car immediately! And some has weld issue!

For the nice Google Spreadsheet angrypengu made, may I suggest we could also add like “how long you can drive after the Christmas tree error signals?”

I believe this piece of info would be of great value too.

Last edited by danibear; 01-02-2024 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction