Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If it makes you feel better, I just saw a fairly new BMW 5er burnt on the highway.
However, I am sure that he'll get a total loss though.
The following users liked this post:
joemb239 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive system maulfunction

My 2021 Q5e just had the same problem today on our way back from Vegas, 6k miles on the odometer, Drive system mailfunction, engine light on, hybrid battery meter turn grey, however it’s still drivable on ICE, so we made it home, after shutting the car off and restart, it went back to normal except the check engine light, going to call the dealer tmr
Old 10-26-2021, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 21’ Q5 Hybrid issue with recent battery replacement

So 5 days ago I went to Audi to have my 2017 A4 serviced and decided to trade it in and purchase a 2021 Q5 hybrid. The Q5 was auctioned out of Utah, had ~10k miles in it and carfax reported that the “battery” was replaced 3 months ago. Kind of strange to have to replace the battery but their loss is my gain I assumed.

Today the check engine light was illuminated. The dealer filled my gas tank just a few days ago but the manual states that I need to ensure that the cap was put on securely otherwise it could trigger sensor. Yup, that did and still light was on.

I wanted to give this car back to the dealer because of it’s troubled history (auctioned, history of replaced battery) but I felt that I was strong armed to give the service department a chance to rectify the situation. “Don’t worry, since it is under warranty then we will fix it”. Miraculously a loaner was suddenly available and I dropped off the Q5 a few hours ago.

I did find it strange today that when I arrived to work today at 8 am to charge my car the charging unit wasn’t communicating with the Audi’s receptacle. I had to unplug and reset the charge. 4 hours later after returning to work from lunch around noon my engine light came on for the 1st time. I tried charging the car again and again Inhad the same issue that I had in the morning. Activate charger with credit card, plug in charger to Audi, 1st a green light near the Audi receptacle then light turns orange. Unplug charger, swipe credit card again, plug it in then it works.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NJSRT
So today I received an error “Electric System Malfunction” message on the dash. Drone fine for the 5 minutes left in my drive. I turn it off, come back in an hour and the light is still there. There was a check engine light up top and the battery light at the bottom. After about 5 minutes of driving, I get a random rear light error message. Then, I get a system malfunction message, so a red warning light is on. Starting to look like Christmas again lol. At this point I started heading to a local dealer. But I didn’t make it. I noticed odd things like the auto start/stop not enabled. Then the speed sign sensor wasnt working, the car didn’t have much power, like limp mode, then the lane departure went, then the traction control system went, then the transmission something went. Whole ****ing electrical sent went. It told me to pull over slowly. I felt and heard a loud clunk as well. Of course I’ve pulled over by now. Called a local dealer, explained the situation, then I called Audi roadside to pick up the car. Tried to turn on the car when the tow truck was there, but the lights were doing some weird stuff. It rolled my driver side window down ??? Wtf. Anyways, tow guy was very cool and got it up on the truck. It’s at the dealer and hope to hear from them in the morning.

I’ve looked into the messages and I’m thinking it’s related to the 48 volt hybrid system in these cars. I think it’s worthless that they would implement this kind of technology in these cars. So unnecessary and more gimmicky.

just wanted to share my experience with you guys and I’ll keep you updated.

I had the exact same thing happen to my 2019 Q8! what was the cost to fix?
Old 02-21-2022, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The”Electrical System Malfunction” happened to me as well. And as soon as this comes up. Go to a dealership immediately DO NOT WAIT. In my case, it was the alternator that went bad ($3400). This happened on a Saturday and I went to the dealership on a Monday. That caused the 48v battery to die completely and once that happens it won’t charge back up this battery ($2000) had to be replaced. Total cost with tax was about $7600. I have a 19 Q8 with 60k miles.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2019 A7 electric malfunction

Joining in today with a similar experience. For 3-4 months was getting random (yellow) malfunction messages: engine, loose wheel bolt, oil level too high, warm up the engine (after driving 5 -10 mins). All dismissed by service rep from dealership. This week the day after my 60 000 km major maintenance: A red messages: electrical network failure (on the highway) leading to loss of speed shifting, loss of heating, all 3 lcd screens going blank
and eventual loss of power and stopping on the roadside. Tow truck has to boost the battery to move it up the ramp. Dealership has no explanation why it passed the 60k inspection but now points to a 48V electrical system failure. Awaiting recommendations from Audi Canada on how to fix it since they have never encountered the problem… One week tomorrow… Waiting. Those random, unrelated, errors messages for months could have been related?
Old 02-28-2022, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by PAMtl
Joining in today with a similar experience. For 3-4 months was getting random (yellow) malfunction messages: engine, loose wheel bolt, oil level too high, warm up the engine (after driving 5 -10 mins). All dismissed by service rep from dealership. This week the day after my 60 000 km major maintenance: A red messages: electrical network failure (on the highway) leading to loss of speed shifting, loss of heating, all 3 lcd screens going blank
and eventual loss of power and stopping on the roadside. Tow truck has to boost the battery to move it up the ramp. Dealership has no explanation why it passed the 60k inspection but now points to a 48V electrical system failure. Awaiting recommendations from Audi Canada on how to fix it since they have never encountered the problem… One week tomorrow… Waiting. Those random, unrelated, errors messages for months could have been related?
So it is very possible that the previous error messages were due to some kind of malfunction in the electrical systems. It is possible that the battery charging system was not working properly causing a voltage drop in the car's electrical network.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2019 Q8 Electrical System Malfunction

Just adding my experience. This past Saturday same exact series of warnings happened to me driving home. I got home safely and, after reading all the messages on this thread, decided not to drive it the rest of the weekend. Called my Audi Dealer this Monday morning, and was told to call Audi Roadside Service and have my 2019 Q8 towed into the dealer for what looks like a failure of all or part of the 48 volt hybrid system. It is there now and I will let the Forum know what transpires. Up until this point, my Q8 has been a very reliable and fun SUV. I love it a lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baytopia:
Sativa High (06-12-2024), SoundsoftheSuburbs (03-17-2023)
Old 03-21-2022, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Baytopia
Just adding my experience. This past Saturday same exact series of warnings happened to me driving home. I got home safely and, after reading all the messages on this thread, decided not to drive it the rest of the weekend. Called my Audi Dealer this Monday morning, and was told to call Audi Roadside Service and have my 2019 Q8 towed into the dealer for what looks like a failure of all or part of the 48 volt hybrid system. It is there now and I will let the Forum know what transpires. Up until this point, my Q8 has been a very reliable and fun SUV. I love it a lot.
Just curious. How many miles do you have on your 2019 Q8?
Old 03-21-2022, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkIndy
Just curious. How many miles do you have on your 2019 Q8?
Just over 40K. As a matter of fact, my dealership is going to do the 40K service at the same time they are repairing the 48 volt system.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction