Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Q8 electric system malfunction

Originally Posted by Steve Du
Just had my 19 Q8 with 52k experience the same issue on Monday.

Had to wait 24 hours to get it towed to the dealer, while getting my CC stolen with shady Out-of-network towing company because they can't find anyone in network for 24 hours. Not to mention spent almost 6 hours on the phones to sort the towing issue out.

Just called the dealer, was told there are 10 cars in line that has the same issue. No loaner of course.

When asked if they have an estimation, was told they had someone since September and was JUST completed this week. Of course the 48v Generator is on backorder until God knows when.

Now the question is, what can we do if our car is in the shop waiting on parts for more than 1 month, with no loaners available, do we have rights as affected consumers?

Came on here looking for answers when this exact thing happened to my 19’ Q8. The heater stopped working, and a few other things. I didn’t realize it was such a major issue until I read this thread.

Had to get it towed to the dealer myself, since I am out of warranty so no more Audi roadside. Upon arrival service advisor told me they have over 10 vehicles most 2019 models with the same issue and the part is on back order. He also told me they would be keeping the car there (I’m sure Audi knows it’s a hazard and they’re not safe to drive at this point) he also said there are no loaners.

I asked him approximate cost to fix this and he said well over $2,000 after parts and labor. Great, my car is a lease, and now they expect me to pay all this $$ for a car I don’t even own. I told him that they should do something about it since there are many cars with the same issue. He said most likely there will be a recall, but at this time there isn’t one.

Next day he got back to me and said he spoke with the manager, and they are going to cover the cost to fix it! I had also been bugging him about me not having a vehicle, and that I need to get to work, so they rented me a car from enterprise! A Q3 to be exact, ok not in the same league as my Q8 but I am not complaining at all. Feeling blessed that my dealership is taking care of it and their customers.

Hopfully a recall will come out very very soon. In the meantime I’m getting rid of the Q8 as soon as it’s out
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
A 2nd occurrence hans't been reported in the thread. And if the theory that the software update prevents the issue is true, it would not happen again. the generator/alternators are being replaced with the same parts that failed based on the paper work people are providing. my interpretation of the TSB is that the software is causing/allowing the generator to fail - the issue isn't within the generator itself. some people luck out and can just get away with the software update, but most of the time, the generator/alternator ends up getting killed due to whatever the condition is that the software does not handle.
TWS, that's how I interpret it as well. The software causes the generator to fail. If enough time/cycles/whatever occur, then the generator ultimately fails and needs to be replaced as well (the ambient error = 5, in the TSB).
ThomasWShea (12-15-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

So great news in this whole debacle. I filed a complaint with Audi corporate a few weeks ago for my car being in the shop for a total of 2 months. They just came back with a full settlement offer to pay for time lost (2 months of car payments).

I would highly recommend doing it if you've been waiting a long time for parts. They were very quick to reply back and the resolution was much faster than I had expected. Pretty impressed, even though this has been a headache.
The following 4 users liked this post by avned:
A7NJ (10-21-2023), ajmilan (12-16-2022), CJayz (04-21-2023), Pabla (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by avned
So great news in this whole debacle. I filed a complaint with Audi corporate a few weeks ago for my car being in the shop for a total of 2 months. They just came back with a full settlement offer to pay for time lost (2 months of car payments).

I would highly recommend doing it if you've been waiting a long time for parts. They were very quick to reply back and the resolution was much faster than I had expected. Pretty impressed, even though this has been a headache.
my guess is, since they were so fast, this is what they have decided to do for people in this case w this TSB. they are trying to make it right and that is good. but ideally people would not need to chase them down and ask.
ajmilan (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
my guess is, since they were so fast, this is what they have decided to do for people in this case w this TSB. they are trying to make it right and that is good. but ideally people would not need to chase them down and ask.

totally agreed. I picked mine up today after 7 weeks. Service advisor told me there are ~5,000 Audis in shops waiting on this part at the moment across various models.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corpreneur
totally agreed. I picked mine up today after 7 weeks. Service advisor told me there are ~5,000 Audis in shops waiting on this part at the moment across various models.
so what does that mean??? there are probably 2500 of the 5000 in california alone 😆
Old 12-19-2022, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mia A.
Came on here looking for answers when this exact thing happened to my 19’ Q8. The heater stopped working, and a few other things. I didn’t realize it was such a major issue until I read this thread.

Had to get it towed to the dealer myself, since I am out of warranty so no more Audi roadside. Upon arrival service advisor told me they have over 10 vehicles most 2019 models with the same issue and the part is on back order. He also told me they would be keeping the car there (I’m sure Audi knows it’s a hazard and they’re not safe to drive at this point) he also said there are no loaners.

I asked him approximate cost to fix this and he said well over $2,000 after parts and labor. Great, my car is a lease, and now they expect me to pay all this $$ for a car I don’t even own. I told him that they should do something about it since there are many cars with the same issue. He said most likely there will be a recall, but at this time there isn’t one.

Next day he got back to me and said he spoke with the manager, and they are going to cover the cost to fix it! I had also been bugging him about me not having a vehicle, and that I need to get to work, so they rented me a car from enterprise! A Q3 to be exact, ok not in the same league as my Q8 but I am not complaining at all. Feeling blessed that my dealership is taking care of it and their customers.

Hopfully a recall will come out very very soon. In the meantime I’m getting rid of the Q8 as soon as it’s out
Wow lucky! I had roadside assistance but it took them 24 hours to find someone to tow it by an out-of-network company. Complained to the AoA after being on hold for 2 and half hours, only being told "we don't care even if we have a partnership with them."

As of today the car is been with the dealer for a month, dealer still don't have a loaner nor there are any words on perform the repair for no charge (quoted me $3k), and of course no ETA (best estimate late Feb / early March).

So... anyone want to start a class action lawsuit? Or if there is one already in progress?

Last edited by Steve Du; 12-19-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by avned

Curious, which channel did you use to file the complaint? I was on the phone, each time over 2 hours of holding, the agent will not take complaints! If you could please share with us how do you file the complaint that'll be great. No point to pay for a car that I can't use for God knows how long...
Old 12-19-2022, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Curious, which channel did you use to file the complaint? I was on the phone, each time over 2 hours of holding, the agent will not take complaints! If you could please share with us how do you file the complaint that'll be great. No point to pay for a car that I can't use for God knows how long...
I'd email audiexperience@e.audiusa.com...be detailed. If someone can provide a name of who agreed to pay for the repair, that'd be ideal, you could reference that person in the email.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the number I was given by my Audi SA - (866) 671-2282

I selected the service/warranty option I believe to file my complaint. Used the callback option as the wait time was over an hour. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction