Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

i read the long article @kelisko shared the link to. Interesting that it isn’t software, which I think a lot of us suspected was B.S. from the beginning. I sure would love to know the details but both sides are keeping that under tight wraps with all the fighting. probably some fault on both sides. both sides were probably trying to get a leg up / extra buck out of the situation, but the gamble didn’t pay out. everything is negotiable, and ultimately i would assume they are going to reach some kind of agreement. audi wants to lessen their burden and vitesco wants the long term business. despite being all pissed off, hopefully both sides learned what can be gotten away with and we will end up with better products in this space going forward.
The following users liked this post:
kelisko (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
They do not have to pay. In EU BSG are also covered by a service campaign and a 7-year warranty.
You probably missed my last post above that I quoted below. European owners do have to pay out of pocket if they want their working BSG replaced with the revised one.

Originally Posted by kelisko
In other markets, specifically in Europe and especially in the UK and even in Germany, I believe the 7-year non-transferrable BSG warranty does apply in the case the BSG fails within that period but some dealers are giving a hard time to their customers. Some owners ended up paying out of pocket but some others with the proper info and strong nerves succeeded having it completed at no cost after strenuous back and forth with the dealer and Audi. Again, they will do this only when the freaking thing has already failed. If you want to have your currently working BSG replaced for peace of mind with the revised version, you have to pay out of pocket.

Old 06-26-2024, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by otacon
From what I’ve read, most BSG failures happen between 40-60k miles, which is reassuring. I also read that these failures are likely caused by the start-stop system, which I rarely use; I only forget to turn it off when starting to drive.
Start/Stop as a root cause is just speculation. I religiously disabled S/S and my BSG still failed.

Good luck! You'll probably be fine. Probably
Old 06-26-2024, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

You probably missed my last post above that I quoted below. European owners do have to pay out of pocket if they want their working BSG replaced with the revised one.
This is the same as with every single TSB since the dawn of time. Need I get into the rocker arm debate as well? Same thing. Want the new PN before it explodes? Pay for it. Welcome to life.

I'm honestly surprised people haven't made a huge fuss about the rocker arm failures on the EA839. The BSG fix (proactive or not) is *cheap* compared to the rocker arm failure and yet the latter doesn't even have an extended warranty from Audi.

Oh wait, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut before the pitchforks start coming out for that one too. *yawn.

Last edited by angrypengu; 06-26-2024 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Yes, but in case of BSG failure it is replaced free of charge and covered by 7 years warranty. Regardless of the fact if the car is covered or not covered by the factory warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
ajmilan (06-26-2024), angrypengu (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I'm honestly surprised people haven't made a huge fuss about the rocker arm failures on the EA839. The BSG fix (proactive or not) is *cheap* compared to the rocker arm failure and yet the latter doesn't even have an extended warranty from Audi. Oh wait, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut before the pitchforks start coming out for that one too. *yawn.
Bravo to Audi for managing such serious design flaws with "great professionalism"! Owners of these flawed vehicles are very happy customers, yay!
Old 06-26-2024, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, but in case of BSG failure it is replaced free of charge and covered by 7 years warranty. Regardless of the fact if the car is covered or not covered by the factory warranty.
We are on the same page with the first phrase of your comment but I am not sure I understand the second one.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

We are on the same page with the first phrase of your comment but I am not sure I understand the second one.
This means that even if the warranty on the car has already expired, dealers replace the BSG at no cost and Audi provides a 7-year warranty on the new BSG.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This means that even if the warranty on the car has already expired, dealers replace the BSG at no cost and Audi provides a 7-year warranty on the new BSG.
So we are saying the same thing here. The BSGs are covered by a 7-year warranty in Europe as well. But there is no replacement campaign there and owners who want their flawed original but still working BSG replaced by the revised one for peace of mind must pay out of pocket. This is what I have been saying since the beginning. You probably missed the context in which I made the comments which is about the recall vs campaign reality.
The following users liked this post:
retom (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

So we are saying the same thing here. The BSGs are covered by a 7-year warranty in Europe as well. But there is no replacement campaign there and owners who want their flawed original but still working BSG replaced by the revised one for peace of mind must pay out of pocket. This is what I have been saying since the beginning. You probably missed the context in which I made the comments which is about the recall vs campaign reality.
And you missed the comment that these things take time. You've written off the UK from proactive replacements when it was just announced in North America like, what, a month ago? I don't get where your entitlement comes from but no OEM generally fixes problems proactively. It's a car, and you own an Audi. RR doesn't do this, Bentley doesn't do this, in fact, no OEM on the planet proactively replaces parts as they're updated.

Reality check would be helpful. I honestly feel like you're trolling but will give you the benefit of the doubt.

PS - proactive part replacements don't even happen in *aviation*. (minus an airworthiness directive)
The following 4 users liked this post by angrypengu:
ajmilan (06-26-2024), dwboston (06-26-2024), KevinGary (06-26-2024), Lego_Maniac (06-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction