Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
Are you saying the jd power is based on 90 days? Didn't know that
Initial quality survey specifically is 90 days (IIRC). It's almost totally irrelevant but to be fair, no one buys an Audi for reliability. Then again, Lexus & Toyota have a terrible issue atm.

It's on the Lexus LS500 as well AFAIK.

I'm about to own a car for my spouse that is in the top 3 on the JD Power list here and I couldn't be more unexcited. It's an appliance, but hey, I have realistic expectations for cars, so, I don't really care.

I just have like 0 patience for entitlement when someone says "I OWN AN AUDI". So what? I own an A8 and no one cares. These are all mass produced cars. Sorry. Wallet size matters, that's it.

Last edited by angrypengu; 06-27-2024 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Wallet size matters, that's it.
Hahaha, I agree. I know I am not driving it surpass 100k miles, and can fortunately afford extended warranty. So I pick 100k car as I like. Unless there are design flaws, safety flaws. Wear and tear? I don’t care.

Resale values? Oh come on, cars at this price point all tank, even Lexus. LC500 tank just as dramatic.

Wish I am advancing into 150-200k cars in the next few years. On my way there…..gas price is still high…so still on the way.

BTW, JD Power survey? Even 90 days survey catalog? What a joke. Statistically means nothing.

JD Power even mailed me a survey when I bought the car like 1-2 months, and asked me to fill out a survey and mail back to him, I just curiously looked at it, seemed will take me like 1 hour. In return, 2 or 2.5 dollars. What a joke! I threw away that funny survey immediately.

BTW 2, survey within 1-2 months of ownership asking me if I like the car, of course I like it. No parts will go wrong that quick yet. But what’s the point?

BTW 3, that LS500 V6 3.5TT (or 3.4TT whatever..) is a crap driving experience wise, I was there, test drove one back at 2020. I did not select it then, will not select it now or future. Say nothing I already read it had blown engine back then. Even it is working fine I still would not take it. So blended and boring feeling in driving seat.

Last edited by danibear; 06-27-2024 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

regarding wallet: i also think it is about other things. if a person has a passion for something they may spend more of their money on it and be more enthusiastic. this can sometimes come across as arrogance. sometimes it is, sometimes it is just enthusiasm. jay leno for example spends more on cars that others w his same approximate amt of money. he is a car guy. it is a passion.

my dad went to toyota when he retired. primarily due to his wife just not being a car person and not liking the maintenance costs that come w larger german cars when they go down. if i recall it was the cost to repair a driver’s seat on my dad’s 7 series that was the straw that broke the back. car went bye bye. now he can’t drive, his reflexes too slow and fortunately he is smart enough to know it, but he does like riding in whatever german car I currently have. he doesn’t like riding in my sister’s small mazda.
ajmilan (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
regarding wallet: i also think it is about other things. if a person has a passion for something they may spend more of their money on it and be more enthusiastic. this can sometimes come across as arrogance. sometimes it is, sometimes it is just enthusiasm. jay leno for example spends more on cars that others w his same approximate amt of money. he is a car guy. it is a passion.

my dad went to toyota when he retired. primarily due to his wife just not being a car person and not liking the maintenance costs that come w larger german cars when they go down. if i recall it was the cost to repair a driver’s seat on my dad’s 7 series that was the straw that broke the back. car went bye bye. now he can’t drive, his reflexes too slow and fortunately he is smart enough to know it, but he does like riding in whatever german car I currently have. he doesn’t like riding in my sister’s small mazda.
Very well said!

Old 06-28-2024, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@kelisko in that jd power graph, what do the gold colored bars mean? all the rest are blue, but two are gold.
Old 06-28-2024, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
Are you saying the jd power is based on 90 days? Didn't know that
This specific survey covers only 90 days for a good reason that I will state below but JD Power does other surveys covering longer periods as well. This year, they already published the 2024 US Vehicle Dependability Survey (last 3 years) and the 2024 Electric Vehicle Experience Survey results in which Audi is still performing very bad, second last and last.
Old 06-28-2024, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by danibear
BTW, JD Power survey? Even 90 days survey catalog? What a joke. Statistically means nothing.
It does mean something and it is very important for the potential new customer, the current customer and the manufacturer. According to Frank Hanley, Senior Director of Automotive Benchmarking at JD Power, initial quality is important as there is a strong correlation between it and long-term durability. So, the study at 90 days gives the customer an early indication of what could be expected after 3 years of ownership. The initial quality number also give manufacturers early feedback on their models so that they can put corrective actions in place.

Originally Posted by danibear
JD Power even mailed me a survey when I bought the car like 1-2 months, and asked me to fill out a survey and mail back to him, I just curiously looked at it, seemed will take me like 1 hour. In return, 2 or 2.5 dollars. What a joke! I threw away that funny survey immediately.
Bummer! Your positive experience you could have shared may have helped improve Audi's score, I guess?
ajmilan (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@kelisko in that jd power graph, what do the gold colored bars mean? all the rest are blue, but two are gold.
The first gold bar designates the best performer in the non-luxury car market and the second gold bar designates the best performer in the luxury car market.
ThomasWShea (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I still do not get it, how could any car from any make could have failing parts in 90 days? The chances is so low that does not make statistics meaning. Oh our old 2016 Jeep GC 3.6L V6 N/A had gear shifter failure at about 40 days of new car ownership. But it runs strong since then, ok, we only put 49k miles for the whole 8 years ownership.

I know I myself could not put more than maybe 60k miles on my Audi for 10 years. So weighing your unique way/need/….wallet size…makes much sense.

I was offered about $2 USD for a lengthy survey. So how does JD Power make the profit to run? Why not make a simply 5 minutes survey to not bother people?

Ranking as entire car make? We are buying high end of Audi cars, does A3/4/5 etc reliability better or worse than A6/7/8?

Again, I do not see much meaning of this specific survey. I would go directly to car forum of the particular model I am interested to get the direct experience. Follow for some time, like 1-2 years. That’s how I dodged the rock arm issue AP mentioned. But this BSG, well….. . I am currently also lurking in BMW 8 series/ Lexus LC500 series/Porsche 911 GTS & Pana for this very reason for my next car.

Last edited by danibear; 06-28-2024 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=angrypengu;25917289] It's almost totally irrelevant but to be fair, no one buys an Audi for reliability.

Perhaps, but at least for me there is some expectation that a higher pricetag should have a bit better performance and reliability. Maybe I am naive, but I cant imagine people dont care about reliability at all. Or perhaps you mean the brand supersedes any reliability concerns. I can see how for some thats possibly true. Regardless glad we are on the right path for correction anyway.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction