Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
About that, would certified dealerships accept to install a BSG that they did not provide? What I know is they won't but I could be wrong.
Of course, as long as it's a genuine part.

In any event, reasonable mitigation include 1) carrying a spare BSG 2) selling the car but after #2, what's #3? Buying a reliable luxurious car? There are few options. In the exec German sedan range, all options suck, including the ones from Korea and Japan. Sure, in the Q8 side of the land, I guess a RX350 is reliable, but I don't think that that car competes against the Q8.

Name me a super luxurious high end Q8 competitor or A8 competitor that can go 200,000 miles / 10 years without a fault. I honestly can't think of one. To me, if the achilles heels of these cars is a $700 part + $200 in labor, then another mitigation approach is to simply replace the part every X years and XX,XXX miles. I'm thinking of doing that for my upcoming service, actually. I'm at 30,000km, 5 years, so maybe i'll just replace the part pre-emptively. (or I may not, I don't know).

In any event, we're all on the same side here. None of us want to deal with this problem as it's super duper annoying. As I've said before, if there was a $5000 option to rip out the 48V subsystem on this car from the time of purchase, I would have paid it. I hate all of this crap to the same level everyone here does too.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The downer is we purchase a car like this for long enjoyable road trips......but are afraid to use it for long road trips. CATCH 22
It does make a nice garage ornament.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike
The downer is we purchase a car like this for long enjoyable road trips......but are afraid to use it for long road trips. CATCH 22
It does make a nice garage ornament.
^^^^^Ditto

Plus my wife refuses to drive the car fearing being stranded on the side of the road at the mercy of some weirdo.
As for me, I continue to drive the car locally only not straying too far from the dealer. I'll keep the thing since I have 3yr left on an extended warranty but not a happy camper.

Last edited by Jdsengineer; 03-19-2024 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
About that, would certified dealerships accept to install a BSG that they did not provide? What I know is they won't but I could be wrong.
The thing is that you first need to check what BSG you have installed and buy its latest version to minimize the risk of another failure. Unfortunately, we are still not sure that the problem has been solved in the latest versions of BSG.
Additionally, in some cases (though rarely), BSG failure also damages the 48V battery. And these are additional high costs.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the same issues. Audi replaced the engine battery. Message flashed something about the door locks. Locked car after pulling into my garage. Next morning went to use the car and tested the door locks. Door was not locked. The mirror folding feature worked fine.

Called Audi and had an appointment for this morning. I told them I would wait for the car. Service Manager called and asked if i could bring it Saturday and they would give me a loaner because they didn't want me having to wait all day since it might take several days.

I've owned the car 6 weeks and this is the third time I have had to bring it in.

I think the Mercedes dealer is within walking distance.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Hyundai and Kia are recalling 147,110 of its vehicles. The Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU) may become damaged and stop charging the 12-Volt battery which can reduce the drive power of the vehicle. If the motor vehicle operator losses drive power, an increase risk of a crash may occur, the NHSTAreport said.

Audi, are you listening?? Maybe you should be doing the same thing !

The following users liked this post:
Sk8 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
Hyundai and Kia are recalling 147,110 of its vehicles. The Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU) may become damaged and stop charging the 12-Volt battery which can reduce the drive power of the vehicle. If the motor vehicle operator losses drive power, an increase risk of a crash may occur, the NHSTAreport said.

Audi, are you listening?? Maybe you should be doing the same thing !
I mean in their defense they can't recall something just to replace it with a defective part (BSGs are still failing), LOL
Old 03-25-2024, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I mean in their defense they can't recall something just to replace it with a defective part (BSGs are still failing), LOL
Can we ask them to replace the old defective BSG with new defective BSG at every 35,000 miles (just before 40,000 miles magic number)…. Lol
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Also, Angry, respect your knowledge and input to the community despite my short stay for just 1.5 years here.

but the new BSG part #4N1 still failing is not a quite valid statement, I recall it is an A6? That’s the only case for new 4N1 BSG failing for just months, and then weeks/days, way too stranger.

if you got a second case other than that A6 new 4N1 BSG failed, please share with us. Thanks.

Although, I fully agree that do a recall is a little premature at this stage to declare new 4N1 BSG is the final fix.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
a car dying on the road could be very dangerous, but it probably won’t be.

a plane dying mid air w no power and no hydraulics is likely to mean certain death.

i think it is about the level of risk. for some people it feels like a scary high risk for them. for most i don’t think they like the idea, but they aren’t going bananas and selling the car. maybe 3 people on here have done that.

if you are that worried, u should join the 3% and sell the car.

reasonable mitigation is to simply be aware, and keep a BSG in trunk if you want to minimize down time.
I differ on the point of "reasonable mitigation is to simply be aware, and keep a BSG in trunk if you want to minimize down time"
I don't think it is scary to have BSG failure and car dying in some remote area, However, it is a highly probable inconvenience that I would rather not experience.
I am not devoted to one brand of car, after all, a car is just transportation. Car manufacturers are not required to be transparent about known mechanical issues.

So, I'm not going to dwell on the BSG subject, I have moved on.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction