Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I agree w @retom that the issue is originating in the battery charging module software - if you read the TSB, that's essentially what it says.

So, I speculate that if you get the battery charging module software updated, you shouldn't ever have this issue - but you may need to lean on your dealer to get them to do this as a preventative.

I wanted to look up the alternator parts to see if the part versions in the cars have been superseded, just to see if there might also be a alternator issue - and it doesn't appear they have, except with the Q8. However, since the SQ8 and RSQ8 parts aren't superseded, I don't think we can draw the conclusion that the alternate is part of what is causing the failure. Plus the records people have provided show the new part number that are going in as replacements as matching these part numbers.

These are the parts for each Q8, these are also shared with other models.
4N0903028R is the RSQ8 part:
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_202...N0903028R.html

4N0903028P is the Q8 part:
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_202...N0903028P.html

06E903024T is the SQ8 part:
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_202...6E903024T.html

The diagram of the SQ8 part makes it look so different from the other two. I don't know why that is, maybe in reality it looks the same, but I do not have my car yet so I can't check.
The SQ8 Alternator part looks like it has a new number 06E903024TX (the X is new from above):
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_202...E903024TX.html

The Q8 an RSQ8 part numbers are the same, so far.

Is anyone aware of a better way to research this? Someone mentioned there was a new alternator - that isn't reflected in the searches I have done, so if we can get anyone to share any new part numbers, that would help people make sure they don't sign off on the old parts being installed.

Earlier when I verified the alternator part numbers hadn't ever changed, along with the TSB wording, I concluded that the issue was caused by software only. The software killed the alternator. If it is true there are new alternator parts, then I don't think I can conclude that anymore, but we also might need to be open to the fact that the old alternators might die again if there was an issue with the firmware there. It is also possible it was a software issue, and a new alternator adds firmware code to also catch the original software issue, so the newer alternator might not die even if you have the original software issue occur.

Old 01-14-2023, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
The SQ8 Alternator part looks like it has a new number 06E903024TX (the X is new from above):
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_202...E903024TX.html

The Q8 an RSQ8 part numbers are the same, so far.

Is anyone aware of a better way to research this? Someone mentioned there was a new alternator - that isn't reflected in the searches I have done, so if we can get anyone to share any new part numbers, that would help people make sure they don't sign off on the old parts being installed.

Earlier when I verified the alternator part numbers hadn't ever changed, along with the TSB wording, I concluded that the issue was caused by software only. The software killed the alternator. If it is true there are new alternator parts, then I don't think I can conclude that anymore, but we also might need to be open to the fact that the old alternators might die again if there was an issue with the firmware there. It is also possible it was a software issue, and a new alternator adds firmware code to also catch the original software issue, so the newer alternator might not die even if you have the original software issue occur.
This is remanufactured alternator. That is why it is so cheap and has different and unusual part number.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
ajmilan (01-15-2023), ThomasWShea (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by retom
This is remanufactured alternator. That is why it is so cheap and has different and unusual part number.
i didn’t even notice i was so focused on the part number. thanks for double checking me!
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So...at the risk of asking a question that's been asked before (I did read the whole thread, but my memory's not what it used to be), are owners of the cars affected by this TSB supposed to just drive around until something happens? I realize only Audi can answer that, but is there anything other than beg our dealers to update the software that can be done? Does anyone know if that will even do it; i.e. is the alternator also involved?

I have a 2022 SQ8, one year old, and it's my only vehicle; if this "other shoe drops" then I'm SOL.

Thank you for any words of commiseration.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nlk10010
So...at the risk of asking a question that's been asked before (I did read the whole thread, but my memory's not what it used to be), are owners of the cars affected by this TSB supposed to just drive around until something happens? I realize only Audi can answer that, but is there anything other than beg our dealers to update the software that can be done? Does anyone know if that will even do it; i.e. is the alternator also involved?

I have a 2022 SQ8, one year old, and it's my only vehicle; if this "other shoe drops" then I'm SOL.

Thank you for any words of commiseration.
so far, nobody has reported back that the dealer updated their software without any of the symptoms. One person reported back that the dealer checked their software, and it was already at the version specified in the TSB. The idea of paying the dealer to update the software has also been floated, but I don't know if anyone has actually asked the dealer if they could pay them for the update. Everyone that has asked the dealer to just update as a preventative it has been told no, firmly, with one reason or another cited - mostly something along the lines of "audi won't let us" which I don't know if that is true or not. I could see it being b.s. I could also see it being true. But to get that answer you'd really have to dig thru audi experience, and I feel like audi is on the look out and has they guard up on this issue, so I think you will get very groomed answers at this point.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the post summarizing the current state of information on the topic.

So the answer is, essentially, yes, we have to keep driving until we break down which will gain us entrance to Audi Service. We will then be given the opportunity to leave our cars with the dealer for who knows how long, most likely without a loaner. Gee, in comparison, Audi's reliability makes Alfa-Romeo's look like Toyota's (OK, a bit hyperbolic but not much).

Hey, I understand the reality of modern automobiles and corporate liability, but this is scary, especially when a failure of this type could occur in the middle of a busy highway.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

So the answer is, essentially, yes, we have to keep driving until we break down which will gain us entrance to Audi Service. We will then be given the opportunity to leave our cars with the dealer for who knows how long, most likely without a loaner. Gee, in comparison, Audi's reliability makes Alfa-Romeo's look like Toyota's (OK, a bit hyperbolic but not much).

Hey, I understand the reality of modern automobiles and corporate liability, but this is scary, especially when a failure of this type could occur in the middle of a busy highway.
Yes, pretty much the situation. If you're MY and model are covered in the latest TSB you will be covered without cost whether under warranty or outside of warranty - the kicker: once you've had the failure described in the TSB. I'm sure their looking for the codes thrown per the TSB in order to minimize what they need to cover.

This is significant movement in that they will cover out of warranty failures. Next step is for them to recognize the number of failures eventually meets their threshold to move to Recall status.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If a person wanted to lower downtime risk, they could order the alternator they'd need now. Then when the alternator assplodes, you could avoid the wait. If something happens, you could sell it for at least what you paid for it.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

If we look at how many cars Audi has produced with a 48V installation, theoretically the problem can affect even several hundred thousand of cars around the world. Although TSB exists, IMO Audi does not want to implement any preventive action or recall because it would cause mass visits of concerned owners of such cars to the dealers. And that the dealers and Audi itself would not be able to handle. In addition, it would be a huge image loss. So probably at Audi it was decided that "it is better to treat than to prevent" assuming that not all cars will fail, repairs will be made step by step and excessive, unnecessary interest of the public and authorities will be avoided. Because it is not a safety issue, unfortunately many manufacturers do so and only after years admit to problems in their products.
This, of course, is just my guess, which is somewhat based on some business experience.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan
Yes, pretty much the situation. If you're MY and model are covered in the latest TSB you will be covered without cost whether under warranty or outside of warranty - the kicker: once you've had the failure described in the TSB. I'm sure their looking for the codes thrown per the TSB in order to minimize what they need to cover.

This is significant movement in that they will cover out of warranty failures. Next step is for them to recognize the number of failures eventually meets their threshold to move to Recall status.
A TSB is not related to warranty. If your alternator grenades outside of warranty, the TSB will have nothing to do with whether Audi covers it or not. There are often dozens of TSB’s and they do not extend the warranty on the subject part. Audi may wind up covering all of these as goodwill or quiet recall, but not because there is a TSB.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction