Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
JFC that's a change from when I had my BSG replaced and no doubt screws over people who had the software updated at their own dime (I recognize that it's not your specific situation but just saying as I was almost going to do this). Not cool.
My software version is 527, but as I stated previously, I am not yet on the replacement service action list yet (2021 MY). Will have to bug my Service Advisor (or wait until it fails, I am at 23K miles in 3 years).
Old 06-18-2024, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who replaced the BSG on their own dime, could you please let me know how much it ended up costing for labor? I have a 2023 Q8 (manufactured in April 23) with the 4N0 part number that I would like to take on long national park road trips this summer but the chances of potentially getting stranded in the middle of nowhere is stressing me out. My dealer has the new 4N1 part for $550 + taxes on their website but not sure how much I should expect in labor costs. I assume eventually the recall will get to the 2023 models but that might be many months from now.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I share your concern. We recently drove to Florida and back and decided to take the Hyundai versus the A8for fear of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully my 21 will get updated. Otherwise it tends to be a neighborhood grocery getter because we’re afraid to take it any place.
The following users liked this post:
AudiQ81001 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ81001
For those who replaced the BSG on their own dime, could you please let me know how much it ended up costing for labor? I have a 2023 Q8 (manufactured in April 23) with the 4N0 part number that I would like to take on long national park road trips this summer but the chances of potentially getting stranded in the middle of nowhere is stressing me out. My dealer has the new 4N1 part for $550 + taxes on their website but not sure how much I should expect in labor costs. I assume eventually the recall will get to the 2023 models but that might be many months from now.
one solution, which at least one other person has done, is to buy the new part and keep it in the car. that way if something happens on your trip you can have it installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
angrypengu (06-20-2024), AudiQ81001 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
one solution, which at least one other person has done, is to buy the new part and keep it in the car. that way if something happens on your trip you can have it installed.
I mean, that is a solution, but you still are probably going to need to get your car towed to Audi, and they'll need to fit you in. You probably save yourself ~1 day having the part on hand.

When ours crapped out, it took about 4 hours to get a tow truck, then 90 minutes to the Audi dealership. Diagnosed as faulty BSG the next day, part arrived the morning after, car was done the morning after that.

The way my wife and girls pack, I wouldn't have room for a extra BSG
AudiQ81001 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I mean, that is a solution, but you still are probably going to need to get your car towed to Audi, and they'll need to fit you in. You probably save yourself ~1 day having the part on hand.

When ours crapped out, it took about 4 hours to get a tow truck, then 90 minutes to the Audi dealership. Diagnosed as faulty BSG the next day, part arrived the morning after, car was done the morning after that.

The way my wife and girls pack, I wouldn't have room for a extra BSG
At one point, getting a bsg took weeks and weeks. months in some cases. if the supply chain is now stabilize and taking only one day - having one on hand isn't going to be an amazing benefit.

on the packing, apologies, i can't assist other than to share: never let a female load a vehicle!
angrypengu (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

At one point, getting a bsg took weeks and weeks. months in some cases. if the supply chain is now stabilize and taking only one day - having one on hand isn't going to be an amazing benefit.

on the packing, apologies, i can't assist other than to share: never let a female load a vehicle!
I think the days of supply chain issues are over. You might even get lucky and the dealership has one on hand.

The problem is like AudiQ81001 said, what do you do if you're in the middle of nowhere? I was in the Tennessee mountains, 350 miles from home, no cell coverage (only through wi-fi at the airbnb) and 75 miles from an Audi dealership. Audi handled everything great, no complaints, but it did disrupt our vacation, and we had to move to another airbnb. If you're road tripping to multiple destinations through the national parks, a multi-day delay could throw off all your reservations and be a major suck.

I'd be very tempted to just proactively foot the bill to replace the BSG, or take another car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
AudiQ81001 (06-20-2024), ThomasWShea (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mike
I share your concern. We recently drove to Florida and back and decided to take the Hyundai versus the A8for fear of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully my 21 will get updated. Otherwise it tends to be a neighborhood grocery getter because we’re afraid to take it any place.
Exactly, the whole situation is just unfortunate because these are otherwise terrific cars. Hopefully your 21 will get the recall soon.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

that’s definitely an option but as Lego_Maniac mentioned I would still need to get it towed to the nearest Audi dealership and that might be few hours away if I am in the middle of a national park in wyoming/montana. Plus the day or two it will take them to fix everything.

I’ll try to get the full quote from my dealer this weekend and see what they give me.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think the days of supply chain issues are over. .

I'm addressing a few of your comments and replies simply to minimize the time it takes to quote. I was the person with the spare part.

I did what I could to minimize any potential issues. 1) I had a spare BSG, bolts, coolant, etc. 2) I have a emergency tow service that can take me up to 250km away. 3) The relationship I have with my dealership and my personal mechanic at the dealership is quite unique. I have 0 doubt they would have fit me in (I won't elaborate on details publicly) if and when I needed and 4) Audi Canada knew of my worries and would get me a BSG the next day if I didn't have a spare.

Life is about relationships. Sure, a spare BSG won't solve all of the above, but there are ways to mitigate pain.

Now, in regards to your S&D comment. Yes, supply and demand has normalized however BSGs are not sent from the part warehouse to the dealer overnight. There is now an approval process which adds 1-2 business days. So at best it's a 2 day return for the part, and then 4 hours to replace the part once your car is on the lift.

It beats 4 months of waiting though. That said, I'm confident enough with the 4N1 part that I sold my spare 4N0 at a $40 profit on eBay

Originally Posted by AudiQ81001
It's 3-4 hours of labor. So 3.5 hours X hourly rate = voila.
ajmilan (06-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction