Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Du
Just had my 19 Q8 with 52k experience the same issue on Monday.

Had to wait 24 hours to get it towed to the dealer, while getting my CC stolen with shady Out-of-network towing company because they can't find anyone in network for 24 hours. Not to mention spent almost 6 hours on the phones to sort the towing issue out.

Just called the dealer, was told there are 10 cars in line that has the same issue. No loaner of course.

When asked if they have an estimation, was told they had someone since September and was JUST completed this week. Of course the 48v Generator is on backorder until God knows when.

Now the question is, what can we do if our car is in the shop waiting on parts for more than 1 month, with no loaners available, do we have rights as affected consumers?

​​​​​​Sounds like you're located in Canada as am I - Ontario to be more precise. My Q8 has been with the dealer since October 3 with no estimation of when the part will be in or when it will be fixed. My vehicle is a lease and Audi is still taking the lease payments for a vehicle I don't have. I'm trying to get some compensation from Audi Customer Care but so far no luck. Frustrating to say the least
Old 11-21-2022, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wvhicks
All, I was asked to post the receipt of the diagnosis. Here is how they call it out. Service department was great, but scary to hear this is happening across the model. Hope this information helps.
Your repair shows TSB 2066205/1 (attached). TSB 272241 has also been mentioned earlier in the thread. They both mention software updates. I think they are both describing the same software update, however given the costs involved if the issue re-occurs, I might check with the dealer, and ask them to explain the two TSBs, and ask if they both apply to your car, and if so can both be done, or have them confirm they both describe the same software update using different language. Either way, I would seek clarity from Audi.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10208899-0001.pdf (278.2 KB, 352 views)
The following users liked this post:
frits (01-04-2023)
Old 11-24-2022, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Cross posting:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25766629
Old 11-29-2022, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Your repair shows TSB 2066205/1 (attached). TSB 272241 has also been mentioned earlier in the thread. They both mention software updates. I think they are both describing the same software update, however given the costs involved if the issue re-occurs, I might check with the dealer, and ask them to explain the two TSBs, and ask if they both apply to your car, and if so can both be done, or have them confirm they both describe the same software update using different language. Either way, I would seek clarity from Audi.
TSB 27-22-41 supersedes three or four other TSBs as they realized more and more models and years were afflicted with this malady. The software update remains the same version in each of the TSBs.

Please file an NHTSA report for those who have that opportunity.

Borrowed(!) form another post: Affected owners PLEASE fill out: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
angrypengu (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Q8 electrical updat

I got my 2019 Q8, mileage 60K back after 7 weeks waiting for a new generator due to a faulty hybrid system. I had to pay $2300 in labor cost and Audi saved me $3000. It was out of warranty so I guess I got a deal. It’s a top twenty five repair issues as stated by Audi.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allstar948
​​​​​​Sounds like you're located in Canada as am I - Ontario to be more precise. My Q8 has been with the dealer since October 3 with no estimation of when the part will be in or when it will be fixed. My vehicle is a lease and Audi is still taking the lease payments for a vehicle I don't have. I'm trying to get some compensation from Audi Customer Care but so far no luck. Frustrating to say the least
Nope, I'm in the States. I actually drove my Q8 from California to Georgia a week prior to the malfunction. I am just glad it didn't die on my way across the country.

My vehicle has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. Called them yesterday and the only answer was we don't know when it'll be here. They did inform me the same day the did the diagnostic they placed the order for the 48v Alternator. They also mentioned to me that multiple vehicles are experiencing the same issue. At this point they don't even have any loaner at all, nor they know when they will have any available.

I'm making payments (not lease, but a loan) in addition to the ride sharing. Let along the HORRIBLE experience I have with the road side assistance which resulted in 2 of my credit cards got stolen with their unscreened out-of-network providers 24 hours after I called in for a tow... Audi of USA has the nerves to tell me it's not their problem because it's a "partnership". Neither parties has returned my concern. I was on the phone for 3 hour hold for a CS from Audi USA, only to be told there is nothing they can do but kick the ball around.

Honestly this is beyond frustrating. Bad towing experience, no loaner, no time on parts, no communication coming back after 3 weeks... I am about to sell my Q8... once it's back and no more VW. This shouldn't happen to any customers, especially how they are handling this issue which is common.

Ridiculous.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ajmilan
TSB 27-22-41 supersedes three or four other TSBs as they realized more and more models and years were afflicted with this malady. The software update remains the same version in each of the TSBs.

Borrowed(!) form another post: Affected owners PLEASE fill out: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
Does anyone with a 2022 model year car have this issue? In theory, according to this TSB (which is the latest one), 2022 is not known to be affected. @1stRS I saw you post on this thread, but couldn't easily figure out what model year you have. All the other posters say their cars are 2019 thru 2021.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan

I just submitted my report to the NHTSA. Thanks for the link.
The following 3 users liked this post by avned:
ajmilan (12-04-2022), angrypengu (11-30-2022), bpans (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary thread as I am cross shopping SQ8. Is it confirmed that 2022 and later model years are not affected by this electrical malfunction issue? Is it safe to buy a 2022 or 2023 SQ8?
Old 12-04-2022, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bpans
Scary thread as I am cross shopping SQ8. Is it confirmed that 2022 and later model years are not affected by this electrical malfunction issue? Is it safe to buy a 2022 or 2023 SQ8?
It depends on how you define confirmed. 2022 and 2023 are not included in the TSB 27-22-41...and if you read that TSB, it says the software needs to be updated, and too me the way it reads, the issue is initiated by a software issue that causes the hardware to take a dump. I suppose to be extra sure we could research the part numbers being used in the repairs, and see if the parts being used have been revised from the originals, and if the revised parts are what is being put in 2022 and 2023 cars.
bpans (12-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction