Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This message came up on my 2021 Q7 last night (yellow version). I am getting very frustrated with the car since it also drinks oil excessively. It only has 32,000 km on it. After reading this thread, am I not going to see this car for a few weeks? My husband took it in to and of course they’re “swamped” with appts. My husband was able to drive it to the dealership this morning.

Last edited by girlstar28; 01-02-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my new 2023 Q8 last week. Car was built October 11, 2023. I asked the dealer about the extended warranty and Audi told the dealer this:

"If he is concerned about the alternator issue, but what he is apparently not seeing in the forums is that there is a fix and his Q8 is not affected. He would have the U56-Starter-Alternator Warranty extension on his Q8 if it was. His Q8 has the new/improved alternator so it should not fail for the reason the older ones were."

I don't know what to make of this since the most recent Tech Service Bulletin added the 2024 model and still didn't have a hardware fix listed. Also, you would think there would be a recall for cars already on the road with the bad part. Maybe the fix is too new and they plan to do that?
Old 01-02-2024, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Paudi2154
I got my new 2023 Q8 last week. Car was built October 11, 2023. I asked the dealer about the extended warranty and Audi told the dealer this:

"If he is concerned about the alternator issue, but what he is apparently not seeing in the forums is that there is a fix and his Q8 is not affected. He would have the U56-Starter-Alternator Warranty extension on his Q8 if it was. His Q8 has the new/improved alternator so it should not fail for the reason the older ones were."

I don't know what to make of this since the most recent Tech Service Bulletin added the 2024 model and still didn't have a hardware fix listed. Also, you would think there would be a recall for cars already on the road with the bad part. Maybe the fix is too new and they plan to do that?
Ask a dealer about the PN of your alternator. He can check it in his system by VIN of your car. If your car was built in October than theoretically it should have the newest, trouble free version.

Last edited by retom; 01-02-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Ask a dealer about the PN of your alternator. He can check it in his system by VIN of your car. If your car was built in October than theoretically it should have the newest, trouble free version.
Alleged trouble free Too soon to tell!
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (02-03-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Writing my experience with electrical problems as well. Prelog is that I purchased 2019 end model about a month ago. Due to the fact that the car was from Audi dealership and still under warranty, I was able to extend the factory warranty for 5 years and 45k miles. This was the main reason to buy this particular model from the dealership. Overall experience has been great and I have enjoyed it. But it has definingly been the most annoying premium car I have ever had, it has had numerous amount of errors, starting from Carplay freezing, keyless function not operating every time, continuing to dashboard error messages, with most common being the SOS function problem that occurs on weedy basis. I have not jet turned to dealer mostly because they are intermittent errors and go away within second or minutes but it is not something I have encountered before, like from Mercedes or even earlier Audi models. Does somebody knows, do they offer software updated that would make things running smoother?
Old 01-11-2024, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by otacon
Writing my experience with electrical problems as well. Prelog is that I purchased 2019 end model about a month ago. Due to the fact that the car was from Audi dealership and still under warranty, I was able to extend the factory warranty for 5 years and 45k miles. This was the main reason to buy this particular model from the dealership. Overall experience has been great and I have enjoyed it. But it has definingly been the most annoying premium car I have ever had, it has had numerous amount of errors, starting from Carplay freezing, keyless function not operating every time, continuing to dashboard error messages, with most common being the SOS function problem that occurs on weedy basis. I have not jet turned to dealer mostly because they are intermittent errors and go away within second or minutes but it is not something I have encountered before, like from Mercedes or even earlier Audi models. Does somebody knows, do they offer software updated that would make things running smoother?
Check your battery. This looks like your battery going bad.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Check your battery. This looks like your battery going bad.
Battery was changed by the dealership before the purchase in November.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by otacon
My advice. Take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and fix. That's why you bought an extended warranty. I am almost out of my 1 year of extra warranty and will be buying more. I love the car, but it's not without it's issues hence why it's good to have warranty (and use it).
Old 01-15-2024, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2019 Q8 Prestige. Wife just got this dreaded warning yesterday. Took it to dealer first thing this morning and immediately service guy told me "no worries, there is a 7 yr r extended warranty on that alternator, it's fully covered including a loaner car". Great. Fast forward to an hour ago and service messages back saying it's not the alternator it's the voltage regulator module part # 4ko-959-663, it's not covered and they want 1200 for the part, 600+ for labor and plus tax, $2000 repair. Anyone have any experience with this? Are they bull****ting me? I am finding the part used for $2-300 and new for $600. Apparently it's located in the trunk, by the 48v battery. Can it be that hard to replace myself? Will I need some sort of scanner after the part is replaced because it's a difficult European car? HELP!

Sad irony is we just started shopping for a new one because we knew we were out of warranty and the reputation for German cars so we wanted to trade it before any repairs. Already 10k upside on it from buying it in 2021 during vehicle shortages, really don't want to spend $2k on this repair
Old 01-16-2024, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddy77
2019 Q8 Prestige. Wife just got this dreaded warning yesterday. Took it to dealer first thing this morning and immediately service guy told me "no worries, there is a 7 yr r extended warranty on that alternator, it's fully covered including a loaner car". Great. Fast forward to an hour ago and service messages back saying it's not the alternator it's the voltage regulator module part # 4ko-959-663, it's not covered and they want 1200 for the part, 600+ for labor and plus tax, $2000 repair. Anyone have any experience with this? Are they bull****ting me? I am finding the part used for $2-300 and new for $600. Apparently it's located in the trunk, by the 48v battery. Can it be that hard to replace myself? Will I need some sort of scanner after the part is replaced because it's a difficult European car? HELP!

Sad irony is we just started shopping for a new one because we knew we were out of warranty and the reputation for German cars so we wanted to trade it before any repairs. Already 10k upside on it from buying it in 2021 during vehicle shortages, really don't want to spend $2k on this repair
I would get a 2nd opinion at an indie shop. I personally only get things repaired at the dealer if it's fully covered under warranty. Everything else, I take it to an independent Audi shop.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction