Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

For those with the ability to check, this is apparently the correct software version that is supposed to prevent the issue. The version number on my vehicle matches what is in the TSB.

On a separate note, I am happy to report that the MMI recall update now enables Wireless Android Auto (at least for MIB 3).

Last edited by HDCL; 01-04-2023 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eurocar1 (07-02-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know if this is accurate, but if you have an RS Q8 waiting for a part, a Chicagoland dealer has it in stock

Old 01-04-2023, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

I don't think we're talking about the same problem in this thread and we're taking a tangent.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I don't think we're talking about the same problem in this thread and we're taking a tangent.
I totally agree.
angrypengu (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@angrypengu and @rickbrl - there was the post yesterday from @HDCL - and it is not the SAME problem, I probably should have messaged him. however the error he mentioned, and the clarification that his error is not the same issue might help others, particularly since it mentions the software from the TSB.
angrypengu (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LDNCLR
told me there is now an "Alternator Failure Specific Protocol" that has been recommended to all dealers in the US. She spoke of a few ways AoA was willing to provide assistance, ranging from helping with loaner/ rental cars, to discounts for new Audis if I was willing to trade my broken Q8 in. Id rather not talk about the specifics here because I don't want to misquote her or misinform any one here, but I did request she email me the documentation for this program.

I'm very interested in what you hear from them about loaner/rental. I received an email response from AoA yesterday where all I'm getting is:
Originally Posted by AoACustServRep
Unfortunately, we do not have rental vehicles here at Audi of America to utilize. This is provided directly by the dealership, as they have fleet vehicles available that they can draw from. With this not being a provision of your warranty; what you may do is pay out of pocket for the loaner, and we can have your case reviewed once the total time down and the date of completion is known.
That is not a promise of payment / reimbursement. I am looking for exactly that, written authorization/pre-approval that they will cover up to $xx dollars per day for some time period / until dealer can give me a loaner. If they can't arrange for it to be automatically billed to them, I'm okay paying out of pocket but I want assurance they are actually going to reimburse me at some point and not "submit for review later and then we will decide".

Old 01-06-2023, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeethedog
Would like to be informed if anyone hears of class action on the alternators of 2019 Q8. Ours went out - our local dealer had 9 on the lot waiting for parts. We were told it would be 3-4 months before we could get our car back! They had no loaners and told us Audi NA would reimburse us for the rental thru Audi Direct. I have yet to hear from Audi NA about the reimbursement - we are on day1 of rental. This is a huge problem for Audi - appears to be on 2019 Q8, A8 and Q7 with the hybrid alternator.
So AoA called me back after I opened a case and left a message that there is now a program for the dealer to reimburse rentals. I of course called my dealer (White Allen in Dayton, OH) and they said Ya, there is a AoA program but we have not even begun to set it up. It will be months before we are ready to reimburse for rentals. So once again stuck in no mans land. I have been trying to talk to my AoA case manager now for a few days and low and behold all calls go to VM and no one will call back....

Old 01-06-2023, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@angrypengu and @rickbrl - there was the post yesterday from @HDCL - and it is not the SAME problem, I probably should have messaged him. however the error he mentioned, and the clarification that his error is not the same issue might help others, particularly since it mentions the software from the TSB.
Apologies - I thought we were all discussing the same problem - Alternator/Generator failure which manifests itself as the Electrical Malfunction. My comments were related in the sense that I got the same error message but did not have a failure and was trying to document my experience with getting Audi to update the Generator software as a preventative measure per the TSB instead of waiting for a total failure and generator replacement being required.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCL
Apologies - I thought we were all discussing the same problem - Alternator/Generator failure which manifests itself as the Electrical Malfunction. My comments were related in the sense that I got the same error message but did not have a failure and was trying to document my experience with getting Audi to update the Generator software as a preventative measure per the TSB instead of waiting for a total failure and generator replacement being required.
IMO no need for apologies, I think your post contributed to a better understanding of the whole situation.
ajmilan (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Just for kicks, I took the TSB in to my dealer today. Service rep recognized the issue, He said he had no authority to allow for software reprogramming without an error code. He left a message for the Service Mgr to see if it could be approved at his level. I doubt it but thought I’d try. He mentioned the issue has “settled down” inferring he sees it less frequently. But he admitted it could take up to 4 months to get the parts!

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction