Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 935 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I didn’t look at this data but i wonder what it would look like as a bell curve w the individual data points over laid. Purpose of this visualization would be to see how concentrated toward 40,000 miles things are, or if the data is more widely distributed - which too me would mean that tho 40,000 is the avg, it is still a gamble.
Crowd sourced effort 😊

Anyone want to take a stab?
Old 02-17-2024, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Crowd sourced effort 😊

Anyone want to take a stab?
Geez. Took a year of Engineering Statistical Analysis at Purdue U decades ago but chucked those books several moves ago. So, if someone else can look into 1 and 2 standard deviations on the combined and exclusive data in the two tabs that would be appreciated. I'm at the back end of a funeral for my father-in-law so will be out of pocket for a few more days.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
You know what I just noticed?

There are two tabs here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...oZ8/edit#gid=0

Take the average of all of the data points from both tabs individually

Both datasets come out to ~40,000 miles.
I'm at 41k on my Q8 and this just happened to me today, so it is good to know I'm average
Old 02-20-2024, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

So I just have to remember to flash my car back to stock at 39999 miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by hcuorg:
angrypengu (02-20-2024), doxtator (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by hcuorg
So I just have to remember to flash my car back to stock at 39999 miles.
They'd still know you flashed it before.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
They'd still know you flashed it before.
It was more of a joke but I'm curious what would happen regardless. They can't pull the "your tune caused the BSG failure" card when every Q8 alternators are failing.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flowerbunny
I'm at 41k on my Q8 and this just happened to me today, so it is good to know I'm average
My experience with this has been much better than most of those posted above--I made it to the dealer without the car dying; they got me in that same day; they had a loaner ready; and it was done within 2 days, all at no cost to me. AND the auto start/stop function is now much smoother than before which is an unexpected plus. So it seems Audi is capable of learning!
Old 02-25-2024, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flowerbunny
My experience with this has been much better than most of those posted above--I made it to the dealer without the car dying; they got me in that same day; they had a loaner ready; and it was done within 2 days, all at no cost to me. AND the auto start/stop function is now much smoother than before which is an unexpected plus. So it seems Audi is capable of learning!
Well after thinking I was somehow going to be lucky and have the one working starter gen, mine finally went at just past 50K miles. Had a start-stop electrical malfunction, called the dealer and had an appointment and loaner for the next morning. On the drive back home everything lit-up and the car shut down, defiantly a scary experience. Was able to start the next morning and limp into the dealer. Similar experience to flowerbunny, car was in for a few days and back as good as new. Also seeing better working start-stop so they must have done some type of software update which is encouraging. I really like the car and have been planning to keep it long term, but now feel like I have another ticking time-bomb. Like everyone else trying to figure out if they really have actually done anything such that we should expect this to last more than another 40-50K Miles. If this were just a standard $1200 alternator repair would probably not be a big deal, but it sounds like they are going to get us for $5-6K the next time around. Hoping that by then maybe there will be some ability to get this done at a secondary shop and not having to pay the dealer prices.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joelkamp
Well after thinking I was somehow going to be lucky and have the one working starter gen, mine finally went at just past 50K miles. Had a start-stop electrical malfunction, called the dealer and had an appointment and loaner for the next morning. On the drive back home everything lit-up and the car shut down, defiantly a scary experience. Was able to start the next morning and limp into the dealer. Similar experience to flowerbunny, car was in for a few days and back as good as new. Also seeing better working start-stop so they must have done some type of software update which is encouraging. I really like the car and have been planning to keep it long term, but now feel like I have another ticking time-bomb. Like everyone else trying to figure out if they really have actually done anything such that we should expect this to last more than another 40-50K Miles. If this were just a standard $1200 alternator repair would probably not be a big deal, but it sounds like they are going to get us for $5-6K the next time around. Hoping that by then maybe there will be some ability to get this done at a secondary shop and not having to pay the dealer prices.
Did the dealer say that the first alternator replacement is the only one they will cover? The warranty states 7 years/unlimited miles.

My car is tuned so I don't expect them to cover my replacement. Which I may fight them on. Regardless, I have a spare alternator in my closet that I plan to ask my indie if they can swap it out if/when I need to if my dealer won't cover it.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you to all the contributors on this forum, I've learned a lot since I got my Q8 back in 2019. The prospect of a failure was too much and I sold my Q8 with 24,000 miles. Good luck to all, hopefully Audi will find a solution

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction