Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@danibear it happens cars are delivered w parts that have faults and people notice. The car I have (a 2024 cayenne), some users report a capacitive overhead console light that comes on randomly. Porsche dealers seem to fix this by replacing the overhead console. Just one example. The issues don’t have to be major.

Also, I think they roll up to brand because this is intended to be one of those data points that is very 10,000 foot. JD Power is one of the respected 3rd parties - i don’t know the history or if the respect they get is warranted, but it seems to be a de facto party on these kinds of data sets. So though car person may look model by model, someone that isn’t, and say a vanity buyer, they may just look by maker. Say to decide between which brand BMW, Mercedes and Audi may best match with their LV or Gucci style preferences.

I had a good experience w my prior audi. I really like how it drove. Before that I was BMW for 17 years. However audi cars imo have nicer interiors. So I went audi. Now I am w Porsche - again interior driven mostly in my case (i like physical click-y switches and lots of leather), as well as my perception of handling.

So to close the loop - audi’s. bad bsg since it is a cross model product has probably really hit the brand hard. This bsg thing is a major miss. I hope in the end they will sit w vitesco and do a serious lessons learned and that this mild hybrid tech will get a stability improvement as a result. Ur starting and stopping a gas engine many more times - granted these are not cold starts, the why eco system of how the vehicle works is going to be impacted. The kinks need to be worked out.
The following users liked this post:
danibear (06-28-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

A review based on the first 90 days of ownership is really nothing more than a dealership/sales experience survey. In the first 90 days most of us have not even had an oil change.
The following 2 users liked this post by KevinGary:
angrypengu (06-29-2024), Lego_Maniac (06-29-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Experts disagree. See quote below. I wouldn't buy a brand new car if I knew it would be difficult to live with the first 90 days. I would be buying it to have a pleasant experience, hoping nothing would be annoying and nothing would break at least for some time, probably more than 90 days. The 90 days study may be irrelevant to some but the 3 years study reflecting exactly what the 90 days study is predicting can't be ignored.

"The 90 days review does mean something and it is very important for the potential new customer, the current customer and the manufacturer. According to Frank Hanley, Senior Director of Automotive Benchmarking at JD Power, initial quality is important as there is a strong correlation between it and long-term durability. So, the study at 90 days gives the customer an early indication of what could be expected after 3 years of ownership. The initial quality number also give manufacturers early feedback on their models so that they can put corrective actions in place."
ThomasWShea (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@kelisko hard to refute that. i dislike consumer reports but that is because I do not think i am their target audience. They are aiming for very high value and middle end person’s expectations.
kelisko (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@kelisko hard to refute that. i dislike consumer reports but that is because I do not think i am their target audience. They are aiming for very high value and middle end person’s expectations.
Now @ThomasWShea, when you say “I do not think I am their target audience” would that be the Audi audience or non-brand specific audience?
Ha.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Now @ThomasWShea, when you say “I do not think I am their target audience” would that be the Audi audience or non-brand specific audience?
Ha.
What he is looking for in the market is not value for money or 10-year reliability, but real luxury and perfection whatever the price but worth it, for some acceptable ownership period. Could be an Audi, could be any other luxury brand, as long as it meets his expectations. That's how I understand him.
Old 07-03-2024, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@Mrclopec & @kelisko yes, i have a strategy where i look for items with less features and higher costs. you do that and you end up with higher quality items more times that not. I don't care if you need to charge me extra, I want what I want, so long as I can afford it. I rather compromise on features and keep quality if I need to make a decision to spend less on something I'll sacrifice features. My girlfriend's dad talks about all the features his 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe has - if ever someone mentions a feature a car has, her dad jumps in "the hyundai has that!" - we took the Hyundai to Montana the summer before last while we were waiting for the SQ8 - the features were so poorly implemented some were imo un useable. Never could figure out how to release or close the hatch from the cabin of the car. The on board navigation was like: good luck. the steering column stalks were a disaster - i really hated the steering column stalks in that car - they felt very hollow and cheap:

Old 07-12-2024, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Received the email this morning regarding the proposed settlement for the BSG class action lawsuit. I fortunately did not have the failure in my 2019 Q8, but here's the website: https://www.bsgsettlement.com/
angrypengu (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the settlement in lieu of the campaign to replace?
Old 07-12-2024, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by smileman83
Is the settlement in lieu of the campaign to replace?
This is a "proposed" settlement in a class action lawsuit. It is not effective yet and is not in lieu of the campaign to replace. The campaign is selective and does not reimburse people who fixed this issue in the past out of pocket. The proposed settlement if it goes though will force them to replace the BSGs for the plaintiffs or compensate them fully.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction