Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
And you missed the comment that these things take time. You've written off the UK from proactive replacements when it was just announced in North America like, what, a month ago? I don't get where your entitlement comes from but no OEM generally fixes problems proactively. It's a car, and you own an Audi. RR doesn't do this, Bentley doesn't do this, in fact, no OEM on the planet proactively replaces parts as they're updated.

Reality check would be helpful. I honestly feel like you're trolling but will give you the benefit of the doubt.

PS - proactive part replacements don't even happen in *aviation*. (minus an airworthiness directive)
I understand you. I used to be a diehard fan as well.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 932 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
I understand you. I used to be a diehard fan as well.
It's about being reasonable. Leasing is always an option, as are extended warranties.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's about being reasonable. Leasing is always an option, as are extended warranties.
Both are wise options in today's world especially when buying a German luxury vehicle.
Lego_Maniac (06-26-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

tangent here… @kelisko background: he has two audis in africa and his a7 was imported just a couple years ago w an engine that is basically hosed. he has quite a few very good diy videos on youtube. if i had invested what he has in audi with his results i don’t know what i might be saying, but it wouldn’t be rave reviews. he has one video that goes into a lot of detail about emissions and it gives the history and helps us at least generally understand the larger picture on how we’ve come to where we are in respect to some of the frailness with modern vehicles. some of the over arching points are supported by naptown tuner’s youtube videos showing rebuild after rebuild where he refers to some components as junk parts and you certainly end up getting the idea that the systems and components supporting the engine are not infinitely robust and are designed to need replacement after 4 or 5 years. In summary, I think the maintenance intervals as recommended by car makers today are too long - at least on oil and filter changes. If it were not for @retom and @kelisko i would not have figured this out and concluded I want to perform my oil changes about twice as often vw recommends for their brands. the bsg is another supporting component in these vehicles that fails, and audi didn’t plan for it to fail at the point that it is otherwise we would even have this thread. i believe they planned for it to last just over 5 years, but they missed something and it lasts about half that. in the case of something like say the oil separator audi did pretty good, the part fails just beyond the time they planned. i.e. just outside of warranty. people don’t love that but accept it. @kelisko point is these luxury brands can do better. i think even vw has acknowledged this in the past 6 months when they said they know they have a cost of service issue in their brand stack. i.e. it cost more to maintain a vw brand car than most other brands and they want to get more in alignment with consumer expectations and other brands. As a strong engineering freak, i like the german brands and accept the added cost for the over all better machine. But, it is true, some of these components should be better - however it is also true, vw has to keep the cost of the initial product in alignment as well. it cost much more to make every thing at a higher level so i think over time we have seen vw drop quality of secondary components to keep new car off the lot costs down but in doing that maintenance costs go up because those secondary components fail sooner. All makers are doing this to some degree. The arguments is these top brands should be better than they are. The counter point is the top brands are all about the same, you are basically trading issues, so why single out one brand like audi. My counter point to that is i think all of the top brands need to raise durability of secondary components and to do that they probably need to raise product prices 10 to 15 percent. If they do that they sell less cars. but imo, focus on the product not the quantity of product. people will pay for the better product if it proves itself.
kelisko (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

@ThomasWShea You fully understand the reason why I'm being tough with the brand. I expect them to be better because they used to be and I became a fan because of that. Other brands doing the same is no excuse. This year's JD Power Initial Quality Survey (first 90 days) just landed and they are still doing very bad even with brand new vehicles compared to all other brands. Even Land Rover which was known to be a very unreliable brand is now 5 places higher.

ThomasWShea (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This is why I am disappointed. I came over to audi because of their rep and it seems to be diving. I would totally get a new audi inbthe next few years based on how this is handled, because I think they lead in styling and performance for the dollar
Old 06-27-2024, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

My wife and I had 7 Audis. My last two were SQ7 and then SQ8. I had each for 4 years doing about 10-15k miles a year. During this time, I had "0" problems with these cars (in words: zero).
Read the forums of other manufacturers such as MB, BMW or even Porsche. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
angrypengu (06-27-2024), ThomasWShea (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps.its just the general.decline.of the industry , but it's makes it tough when deciding where to go. This is my second audi A8L previously. I was a lexus guy and never hadn any issues but the designs and color.schemes were going to a younger crowd. My wife is a mercedes gal, and I understand what you are saying with costs in that regard.

I guess i will just watch the jd.power rankings in the next couple of years and see how the bands are.going. I know we have had some people on this forum move away amdni would be interested in where amd why.

thanks
angrypengu (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Based on the experience of 90 days of ownership
angrypengu (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member