Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I'm addressing a few of your comments and replies simply to minimize the time it takes to quote. I was the person with the spare part.

I did what I could to minimize any potential issues. 1) I had a spare BSG, bolts, coolant, etc. 2) I have a emergency tow service that can take me up to 250km away. 3) The relationship I have with my dealership and my personal mechanic at the dealership is quite unique. I have 0 doubt they would have fit me in (I won't elaborate on details publicly) if and when I needed and 4) Audi Canada knew of my worries and would get me a BSG the next day if I didn't have a spare.

Life is about relationships. Sure, a spare BSG won't solve all of the above, but there are ways to mitigate pain.
Totally agree a spare would mitigate the issues, ditto having a good relationship. But what happens if you're 300 or 500 miles or more from home and can't get back to your normal dealership? That being said, Audi acknowledged we were out of towners and prioritized our repair.

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Now, in regards to your S&D comment. Yes, supply and demand has normalized however BSGs are not sent from the part warehouse to the dealer overnight. There is now an approval process which adds 1-2 business days. So at best it's a 2 day return for the part, and then 4 hours to replace the part once your car is on the lift.
Is that for the "recall" or failure? When ours failed, the part was sent overnight. That was back in April though, so it may have changed. I'd be pretty salty if my car bricked and I needed to wait for a secondary approval to get an issue fixed on a 18 month old car with 10K. It's one thing if you are in your AO, another if you're stuck far from home.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Is that for the "recall" or failure? When ours failed, the part was sent overnight. That was back in April though, so it may have changed. I'd be pretty salty if my car bricked and I needed to wait for a secondary approval to get an issue fixed on a 18 month old car with 10K. It's one thing if you are in your AO, another if you're stuck far from home.
The recall for me, my dealer said they one part in and to bring it in. He said they're still having trouble getting parts in. I don't know how true that statement was. Took about a day and a half to get my car back.

I get my oil changes done at an indie since I change mine at every 5k intervals. I'm going to ask them for ****s and giggle show much they would charge if I brought my own BSG in if it ever failed. Will report back in about 3k miles.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Specifically recall. I feel grateful I don't have a data point for failures, but yes. My comment was for recalls only.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 370 Likes on 311 Posts

This is a "Campaign" and not a "Recall" folks.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Only because Audi wont own up to it, or has some specific pull with NHSTC here in America. A great company would have been on this a while back. You can call it a rolling rebate based on parts, but lets be honest about what it is. To leave it up to chance of being stranded is not a good position for Audi. You have loyal owners who will stay with them anyway, but I am sure there are people that are angry enough that have sold or at least wont buy again based on how they have chosen to handle this.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 370 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
Only because Audi wont own up to it, or has some specific pull with NHSTC here in America. A great company would have been on this a while back. You can call it a rolling rebate based on parts, but lets be honest about what it is. To leave it up to chance of being stranded is not a good position for Audi. You have loyal owners who will stay with them anyway, but I am sure there are people that are angry enough that have sold or at least wont buy again based on how they have chosen to handle this.
This is the very reason of my post. It is very dishonest from Audi for masquerading what should be a recall as a campaign. I am of the ones who have ditched his Audis and have decided not to buy another product from this brand because of what they have turned into which is an extremely greedy company specialized in making cars designed with "complex planned obsolescence". It turned out the very BSG failure issue happened because they had the BSG manufacturer make them BSGs to fail exactly right after warranty which did not work out well and ended up with this mess.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure i buy into the intentionality of having the BSG's fail, but certainly the handling of this has been less than honest or fair. But certainly a sign of the times with customer NO-service
Old 06-24-2024, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure i buy into the intentionality of having the BSG's fail, but certainly the handling of this has been less than honest or fair. But certainly a sign of the times with customer NO-service
Audi/VAG have cut corners everywhere after losing billions in the Dieselgate fiasco. It's likely that the accountants forced a decision to go with a more "cost-effective" BSG solution by producing an analysis that the inevitable failures would be cheaper to deal with than the cost of a more robust BSG in every car up-front.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought a brand new 1986 Audi 5000 that was terrible mechanically with all kinds of trans and electrical problems and then had the bad rep of "unintended acceleration" from the show 60 MIN on TV. Car was supposed to be sorta like Christine from Stephen King. Resale tanked and I said no more Audi. Fast forward 35 yr and I try once more with an A7.
I just got the BSG replaced couple weeks ago and I will drive it now for a couple of years until my extended warranty runs out, but I guess I'm done with Audi again also.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure I buy into that either, this isn't a good look for Audi. BMW and Mercedes also use 48v mild hybrid setups and they don't seem to be having any where near the amount of issues Audi is having.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction