Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I am wondering is if the coasting function for my Q8 is disabled to reduce the possibility for frying the BSG. I saw a introductory video to Audi's MHEV where when the vehicle is going straight in a high way the engine turns off and the electric generator just makes the vehicle coast for a while. I never saw this behavior on my Q8. Is this function working for any one?.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out what the little "green foot" icon that pops up on the dash on occasion is telling me. At first I though it meant I was exceeding the posted speed limit and to take my foot off the accelerator. Then I saw a posted video that said when seeing the green foot that the 48 volt hybrid system was kicking in to power the car for a short period. But when I took my foot off the accelerator, the car just slows down. So I have no clue what it really means
Old 06-12-2024, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
I'm still trying to figure out what the little "green foot" icon that pops up on the dash on occasion is telling me. At first I though it meant I was exceeding the posted speed limit and to take my foot off the accelerator. Then I saw a posted video that said when seeing the green foot that the 48 volt hybrid system was kicking in to power the car for a short period. But when I took my foot off the accelerator, the car just slows down. So I have no clue what it really means

To me, this function is pretty smart and straightforward. It will sense there is a red traffic light ahead or cars jammed in traffic in the near vicinity. Then, the green “foot off gas pedal” appears. I then follow it, car slows down to accommodate slow or stop traffic upfront. It feels like to tell me not to waste gas further because you need to slow down pretty quickly.

Not sure if used front camera/sensors, because one occasion it was after a right turning to see the traffic in front. But the green symbol appears before my eyes can see the traffic after that turn. Pretty magic……

BTW: I have full safety sense, adaptive cruise, pre sense, etc. not sure if this makes any difference. 2022 S6.

BTW 2: I disabled this function anyway. I want to press gas as I so wish…..

Old 06-12-2024, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
To me, this function is pretty smart and straightforward. It will sense there is a red traffic light ahead or cars jammed in traffic in the near vicinity. Then, the green “foot off gas pedal” appears. I then follow it, car slows down to accommodate slow or stop traffic upfront. It feels like to tell me not to waste gas further because you need to slow down pretty quickly.

Not sure if used front camera/sensors, because one occasion it was after a right turning to see the traffic in front. But the green symbol appears before my eyes can see the traffic after that turn. Pretty magic……

BTW: I have full safety sense, adaptive cruise, pre sense, etc. not sure if this makes any difference. 2022 S6.

BTW 2: I disabled this function anyway. I want to press gas as I so wish…..
Yeah this is what I understood about this feature too. Turned it off for the same reason
Old 06-12-2024, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
It means that you are advised to take your foot off the gas pedal because you are approaching a speed limit section, intersection or other restricted area. The system collects data from a camera reading speed limit signs and/or navigation.
Some cars (like mine) also have an additional function of light vibration of the gas pedal.
This feature is available with drive select set to automatic or efficiency. It is not related to traffic lights or other cars.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by msaylica
One thing I am wondering is if the coasting function for my Q8 is disabled to reduce the possibility for frying the BSG. I saw a introductory video to Audi's MHEV where when the vehicle is going straight in a high way the engine turns off and the electric generator just makes the vehicle coast for a while. I never saw this behavior on my Q8. Is this function working for any one?.
Coasting with engine switched off is disabled in NorthAM. It is only a thing in EMEA. It's an NHSTA/Transport Canada thing and is not emissions related. It's safety/"law" related.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
ajmilan (06-12-2024), msaylica (06-17-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got around to calling a dealer to schedule my appointment and they told me that they first check the software and then if they deem it necessary they replace the starter alternator. This is different to what I understood from the letter. The service rep also mentioned that only a few alternators get replaced, implying that most are good and don't need to be replaced.

Did anyone else bring in their car and got the all-clear after a software check?
Old 06-12-2024, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dainiukas
I just got around to calling a dealer to schedule my appointment and they told me that they first check the software and then if they deem it necessary they replace the starter alternator. This is different to what I understood from the letter. The service rep also mentioned that only a few alternators get replaced, implying that most are good and don't need to be replaced.

Did anyone else bring in their car and got the all-clear after a software check?
They should be doing both. Updating the SW and replacing the BSG if it's not the latest one. (4n1)
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
They should be doing both. Updating the SW and replacing the BSG if it's not the latest one. (4n1)
When I finally get around to stopping by the local dealership this week I'll press this point with them. I had the BSG replaced over two years ago (with a 4N0 unit, per the repair ticket) but not sure which version the software is. I have had zero problems with the BSG since then (April 2022).

The "Emissions Service Action Code: 27BQ" says to check the software first for version less that 0562. If less than 0562, then replace the BSG to the 4N1 unit. If 0562 or greater only update the software. If my software version is 0562 or greater and show them I have the older 4N0 BSG I'll camp out until they replace the damn thing!

Old 06-12-2024, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ajmilan
When I finally get around to stopping by the local dealership this week I'll press this point with them. I had the BSG replaced over two years ago (with a 4N0 unit, per the repair ticket) but not sure which version the software is. I have had zero problems with the BSG since then (April 2022).

The "Emissions Service Action Code: 27BQ" says to check the software first for version less that 0562. If less than 0562, then replace the BSG to the 4N1 unit. If 0562 or greater only update the software. If my software version is 0562 or greater and show them I have the older 4N0 BSG I'll camp out until they replace the damn thing!
JFC that's a change from when I had my BSG replaced and no doubt screws over people who had the software updated at their own dime (I recognize that it's not your specific situation but just saying as I was almost going to do this). Not cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrypengu:
ajmilan (06-12-2024), Lego_Maniac (06-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction