Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I am happy and more relieved when I heard BSG is getting replaced. But just want to get these quickly.

Given the fact that I gave up Lexus LC500 and BMW M840/850 for a 2022 S6….. I was really having mixed feelings at this BSG issue initially…

Wife and I went to Destin, FL for a week 2 weeks ago. It was about 5 hours drive but we decided to take the old Jeep GC because our 2022 Audi still has the bad original BSG.

This could be a much more fun journey with beautiful views and nice food along the way. But we took the old Jeep GC and both of us admitted we probably do not want to use it for any longer than 3 hours trip…… our backs hurt….lol….

Last edited by danibear; 06-24-2024 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by danibear:
angrypengu (06-24-2024), Lego_Maniac (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
I am happy and more relieved when I heard BSG is getting replaced. But just want to get these quickly.

Given the fact that I gave up Lexus LC500 and BMW M840/850 for a 2022 S6….. I was really having mixed feelings at this BSG issue initially…

Wife and I went to Destin, FL for a week 2 weeks ago. It was about 5 hours drive but we decided to take the old Jeep GC because our 2022 Audi still has the bad original BSG.

This could be a much more fun journey with beautiful views and nice food along the way. But we took the old Jeep GC and both of us admitted we probably do not want to use it for any longer than 3 hours trip…… our backs hurt….lol….
I am not pissed at all angry, more annoyed. After reading the battles with Vitesco over this, its been a known problem for quite some time and the fingerpointing is bs. As dani said- all we want is to be able to enjoy the car! Are they fixing yes. Was it handled well- No- thats all I am saying. Dont plan on dying on the hill, just wanna make sure I dont die and get stranded somewhere -.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

For info this campaign is happening only in the USA as far as I know. Not sure about Canada but European owners have to pay out of pocket. I guess they can't mess with US laws.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn, that makes it even worse. My point is made
Old 06-25-2024, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
For info this campaign is happening only in the USA as far as I know. Not sure about Canada but European owners have to pay out of pocket. I guess they can't mess with US laws.
What about the UK? I thought UK had pretty strict consumer protection laws with items not "fit for purpose", or does that not apply to cars?
Old 06-25-2024, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

I've already had mine done in Canada. Give it time, people.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
What about the UK? I thought UK had pretty strict consumer protection laws with items not "fit for purpose", or does that not apply to cars?
In other markets, specifically in Europe and especially in the UK and even in Germany, I believe the 7-year non-transferrable BSG warranty does apply in the case the BSG fails within that period but some dealers are giving a hard time to their customers. Some owners ended up paying out of pocket but some others with the proper info and strong nerves succeeded having it completed at no cost after strenuous back and forth with the dealer and Audi. Again, they will do this only when the freaking thing has already failed. If you want to have your currently working BSG replaced for peace of mind with the revised version, you have to pay out of pocket.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

They do not have to pay. In EU BSG are also covered by a service campaign and a 7-year warranty.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy to read about the amount of problems caused by the BSG breaking down. I am going to take my 2019 Q8 with 42k miles on a road trip across the U.S. in the middle of July, planning to drive around 3500 miles within a month. From what I’ve read, most BSG failures happen between 40-60k miles, which is reassuring. I also read that these failures are likely caused by the start-stop system, which I rarely use; I only forget to turn it off when starting to drive. Hopefully, I’ll be in the clear, but as Murphy's law says, if something can go wrong, it will. My biggest concern is that the breakdown will occur in a very remote area without any cellular reception since I will be traveling through national parks in Colorado, Arizona, and California. I will keep you posted on whether I made it without any problems.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by otacon
Crazy to read about the amount of problems caused by the BSG breaking down. I am going to take my 2019 Q8 with 42k miles on a road trip across the U.S. in the middle of July, planning to drive around 3500 miles within a month. From what I’ve read, most BSG failures happen between 40-60k miles, which is reassuring. I also read that these failures are likely caused by the start-stop system, which I rarely use; I only forget to turn it off when starting to drive. Hopefully, I’ll be in the clear, but as Murphy's law says, if something can go wrong, it will. My biggest concern is that the breakdown will occur in a very remote area without any cellular reception since I will be traveling through national parks in Colorado, Arizona, and California. I will keep you posted on whether I made it without any problems.
Godspeed! Keep us posted, Mr. Test Pilot.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction