Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by hcuorg
What's sad is I can't even tell if this is a joke or not. Because it's a true statement.
Very sad.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

What's sad is I can't even tell if this is a joke or not. Because it's a true statement.
It's not. I mean, these are cars. They break. This isn't an aircraft, and even then, go and ask how 737 Max's are doing. Acuras have serious fuel dilution issues. Subaru's have windshields that shatter (so do Mazdas). Jeep's remain POS, same as RR, etc.

It isn't reasonable anymore to believe that a car can get you to 10 years and 200000 miles without fault.

Heck, let me pick on Lexus. The Lexus LS500 is a dumpster fire reliability wise.

So what are our options? This BSG issues pisses me off to no end but on the grand scheme of things there is no such thing as as a perfect 'newer' model car.

One of these days I should post my woes with my Ghost. It makes the Q8 problems look like teething problems, and I think I can buy 4 Q8S for what I paid for my Ghost.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's not. I mean, these are cars. They break. This isn't an aircraft, and even then, go and ask how 737 Max's are doing. Acuras have serious fuel dilution issues. Subaru's have windshields that shatter (so do Mazdas). Jeep's remain POS, same as RR, etc.

It isn't reasonable anymore to believe that a car can get you to 10 years and 200000 miles without fault.

Heck, let me pick on Lexus. The Lexus LS500 is a dumpster fire reliability wise.

So what are our options? This BSG issues pisses me off to no end but on the grand scheme of things there is no such thing as as a perfect 'newer' model car.

One of these days I should post my woes with my Ghost. It makes the Q8 problems look like teething problems, and I think I can buy 4 Q8S for what I paid for my Ghost.

I agree that there are no perfect cars. They all have their own issues for sure.

What worries me the most about the Q8's is the fact that they will completely die. From what I've read on here the hazards don't even turn on. Hell, I'm considering having some road flares when **** hits the fan.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree that there are no perfect cars. They all have their own issues for sure.

What worries me the most about the Q8's is the fact that they will completely die. From what I've read on here the hazards don't even turn on. Hell, I'm considering having some road flares when **** hits the fan.
That's not true. The 48V system dies, and then the 12 V system dies. Depending on SOC, it's like 30-45 minutes before the car dies after the warning.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...items-3065030/
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
hcuorg (03-17-2024), oleaudi (03-17-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

That's not true. The 48V system dies, and then the 12 V system dies. Depending on SOC, it's like 30-45 minutes before the car dies after the warning.
Not always. I've been closely following the developments in the A6, A7, A8 and Q8 forums. Members reported different sorts of behaviors. Some did not have the time to pull over and were stranded in the middle of the highway. Some were locked in and the doors couldn't even been opened from the inside. Some were lucky enough to be able to pull over or be able to drive to the dealer. This is a problem to take seriously and driving around with a spare BSG is not the solution 😅
Old 03-18-2024, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kelisko
Not always. I've been closely following the developments in the A6, A7, A8 and Q8 forums. Members reported different sorts of behaviors. Some did not have the time to pull over and were stranded in the middle of the highway. Some were locked in and the doors couldn't even been opened from the inside. Some were lucky enough to be able to pull over or be able to drive to the dealer. This is a problem to take seriously and driving around with a spare BSG is not the solution 😅
You're entitled to your own opinion but not with how current, electricity, and SOC work. There have been a total of 0 reports of a BSG failing leading to an immediate case of a vehicle suddenly dying. If only we had a tracker somewhere.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You're entitled to your own opinion but not with how current, electricity, and SOC work. There have been a total of 0 reports of a BSG failing leading to an immediate case of a vehicle suddenly dying. If only we had a tracker somewhere.
I am a licensed professional engineer in Louisiana, chemical industry although not auto industry….however I do understand engineering/mechanics. **** does happens (and always… believe me….lol), live with it before permanent fix is something I must adapt.

So, at this moment I (many others) care the most is for how long I can drive between malfunction message and car 100% dead dead. I recall I suggested to add another column in the google Excel file to ask for how long cars could be still driving before completely dead.

Does that info already being added? Sorry I did not locate that google Excel meanwhile.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

PS, I do remember one (a lady?) Q8 stranded in the middle of a public road and could not open the door from inside and has to call friends to rescue. Although, I believe she might be able to pull the door latch harder to overcome the normal position to force open as the manual suggested. But the dead in the middle of the road case is real, may be she continued to drive for another 30-40 minutes that I am not so sure, bad memories…..
Old 03-18-2024, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

a car dying on the road could be very dangerous, but it probably won’t be.

a plane dying mid air w no power and no hydraulics is likely to mean certain death.

i think it is about the level of risk. for some people it feels like a scary high risk for them. for most i don’t think they like the idea, but they aren’t going bananas and selling the car. maybe 3 people on here have done that.

if you are that worried, u should join the 3% and sell the car.

reasonable mitigation is to simply be aware, and keep a BSG in trunk if you want to minimize down time.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
...and keep a BSG in trunk if you want to minimize down time.
About that, would certified dealerships accept to install a BSG that they did not provide? What I know is they won't but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction