Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Question for everyone. 2021 SQ8.

I was sitting in the car last night with it running before heading into a meeting. Yellow Electrical System Malfunction warning came on. I immediately turned off the car and back on. No warning or error messages. Turned car off and went in to meeting.

Returned to car 15 minutes later and no issues. Drive home fine.

Should I be concerned or just assume it was a blip? I don’t drive the car a lot so it can sit for a few days at a time or more between driving.

Given the alternator issues I’m just wondering if I should take the car in for a scan or just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 934 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by jtm1631

I was sitting in the car last night with it running before heading into a meeting. Yellow Electrical System Malfunction warning came on. I immediately turned off the car and back on. No warning or error messages. Turned car off and went in to meeting.

Should I be concerned or just assume it was a blip? I don’t drive the car a lot so it can sit for a few days at a time or more between driving.

Given the alternator issues I’m just wondering if I should take the car in for a scan or just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again.
Scan.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Scan.
I’d have to do that every few days 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 01-21-2024, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hcuorg
I would get a 2nd opinion at an indie shop. I personally only get things repaired at the dealer if it's fully covered under warranty. Everything else, I take it to an independent Audi shop.
Wanted to give an update to everyone. I had dealer order the voltage regulator because we were either going to trade it in and they would need it fixed or we were keeping it so as much as I'd want an independent opinion, I was prepared to take this one on the chin for simplicity. When I went back a day or 2 later they said "we got the part in and installed it and guess what? The alternator is bad too". They made calls and basically confirmed that the entire repair would be covered Audi.

Which I didn't really give a damn about because we decided to splurge and buy a brand new SQ7! It's insane! While I do wonder just how that Q8 would have performed if I had put a tune on it there is no doubting the performance of this SQ7!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Gbop98 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jtm1631

SQ8 does not have the BSG issues as its S/S system is configured differently. Given the message cleared itself, perhaps just a glitch. If it recurs, bring it in.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joining in on the fun here 2020 Q7 (48K miles) - my wife was driving to work yesterday and got the 'electrical system: malfunction! please contact service' and the 'vehicle starting system: malfunction! please contact service'. I assume this is the BSG as I know this issue well as I just had the same thing happen on my 2020 S6 (42K miles) last month. Was able to get the car to the dealer safely yesterday - just waiting for confirmation. For my S6, it took them 2 weeks to get the part and replace / fix the issue. Hoping for a similar turn around this time. Will keep folks updated here to share progress on the issue.

some thoughts: it seems like the sweet spot here (for me at least) is ~40K miles / 4 years - I would tell anyone with one of these BGS's just to be prepared and expect it will happen...
Old 01-25-2024, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

2019 A7 at 24K miles. Waiting patiently for it to happen. I never drive it more than 10 mi from the dealer !!
Old 01-25-2024, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
2019 A7 at 24K miles. Waiting patiently for it to happen. I never drive it more than 10 mi from the dealer !!
Yes sir!

My 2022 S6 @ 8445 miles, both of us need to drive a bit harder so that we can get the new BSG part…… lol…..

Old 01-25-2024, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
Yes sir!

My 2022 S6 @ 8445 miles, both of us need to drive a bit harder so that we can get the new BSG part…… lol…..
Ha, I might drive 6-7000 mi a year spread out over 3 cars (see my signature) so none of them get driven hard
Old 01-25-2024, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
Ha, I might drive 6-7000 mi a year spread out over 3 cars (see my signature) so none of them get driven hard
that’s the problem!~~~

I too need opportunities to drive more……

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction