Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
​​​​​This is a curiosity, I'm not sure if it's not a mistake because such an alternator does not exist in the original Audi parts catalog for SQ8/RSQ8.
it does see out of step. how can we find out? i suppose having someone with their SQ8 look is one option. i could call the dealer and ask, i thought maybe the diagram was wrong, even though the part number may be correct.

edit: when i click images after searching for the part number what shows up matches the diagram...not sure how much stock to put in that.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 12-11-2022 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-11-2022, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Did you read the TSB with him? I just don't know how he could conclude it is a hardware issue, when the hardware isn't being changed to different hardware, and the TSB says to update the software and the implication is that the software issue causes the hardware failure. If you have another dealer around, go to the other dealer. I know they've updated mmi software without error codes being thrown, ask them to point to the written policy that says that. I don't think there is one. I think they are just wanting to avoid risk and work.
This is not quite correct. It seems to me that the first half of the TSB repair is to update the software. Then, if a certain error is found (DTC U046900) then the expanded ambient conditions are check. The hardware is replaced upon this secondary value = 5.

The the repair is ALWAYS software and MAYBE hardware. The two scenarios are:
1. Replace hardware upon ambient condition value =5, then update software
2. Update software only (ambient condition value <> 5)

Old 12-11-2022, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ajmilan
This is not quite correct. It seems to me that the first half of the TSB repair is to update the software. Then, if a certain error is found (DTC U046900) then the expanded ambient conditions are check. The hardware is replaced upon this secondary value = 5.

The the repair is ALWAYS software and MAYBE hardware. The two scenarios are:
1. Replace hardware upon ambient condition value =5, then update software
2. Update software only (ambient condition value <> 5)

thanks for clarifying that. I believe they are saying that because if the software failure goes on long enough, the hardware dies. i.e. in the case above, when the dealer told them to bring the car in right away, then the car died totally on the way in. I think there is only a small amt. of time that it would not destroy the hardware, or maybe once the software condition exists, the condition that destroys the hardware is far more likely to occur? something like that...
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
ajmilan (12-11-2022), angrypengu (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

thanks for clarifying that. I believe they are saying that because if the software failure goes on long enough, the hardware dies. i.e. in the case above, when the dealer told them to bring the car in right away, then the car died totally on the way in. I think there is only a small amt. of time that it would not destroy the hardware, or maybe once the software condition exists, the condition that destroys the hardware is far more likely to occur? something like that...
That seems reasonable. Of course, the amount of time is likely unknown by Audi. They'd have to look at the time the time the ambient error is thrown after the "Christmas tree" errors appear.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ajmilan
That seems reasonable. Of course, the amount of time is likely unknown by Audi. They'd have to look at the time the time the ambient error is thrown after the "Christmas tree" errors appear.
i would love to know how much time they put into troubleshooting or reproducing this. i speculate not as much as they should have. i say that because if they really had an air tight idea of what was going on, i think they would just update the software for everyone when they come in for service. i just don’t think they are very good at software. maybe i am wrong - would love to talk to someone in software at audi.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@joelkamp is saying they won't do it. i don't think it is a matter of paying.
Correct that is what I was told, would love to hear if others have had or obtain different results when asking for a preemptive SW update. While maybe not happily, given the vehicle is under warranty, I would certainly pay for the SW update if it meant I don't have a chance of being stuck on the side of the road and without the car for who knows how long.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joelkamp
Correct that is what I was told, would love to hear if others have had or obtain different results when asking for a preemptive SW update. While maybe not happily, given the vehicle is under warranty, I would certainly pay for the SW update if it meant I don't have a chance of being stuck on the side of the road and without the car for who knows how long.
i suspect your dealer’s stance, based on what you’re saying, will be that they won’t do the SW update at all whether you pay for it or not. if they say they will happily do it if you pay them, that is okay to me because that could be viewed (if i am charitable with how i would interpret their stance) as replacing parts that aren’t broken. you can pay them to do it, but they won’t do it as warranty work.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (12-11-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric system malfunction

Originally Posted by Q8jake
The”Electrical System Malfunction” happened to me as well. And as soon as this comes up. Go to a dealership immediately DO NOT WAIT. In my case, it was the alternator that went bad ($3400). This happened on a Saturday and I went to the dealership on a Monday. That caused the 48v battery to die completely and once that happens it won’t charge back up this battery ($2000) had to be replaced. Total cost with tax was about $7600. I have a 19 Q8 with 60k miles.
This also happened to my 2019 Q8 with 50k miles on it. It’s still at Audi getting repaired. My question is after you repaired it, did the issue happen again?

Old 12-13-2022, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpreneur
we opened an escalation for mine. They agreed to cover 75% given I just came out of warranty at 54k miles.

I have a Q7 loaner, and it seems I’m going to have it for awhile based on what I’m seeing and hearing here. Probably need to push them to give me a Q8 loaner, and they can keep it as long as they need.
part came in for mine yesterday. They fixed it in a day, and car is ready for pick up. Cars been in from roughly Halloween, so six weeks’ish. Have had a Q8 loaner for 5 of the 6.

Dealer handled like a champ. Goodwill adjustment given just out of warranty. Cost out of pocket ~$1100.

Here is the service and part sheet for reference if anyone needs it.

ajmilan (12-15-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sapphire3636@yahoo.com
This also happened to my 2019 Q8 with 50k miles on it. It’s still at Audi getting repaired. My question is after you repaired it, did the issue happen again?
A 2nd occurrence hans't been reported in the thread. And if the theory that the software update prevents the issue is true, it would not happen again. the generator/alternators are being replaced with the same parts that failed based on the paper work people are providing. my interpretation of the TSB is that the software is causing/allowing the generator to fail - the issue isn't within the generator itself. some people luck out and can just get away with the software update, but most of the time, the generator/alternator ends up getting killed due to whatever the condition is that the software does not handle.
ajmilan (12-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction