Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
Also, Angry, respect your knowledge and input to the community despite my short stay for just 1.5 years here.

but the new BSG part #4N1 still failing is not a quite valid statement, I recall it is an A6? That’s the only case for new 4N1 BSG failing for just months, and then weeks/days, way too stranger.

if you got a second case other than that A6 new 4N1 BSG failed, please share with us. Thanks.

Although, I fully agree that do a recall is a little premature at this stage to declare new 4N1 BSG is the final fix.
Sure, I agree w/ you that they're limited data sets but on a balance of probabilities if the new part wasn't failing Audi would issue a recall or the maker of the part wouldn't be in a legal battle with Audi right now. So yes, I think you're recalling it correctly that it's 'on' an A6 but even that is irrelevant. It's the EA839 engine that is being used across the A6/7/8, Q8, etc that has the BSG and the BSG in question has a new version that you're referencing and we've seen it fail, already. Perhaps too soon to tell, but it's most likely not a final fix. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone besides BartenderFloyd reported failures of the new part? That is the only report I have seen and it is a little suspect as others have pointed out.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fillup
Has anyone besides BartenderFloyd reported failures of the new part? That is the only report I have seen and it is a little suspect as others have pointed out.
Come back in 30,000 miles and ~ 3 years
Old 03-27-2024, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Come back in 30,000 miles and ~ 3 years
You have hit the nail on the head!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I was at my Audi dealer this week for my 3 year / 30,000 mile service and asked the Service Advisor about the BSG issue. According to him, the replacement alternator part has been redesigned in some way to prevent this failure from happening again, but he also said that we need to wait another year at least to confirm that the issue is fixed, and the problem does not reoccur.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCL
I was at my Audi dealer this week for my 3 year / 30,000 mile service and asked the Service Advisor about the BSG issue. According to him, the replacement alternator part has been redesigned in some way to prevent this failure from happening again, but he also said that we need to wait another year at least to confirm that the issue is fixed, and the problem does not reoccur.
Thanks for sharing. That’s encouraging for sure!

BTW, your red car looks fantastic! Is it a RS Q8?

My car is white S6. That deep rich red paint begins to grow on me.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
Thanks for sharing. That’s encouraging for sure!

BTW, your red car looks fantastic! Is it a RS Q8?

My car is white S6. That deep rich red paint begins to grow on me.
Yup 2021 RS Q8 and thanks!
Old 03-27-2024, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HDCL
I think this is more lip service than anything.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@oleaudi most people on here are enthusiasts. if the view is more one of utility - i.e. just a car - i would definitely bail out into something more practical like a toyota highlander. they are good cars and more reliable. people don’t say “hey i just want a solid practical car” and land in a german luxury brand product.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@oleaudi most people on here are enthusiasts. if the view is more one of utility - i.e. just a car - i would definitely bail out into something more practical like a toyota highlander. they are good cars and more reliable. people don’t say “hey i just want a solid practical car” and land in a german luxury brand product.
Exactly this. Life's about choices. Anyone spending $100,000 or more on a luxury product may hope for 100% reliability, but nothing in life is absolute other than death and taxes. The more complicated a car gets the more points of failure it may have. Those wanting 100% reliability (or near 100%) aren't landing in Audi products.

In my case, I evaluated the D5 A8 and the LS500 for the longest time and settled on the D5 while accepting a lower reliability level vs the LS500. Colour me surprised 5 years later that the D5 ended up being more reliable (the LS500 has been an absolutely cluster F reliability wise). You win some, you lose some.

From there the question is what do you do? Carry a spare part or no? Sell the car for a Corolla, or no? Buy a 2nd car, or no? These are all problems solved by money and by decisions. They're not the worst problems to have in life.

Am I upset about this BSG issue? Yes. Am I going to be really pissed and annoyed if/when I'm stranded? Yes, you bet.

Have I done things to mitigate this? Yes

1) 250km towing plan
2) spare BSG & associated parts in my trunk
3) I may just swap out my BSG proactively. I'm at 30,000 km/ 5 years and I might swap it out at the 6 year mark at ~35,000km and play Russian roulette again.

This reminds me of the B7 I had in University with the flat tappet cam follower. I was inspecting that part every year (dealer) and proactively replacing it because guess what, a busted cam follower is a lot worse than a busted BSG!

Last edited by angrypengu; 03-28-2024 at 04:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
MorganMay (03-28-2024), ThomasWShea (03-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction