Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hcuorg
Did the dealer say that the first alternator replacement is the only one they will cover? The warranty states 7 years/unlimited miles.

My car is tuned so I don't expect them to cover my replacement. Which I may fight them on. Regardless, I have a spare alternator in my closet that I plan to ask my indie if they can swap it out if/when I need to if my dealer won't cover it.
No they did not indicate that, I would expect that if it failed in the 7 years they would replace it again. That being said with the miles i put on the car I would expect a failure at about 8 years if they have not made any improvements. Based on avg driving I am sure they set th interval such they would only be expecting to replace 1 starter Gen per car on average.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Just took my car to a car wash and when I left, the onscreen button to toggle the S/S funtion was greyed out. There were no further warnings, but when I got home, this popped up on the Audi app. Is this the precursor to the alternator failure?

Old 03-02-2024, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HDCL--That is not what I saw, nor did I get any message on the app. What I got is below:

Did you have any other warning messages/lights or any other electrical weirdness?
Old 03-02-2024, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Talked to my Audi service rep the other day and he told me my 7yr warranty on the BFG will be up in 12 mo. The 7 yr starts from the "In Service" date when the car was first purchased. After that its on my dime.

I suspect you would NOT get another 7yr warranty on a replacement BFG, similar to anything you had replaced under the original 4yr warranty. After 4yr if that same part broke again, its on you

Now, maybe Audi would give some help on a second unit in the name of good will since this whole thing is a giant cluster F...
Old 03-02-2024, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
Talked to my Audi service rep the other day and he told me my 7yr warranty on the BFG will be up in 12 mo. The 7 yr starts from the "In Service" date when the car was first purchased. After that its on my dime.

I suspect you would NOT get another 7yr warranty on a replacement BFG, similar to anything you had replaced under the original 4yr warranty. After 4yr if that same part broke again, its on you

Now, maybe Audi would give some help on a second unit in the name of good will since this whole thing is a giant cluster F...
Im surprised there is no class action going to make Audi take care of this problem.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer

This is bad news...
Old 03-02-2024, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Im surprised there is no class action going to make Audi take care of this problem.
There is one ongoing….

Search Audi BSG class lawsuit, you will find one, I remember it was started last May time frame.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
One is filed. The lawyers will be unresponsive to you at this point as they have the data they need. if they prevail, and yiu contact info is on file w audi for your vin, you will get a card in the mail telling you you may be able to get xyz as a payout. However, w the extended warranty, I think it is all very iffy on if anyone will get anything. Myself and at least one other person in this thread had a direct phone conversation with another law firm that was working to file, but, this firm that filed beat them to the punch. Apparently once one is filed, for that topic, filing another one isn’t worth the effort typically.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
One is filed. The lawyers will be unresponsive to you at this point as they have the data they need. if they prevail, and yiu contact info is on file w audi for your vin, you will get a card in the mail telling you you may be able to get xyz as a payout. However, w the extended warranty, I think it is all very iffy on if anyone will get anything. Myself and at least one other person in this thread had a direct phone conversation with another law firm that was working to file, but, this firm that filed beat them to the punch. Apparently once one is filed, for that topic, filing another one isn’t worth the effort typically.
Once one identical type of topic being class action lawsuit’ed, the ruling will be applied to all us Audi BSG customers.

I do not believe Audi will offer buyback, this is too much…. If they can further extend the BSG warranty would be good.

In my case (maybe a lot of others), I much prefer a recall to prevent this, as I always plan to keep a car long term so I will buy extend warranty anyway. But stall abruptly on high speed is not acceptable to me.

A safety issue must have a preventative recall!

Old 03-02-2024, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by flowerbunny
HDCL--That is not what I saw, nor did I get any message on the app. What I got is below:

Did you have any other warning messages/lights or any other electrical weirdness?
No other warnings or dash lights/messages. I drove the vehicle fine yesterday. The only thing I can think of is something happened during the car wash cycle as the engine was running through the wash and while they were hand drying it.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction