Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by horkyroj
Steve Du -- Both Audi of America and my dealer said Audi of America started a new program last week to reimburse for rental cars. My dealer is still trying to figure it out and I am making my way up the chain to get them moving. In addition, I have asked Audi about a buy back and I have contacted a lawyer who specializes in consumer rights and does class action. Will advise as I learn more on all fronts.
That's some light we all need right now. I'm waiting on official words in a form of a written letter. Documentation, man.

Also I'll be interested if that class action goes forward.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW, I was at the dealer this morning on another issue, but asked about the alternator situation. I was told that they've had 11 cases locally, and there are 700 nationwide. I was also told that a new part number is now available, one that is supposed to fix the problem. The tech seemed to indicate supplies were easing, but I didn't ask for specifics. Hope those of you waiting will get help soon.

I also asked if there was going to be an extended warrantee or recall. Nothing for sure yet, but I got the impression that dealers are expecting something along that line.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
FWIW, I was at the dealer this morning on another issue, but asked about the alternator situation. I was told that they've had 11 cases locally, and there are 700 nationwide. I was also told that a new part number is now available, one that is supposed to fix the problem. The tech seemed to indicate supplies were easing, but I didn't ask for specifics. Hope those of you waiting will get help soon.

I also asked if there was going to be an extended warrantee or recall. Nothing for sure yet, but I got the impression that dealers are expecting something along that line.
A new alternator part? We'll have to check on that, within the past month we verified the alternator part number had no changes. It is possible that it is super recent though.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric malfunction

My 2019 A6 had the electric system malfunction error on December 13 2022. Vehicle completely died on the way to the dealership, luckily I was able to stop safely. It is confirmed to be the starter generator / alternator fault that most everyone here is experience. Local dealer is out of Cary NC. There were several cars ahead of mine waiting on this part. As of today there are still 7 vehicles (Q8s and A6s) ahead of mine. It has been a month wait thus far . Anticipating atleast another month that I will be waiting. They were able to provide me a rental car and Audi USA is covering the labor/part as I am just out of warranty period. No out of pocket costs at the moment are being anticipated which is nice. Service rep mentioned they have an updated part for this issue and will update the software accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (01-15-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

VP, How many miles? Im at 64K and am hoping for assistance from Audi of some type.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by LDNCLR
VP, How many miles? Im at 64K and am hoping for assistance from Audi of some type.
52k miles. It took me a ton of back and forth but eventually they contacted Audi directly and they were able to cover it all completely. If they are unwilling to do that, I would try contacting Audi US directly, sure you’ll probably wait an hour or so and have to deal with the headache but it’s worth not having to pay $3k for something Audi screwed up. It’s a faulty part that is impacting thousands of Audis with the mild hybrid system and is very unsafe and dangerous once the part faults out. Audi knows it, the dealers know it, it’s only a matter of time before they recall it and update the part widely once supply constraints ease. Shouldn’t be any cost to the consumer at this point with all factors considered. If you do pay out of pocket, once the part is officially recalled you can be full reimbursed for what you paid.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (01-15-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

All - I contacted a lawyer today that specializes in class-action / mass-action lawsuits again auto manufactures. I have provided the firm the link to this thread along with others. They are researching the problem and will be getting back with me soon. Her initial read was "if what you are telling me is true there is a solid case here". More to come after they have some time to review!!
The following 7 users liked this post by horkyroj:
AdamNJ (01-12-2023), ajmilan (01-13-2023), angrypengu (01-13-2023), jzhu625 (01-13-2023), markusla (01-12-2023), Steve Du (01-12-2023), VP003 (01-12-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great. Please keep us updated.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Audi Q8 Malfunction

Hi all - I own and 2019 Audi Q8 that has 62k miles. The same issue everyone has mentioned happened to my car this morning. I spoke with dealership just now and was told that I will not have to pay a dime for the alternator and any other work related to the issue even though I am no longer covered by the warranty. The guy let me know that Audi has recognized that this is a widespread issue and are covering all costs and reimbursing those that have paid out of pcoket for the repairs in the past so I would recommend reaching out.

The only down side to the call was that he does estimate it will take 6 to 8 weeks until they get the part in to fix it but they do have a loaner available for us to pick up today.

I hope this helps.
The following 4 users liked this post by calebandrew24:
ajmilan (01-13-2023), angrypengu (01-13-2023), jzhu625 (01-13-2023), VP003 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stRS
Typical dealer fashion, they marked up the part $885.

I ordered my own from Audi Columbus Ohio. Of coarse part is backordered from Germany. Oh well. 7-10 days because I paid $250 “code red” expedited order.

part # 4N0-903-028-R
$1315 online Audi Columbus vs $2200 from local dealer. (Same dealer that wanted $10K plus to replace my steel brake rotors/pads).

since there’s a TSB, I strongly recommend anyone considering a tune make sure your alternator is good first.
It seems that Audi has admitted to a manufacturing defect related to the alternator and they also replace them in cars after warranty.
Perhaps in this situation you should go back to your dealer and claim back the costs you incurred in replacing the faulty alternator.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction