Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

I always joke with friends that my strategy is to seek the items that are the highest cost w the fewest features. german cars tend to have fewer features if you compare vehicle form factor. say you take a small toyota suv and the small audi suv at the closest price point, the toyota will have more features for that dollar amount. BUT, it is all about implementation of the individual features.

my girlfriend’s dad has this Hyundai Santa Fe suv. every time he hears someone mention a vehicle feature he jumps in to say how his santa fe has that feature too! interestingly, we drove his santa fe to montana - the nav was so poor, it was in useable. the way the door unlocking worked with the rear hatch was terrible, i don’t recall exactly how but i recall testing to see the use cases and it was just dog sh*t.

to tie this in: audi’s implementation of this BSG is dog sh*t and they know it. I believe these BSGs will never be fixed by audi. vitesco (what used to be continental powertrain) is probably going to make some tweaks as they more forward manufacturing these units - but they will put the bulk of their effort into a new improved design and that design will not make it into the cars already on the road. the 7 year warranty will cover the squeaky wheel 1st and 2nd owners after that the part cost will be fairly low and the owners at that point will not be originally buyers, or probably even CPO buyers, and audi isn’t focused on that 3rd wave of owners much at all is my guess. they rather crush those car and recycle them to improve their green stats that keep them on the road.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Exactly this. Life's about choices. Anyone spending $100,000 or more on a luxury product may hope for 100% reliability, but nothing in life is absolute other than death and taxes. The more complicated a car gets the more points of failure it may have. Those wanting 100% reliability (or near 100%) aren't landing in Audi products.

In my case, I evaluated the D5 A8 and the LS500 for the longest time and settled on the D5 while accepting a lower reliability level vs the LS500. Colour me surprised 5 years later that the D5 ended up being more reliable (the LS500 has been an absolutely cluster F reliability wise). You win some, you lose some.

From there the question is what do you do? Carry a spare part or no? Sell the car for a Corolla, or no? Buy a 2nd car, or no? These are all problems solved by money and by decisions. They're not the worst problems to have in life.

Am I upset about this BSG issue? Yes. Am I going to be really pissed and annoyed if/when I'm stranded? Yes, you bet.

Have I done things to mitigate this? Yes

1) 250km towing plan
2) spare BSG & associated parts in my trunk
3) I may just swap out my BSG proactively. I'm at 30,000 km/ 5 years and I might swap it out at the 6 year mark at ~35,000km and play Russian roulette again.

This reminds me of the B7 I had in University with the flat tappet cam follower. I was inspecting that part every year (dealer) and proactively replacing it because guess what, a busted cam follower is a lot worse than a busted BSG!
Carrying a spare part in case of failure is not unique to Audi. After my 2015 D4 A8 (and a 2012 A6 Prestige before that) I went in another direction and ordered a 2019.5 Range Rover Sport Autobiography. The car itself has been fine. There were a handful of initial quality issues - they put the wrong steering wheel on the car at the factory, the front camera module (embedded in the rear-view mirror housing) was faulty which caused the ACC and Automated Emergency Braking systems to not work properly. Then the dealer damaged the interior while replacing the camera module. All in, it took a month and a half to get all the issues fixed. The dealer/service experience has been awful - the worst I've dealt with across any car brand, but that's another story.

Anyway, in the first year of ownership, there were a flurry of reports on the RR forums about the spring-loaded trigger on the shift levers breaking. There's a small plastic piece inside the mechanism that breaks, which then renders the shift lever inoperable, and the car stuck and unable to change gears. Some folks jury-rigged fixes with metal cotter pins and super glue, but others just purchased a replacement shifter kit, which at the time only cost about $80. It's a pretty easy job, it just requires a specific Torx screwdriver size to do it. So now I have medium Ziploc bag in my glove box, with the shifter replacement kit and a small Torx screwdriver in it, and the forum thread bookmarked, should the need ever arise.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
Carrying a spare part in case of failure is not unique to Audi. After my 2015 D4 A8 (and a 2012 A6 Prestige before that) I went in another direction and ordered a 2019.5 Range Rover Sport Autobiography. The car itself has been fine. There were a handful of initial quality issues - they put the wrong steering wheel on the car at the factory, the front camera module (embedded in the rear-view mirror housing) was faulty which caused the ACC and Automated Emergency Braking systems to not work properly. Then the dealer damaged the interior while replacing the camera module. All in, it took a month and a half to get all the issues fixed. The dealer/service experience has been awful - the worst I've dealt with across any car brand, but that's another story.

Anyway, in the first year of ownership, there were a flurry of reports on the RR forums about the spring-loaded trigger on the shift levers breaking. There's a small plastic piece inside the mechanism that breaks, which then renders the shift lever inoperable, and the car stuck and unable to change gears. Some folks jury-rigged fixes with metal cotter pins and super glue, but others just purchased a replacement shifter kit, which at the time only cost about $80. It's a pretty easy job, it just requires a specific Torx screwdriver size to do it. So now I have medium Ziploc bag in my glove box, with the shifter replacement kit and a small Torx screwdriver in it, and the forum thread bookmarked, should the need ever arise.
Ohahahahaha, very entertaining. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, anyone here drivers BMW current 8 series 840, 850? How is the feel compared with your Audi.

Been in the bimmer 8 forum for some time, seem current 8 is quite good. Except need to change the OEM plastic cooling water reservoir, a few reported car into limp mode but all good with re-start, one or two reported sudden unintentional go straight front to hit the wall (what…..$&@…)

but still seems attractive to me no obvious design flaws. I might acquire a 850 as a third car spare.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone share any insights if this issue has or has not been addressed by Audi?
Old 04-01-2024, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LetQuattroHandleIt
Could someone share any insights if this issue has or has not been addressed by Audi?
At this moment, I would assume no, at least not sure.

FYI, I remember previous C7 S6/7,RS6/7 V8 turbo oil strainer issue started to be addressed by Audi for MY2018 (so in sometime 2017), and official Audi recall was sent out at 2022.

The rumor is Audi started to update newer version of BSG part # 4N1 last November. So….. go figure we are looking at around 2028….. but different issues, might be different timeline.

You probably want to shop around beyond Audi at this moment.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't know about BMW 850, but I got rid of BMW 650 convertible when it looked like it might strand me on the highway with bad injectors. Wife loved that car. I traded it for 2019 A7 and now my wife just rolls her eyes at me for getting a car the will just quit in the middle of the highway vs the BMW which would just go into limp mode and get us home at least.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
Don't know about BMW 850, but I got rid of BMW 650 convertible when it looked like it might strand me on the highway with bad injectors. Wife loved that car. I traded it for 2019 A7 and now my wife just rolls her eyes at me for getting a car the will just quit in the middle of the highway vs the BMW which would just go into limp mode and get us home at least.

Yeah, I also read quite some current 850 M8 (no 840 if I am not mistaken) owners complained about sudden into limp mode and stumbled into a nearby parking. Waited for some time, re-started and all good…… no they did said it was quite scary. So assume not so fun to experience. Lol.

Previous BMW 650 is such a beauty! Of course Audi A7 is not losing that battle either.

Well my follow up might be a loaded 840.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Joined the club. 2023 A6 55, 10k. Electrical system malfunction while 300 miles from home on vacation. At least the car died in the driveway of our Airbnb.

So is the new part that the dealership is going to be installing over the next few days really a fix and I can forget about this? Or is the verdict out?

this is my wife’s car and primary family hauler, if this isn’t a 100% fix I’m going to move on to something else.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 137 Likes on 93 Posts

Add me to the list of failed BSG owners 2022 RSQ8 31k kms. No real signs leading up to the failure, just got the warning in yellow then a few minutes later the warning changed to red and I was instructed to stop the vehicle. I managed to drive it home (was only 10 mins away) pulled in to the driveway in a way the tow truck driver could tow it easily and then the car began to idle rough. Turned it off, didn't even bother trying to restart since i know this issue all too well because of this thread specifically lol. My service advisor who I know very well did say the updated BSG *should* not have this issue but only time will tell.

Kind of happy it happened close to home, can't imagine being far from home and then having to deal with this.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Pabla
Add me to the list of failed BSG owners 2022 RSQ8 31k kms. No real signs leading up to the failure, just got the warning in yellow then a few minutes later the warning changed to red and I was instructed to stop the vehicle. I managed to drive it home (was only 10 mins away) pulled in to the driveway in a way the tow truck driver could tow it easily and then the car began to idle rough. Turned it off, didn't even bother trying to restart since i know this issue all too well because of this thread specifically lol. My service advisor who I know very well did say the updated BSG *should* not have this issue but only time will tell.

Kind of happy it happened close to home, can't imagine being far from home and then having to deal with this.
RSQ8s have BSGs? Sorry I've only been roughly following this thread for the RS versions.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction