Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Just for kicks, I took the TSB in to my dealer today. Service rep recognized the issue, He said he had no authority to allow for software reprogramming without an error code. He left a message for the Service Mgr to see if it could be approved at his level. I doubt it but thought I’d try. He mentioned the issue has “settled down” inferring he sees it less frequently. But he admitted it could take up to 4 months to get the parts!
did you offer to pay? i am curious if some of this is dealer desecration. maybe try a dealer in another area?
Old 01-08-2023, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Just for kicks, I took the TSB in to my dealer today. Service rep recognized the issue, He said he had no authority to allow for software reprogramming without an error code. He left a message for the Service Mgr to see if it could be approved at his level. I doubt it but thought I’d try. He mentioned the issue has “settled down” inferring he sees it less frequently. But he admitted it could take up to 4 months to get the parts!
Another thing I don't understand about Audi's policy. Isn't it better to prevent a disease than to cure it, just like in the medicine?
The cost of uploading of new software is incomparably lower than cost of replacing a damaged alternator. I can even understand that Audi does not want to make a public recall because it is a high cost, damage to the image and maybe it is not necessary in this case (although I have doubts for safety reasons) but if car owners come to dealers and ask them for a software update to avoid possible future problems with electric system malfunction?
Does anyone know what is the Audi rational behind this?
The following users liked this post:
markusla (01-09-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Another thing I don't understand about Audi's policy. Isn't it better to prevent a disease than to cure it, just like in the medicine?
The cost of uploading of new software is incomparably lower than cost of replacing a damaged alternator. I can even understand that Audi does not want to make a public recall because it is a high cost, damage to the image and maybe it is not necessary in this case (although I have doubts for safety reasons) but if car owners come to dealers and ask them for a software update to avoid possible future problems with electric system malfunction?
It's probably a matter of time. Not sure if you remember the flat tappet cam follower debacle for the B7 A4 2.0 TFSI motor. It took like 4 years before Audi extended the warranty and offered to replace broken parts. For years they said 'keep oil change intervals' the same when they knew it was a cause of failure for the cam follower.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by retom
I speculate that audi has an idea on the rate of occurrence and that they have decided it will be cheaper to deal with the issues as they happen instead of updating the software for everyone. The rational is a great question and I would also love to know formally what the rational is, but getting to someone who knows and would say might be hard.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I speculate that audi has an idea on the rate of occurrence and that they have decided it will be cheaper to deal with the issues as they happen instead of updating the software for everyone. The rational is a great question and I would also love to know formally what the rational is, but getting to someone who knows and would say might be hard.
Yes, Audi knows this problem very well because they issued TSB on this and they are of course well informed about quantity of cars waiting on spare parts. As I wrote before, I can understand that they don't want to make a public recall but I can't understand why they didn't instruct their dealers to do the software update if someone is asking for it or they have the car on routine service. When I have the car on warranty service my dealer always check by VIN if there is no any software update which concerns my car. Once even I had to sign a special form that I rejected the software update of my ECU (btw which was not warranty obligatory).
Software update costs almost nothing compared to the cost of alternator replacement and cost of loaner for the car owner.
Production or quality problems happen to every manufacturer, and they should not be condemned for it, but IMO they should be judged by how they solve these problems.
The following 3 users liked this post by retom:
ajmilan (01-08-2023), markusla (01-09-2023), ThomasWShea (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

agree. the handling at this point, given that this is so far along, is poor. at this point if audi is married to this approach, they should have it very refined. the fact that people are having to negotiate one by one for a loaner or rental is ridiculous. the wait may be out of their control, but the loaner / rental part is not.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
AdamNJ (01-08-2023), ajmilan (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 146 Posts

did you offer to pay? i am curious if some of this is dealer desecration. maybe try a dealer in another area?
No.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

agree. the handling at this point, given that this is so far along, is poor. at this point if audi is married to this approach, they should have it very refined. the fact that people are having to negotiate one by one for a loaner or rental is ridiculous. the wait may be out of their control, but the loaner / rental part is not.
I am still working to actually get someone to commit to a loaner/ rental but am striking out. I also told Audi of America at this point I am interested in a buy back as this is crazy. I am over 3 weeks in, zero updates, zero resolution and zero car to drive. Has anyone had any luck with a buy back? Do we know if that is offered or not?
Old 01-09-2023, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by horkyroj
I am still working to actually get someone to commit to a loaner/ rental but am striking out. I also told Audi of America at this point I am interested in a buy back as this is crazy. I am over 3 weeks in, zero updates, zero resolution and zero car to drive. Has anyone had any luck with a buy back? Do we know if that is offered or not?
At this point the loaner / rental is just pure luck. My car has been in the shop since middle of November. I couldn't get a loaner or rental. Dealer made it clear, it's a courtesy and they have too many cars waiting on the same problem. Basically early bird special. Keep in mind the dealers can't do much neither as the part has to come from AoA.

As for the buy back I haven't heard much but I think if you push hard enough and raise heck, it's a possibility.

I say let the legal storm brew at this point...
Old 01-09-2023, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Du
At this point the loaner / rental is just pure luck. My car has been in the shop since middle of November. I couldn't get a loaner or rental. Dealer made it clear, it's a courtesy and they have too many cars waiting on the same problem. Basically early bird special. Keep in mind the dealers can't do much neither as the part has to come from AoA.

As for the buy back I haven't heard much but I think if you push hard enough and raise heck, it's a possibility.

I say let the legal storm brew at this point...
Steve Du -- Both Audi of America and my dealer said Audi of America started a new program last week to reimburse for rental cars. My dealer is still trying to figure it out and I am making my way up the chain to get them moving. In addition, I have asked Audi about a buy back and I have contacted a lawyer who specializes in consumer rights and does class action. Will advise as I learn more on all fronts.
The following 2 users liked this post by horkyroj:
ajmilan (01-09-2023), Steve Du (01-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction